55 coaches online • Server time: 19:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2012 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I guess you will just have to wait and see how the draft will run...
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2012 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Those 2 Big guys with Block will prob get snapped up pretty fast, Kinda sad i picked the open franchise with the worst pick 13th haha. Looks like i will be ghoul shopping not Mummy
WingedHuman

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this the thread for the NBFL at the moment? I need to get in some filler games, so if anyone is interested please let me know.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the thread, Wings... and if you pop on now, you can likely get a game in with someone who's waiting to see the AFC Championship game!
huff

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

What time is the game supposed to be played?
Kryten

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 18:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

11PM EST tonight, best guess.
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Many coaches can attest that I am one hell of a builder and if you see me on IRC I'm more than happy to help usually so feel free to hit me up for games.
ryanfitz

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

just dont set your guys along the end-line, he may try to surf them Smile
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2012 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

That's unfair Rfitz, I only do that to ST5 abominations like Braylon! Given the chance I'm pretty sure everyone in the NBFL would have taken that shot at him.
ex-convict

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2012 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

NBFL Draft Preview

Chris Beerman: Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the first ever NBFL draft! The National Blood Football League is currently wrapping up its eighth season, and this will be the first chance that teams get to try and upgrade their talent with college graduates for next season. So let me introduce my team, Mel Kiler Jr. and Tod McShame.

Mel Kiler Jr.: This is a very exciting day, Chris. A historic one, even.

Tod McShame: And while we don't have a previous draft class to compare it to, this class of players looks to be very solid overall. Several teams are going to improve overnight guys.

Beerman: That is the hope for fans across the nation. But can you guys explain how this whole process will work? I think many of us are still confused about some of the details.

McShame: Basically each NBFL team will get to pick one player from a draft pool of graduates from the National College Blood Bowl group to bring to their team. Then they will have the offseason to bring his college skills to the pro level so that he's ready to go for the season opener.

Kiler Jr.: What my friend McShame failed to mention is that these potential draftees are split into groups: Linemen, Skilled, Blitzers, Strength, and Big Guys. Some teams may not be able to pick certain players due to their schemes, but just about everyone will be an option. The only question is whether they will be available when it is your turn to pick.

McShame: And that is the interesting part of the draft: who you should pick when your turn does come around. Over the course of this program, Mel and I will identify some of the best available players and some good potential fits, though it's likely that we'll disagree quite often.

Kiler Jr.: No we won't.

McShame: ...Moving on, there is a lot of intrigue at the top of the draft this year. Three teams from last year that weren't very good, Wintersota, Carolina, and Baltimorus, will all have a chance to potentially pick an impact player. What kind of player will each team be looking for Mel?

Kiler Jr.: Well Wintersota and Carolina have similar schemes but their teams are vastly different. The Vikromancers actually have four really, really good players on their team. They could still use a few more athletic skilled guys to diversify their roster, as well as another road-block to man the lines. Meanwhile the NecromPanters could use help in a number of areas, and will likely subscribe to the 'best available player' philosophy. Finally we have Pactus Baltimorus, who could likewise go several directions. Their front line is massive, but they are lacking true impact defenders, so that could be a direction that they go in the draft.

Beerman: Very good insight guys. But what player category seems to be the strongest in this draft class?

McShame: Personally, I like the collection of talent in the Skilled group. Many of the players are versatile and can help their teams immediately.

Kiler Jr.: I'm going to have to disagree and go with the Blitzer group. There are only a few true blitzers in this class, but several of the hybrid players can be impact guys.

Beerman: Moving down in the draft, there's an interesting situation with the number 11 and 12 picks in the draft, where division rivals Philadelphia and Knutington have back-to-back picks. Could Philly potentially draft someone who doesn't perfectly fit with their roster just because it keeps them away from rival Knutington?

Kiler Jr.: I don't think so, Chris. Philly fans are notoriously unhappy with anything less than a championship, and if the Cheesgles don't pick the best player on the board at 11, their fans will go berserk.

McShame: Actually I wouldn't put it past any team to have a little gamesmanship in the draft, trying to keep good players away from future opponents. What better way to not have to gameplan to stop a certain player than to have him on your team instead? Whether Philly chooses to deny the Wolfskins a player that they have targeted remains to be seen, but it's certainly an option.

Beerman: It's always interesting when division rivalries spill over to off-the-field events to be sure. How about teams that were oh-so-close to playoff appearances but were ultimately left out of the picture? Teams like Dallas at 17, the ATL at 18, and the Jets at 20. And let's not fail to mention the return of the old Pittsburgh squad who picks at 19. What should these teams target in the draft so they can make it over the hump for next season?

McShame: Dallas has a few good players but really lacks two things: a devastating hitter that is good at piling on opponents, in addition to some offensive targets for their passing game. Meanwhile the ATL has a super-talented lizard-line, but could use some specialty players at the skill positions. Lastly the Jetz have developed a solid team, but don't have many true impact players, so they'll look to add one in the draft.

Kiler Jr.: As for the return of the Pirates, they still have a lot of their old pieces in place despite the layoff for a few seasons. But their glaring weakness is that they need another dynamic player to pair with "The Bus", otherwise their return will be a disappointment.

Beerman: I know that teams can't get exactly who they want in the draft, but if we were using hypotheticals, what are a few 'matches made in heaven' in this draft?

Kiler Jr.: I think that Buffalo would be thrilled if "Stiffen" Ryan Griffin from UCon fell to them at 21, as he fits the team's personality perfectly with his skill-set: block, DP, and +AG.

McShame: And I believe that it goes without saying that San Frenzy at 24 will hope that another athletic freak falls to them, as they seem to collect them on that team like trading cards. Not that anyone else in the league wants to see them get any stronger or more agile.

Beerman: They sure don't, but all teams will have to deal with a few future superstars from this draft. So who are the best three players in this draft class, in your estimations?

McShame: My top three, in no specific order: Matthew Pritchett Jr. from Navy, as he can fill either a Strength or Big Guy roll, and has block, guard, BT, and tackle. Another is the infamous NCBB villain Bill "Falecated Duck" Gembala from Oregon, a Skill player with +AG, dodge, block, and sits on 49 spps so he has potential to get even better. And my sleeper pick is LeShon Johnson from NLH, a Skill player with SS and +AG. LeShon may not be as talented now, but he likewise has potential to get better as he sits on 29 spps.

Kiler Jr.: It's hard to argue with Bill Gembala, but the legendary "Hairy" Harris Agbor from UCon could be just as good in a different roll. He is a Skill player with block, dodge, MB, and sits on 48 spps. The most versatile player in this draft is Bill Pace from Vampirebilt with a block, dodge, and +AG skillset, but he can also fill one of three rolls: Skilled, Blitzer, or Strength. Finally the most intriguing player in this draft is Skelland Crossbonies from Navy, a Blitzer with +MA, +MA, MB, and shadowing. He won't be a perfect fit for many teams, but someone is going to get quite a talent with this guy.

Beerman: The amount of work that you guys put into the pre-draft process is just amazing. But for the 32 teams in the league, they still have a little more work to do as draft day approaches. Be sure to tune in for our live coverage and then post-draft analysis of each pick. For my colleagues Mel and Tod, thanks for joining us here today.

Don't drop the soap.
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2012 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Let the fun begin! We all know that the real competition in the draft is for Mr Irrelevant, and this season the honour of making that pick goes to San Dogo of the AFC West. For now though we wait on coach Crimsonwolf of the Vikromancers to make this seasons #1 pick.

Good luck coaches!
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2012 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The pick is in and the honour of being the first ever NBFL draft pick goes to Brian Schwicke of the California Golden Lizards. We can only wish him the best as the Wintersota Vikromancer's new Flesh Golem and hope that coach Crimsonwolf can get the best out of this rising star.

We wait now on coach Ritzi's picks for Carolina and Baltimorus.
Mercutio

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2012 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

News just hitting the wires

Quote:
The Extra-Sensory Perception Network can now reveal that the #1 pick has already removed one possibility from the Low'uns draft board. GM Martin Mayhem revealed that he had been in contact with Brian Schwicke's representatives, though both Martin and Head Coach Jim Schmackz stated they thought it unlikely that Brian would fall far enough in the draft for the Low'uns to pick up the Golden Lizards Lineman.

Team owner Mercutio told members of the press "Detroit are looking at a number of players and we feel we have identified players who could become an integral part of the team to push forwards in the coming season".

More from ScarCentre after this break.
Apojar

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2012 - 03:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Howdy NBFL fans. Apojar here.

I would like to offer you what was my mock draft for this, the first draft of the NBFL. This is for those of you/us that just can't wait to get drafting, as it's going a little slow at the start. I needed a fix. Much homage to:

Ryanfitz - for totally addicting me to this...
Ex-Con: for his always great and incredibly insightful predictions/previews.

NOTE: The first 4 picks were already in place at the time of writing this mock up, so I'm starting at pick 5...

#5 - St. Louis (CD)
Selection: Bill Pace (Vampirebilt - Block/Dodge/+AG - 36 points)
Position: Bull Centaur (Strength Section)

St. Louis has a few needs to address: a 6th CDB and some more utility in the Hobgoblin core. Bill Pace, however, really would function best for the Daams as a Blodging/+AG Bull. The choices are there in the ranks for a somewhat decent 6th CDB, but according to our rating system (which is highly classified), the BC is the best choice for making the best, and most immediate impact for the boys from STL.

#6 - Tampa Bay (Skaven)
Selection: Thin Lizzy Jr. (N.L.H. - Block/Guard/Break Tackle - 33 points)
Position: Rat Ogre (Big Guy Section)

Tampa Bay is a brand new franchise. They already own 4 Gutters, 2 Blitzers, a Thrower, and linerats. They, as of yet, do not own a Rat Ogre. Looking over the list of available players in skilled and blitzers, there are some very good players, but it would be very difficult for the Tampa Bay franchise to pass over a guaranteed-Block Rat Ogre to be dealing some damage in the NFC South. Add to the fact that he comes with Guard and Break Tackle, and you have someone that instantly makes a large difference on a new squad.

#7 - Houston (Lizardmen)
Selection: Art Guepe (Vampirebilt - Block/Sure Hands/+AG - 36 points)
Position: Skink (Lineman Section)

There are a number of needs for the Houston squad, including the 6th saurus. The current saurii on the Houston roster are very imposing, so the 6th saurus will be welcome, but won't have ridiculous pressure put on him right away to perform. One thing that the current Texasaurus squad will struggle with early is reliable ball handling, which is why Guepe makes the most sense to us for Houston. Guepe makes the most immediate impact, and will really help to put fannies in the seats for Houston.

#8 - Aryzona (Skaven)
Selection: Marcus Easley (Connecticut - Block/Dodge/+AG - 42 points)
Position: Thrower (Skilled Section)

Rarely in the NBFL, as in the NFL, do you get to draft someone to potentially be your franchise quarterback/ball-handler. With 3 Gutter Runners on the squad already, and a fairly decent "front line" to work with already, reliable ball control and more accurate passing will make these skaven that much more difficult to get at that ball.

#9 - Green Bay (Slann)
Selection: Derrork Clark (Pain St. - Block/Dodge/Accurate - 35 points)
Position: Catcher (Skilled Section)

This wasn't an easy choice to come up with, but we felt it to be the best option for Green Bay. Their blitzer core is solid. Their Krox is well-trained. Their linemen aren't ridiculous; they're solid though. They have everything they could require with the exception of a Dirty Player. The only thing, we felt, that could make them instantly much more formidable is to have reliable, quality ball control. An AG4 ball handler to distribute to any of these players is wonderful for the Slann. On top of that, give him Accurate, and that ball is going to get to wherever it needs to go to, and quickly.

#10 - Denver (Undead)
Selection: Jarod Bryant Jr. (Navy - Block/+AG - 19 points)
Position: Ghoul (Skilled Section)

This was an interesting choice by our committee. We waffled on this choice with a Lineman that fits the idea of the squad very well, but ultimately, the impact of a 2nd +AG Ghoul to the squad is a benefit that is very hard to pass up for Denver. The wights and mummies are going to punish those that stand in their path. A 4th ghoul with the 7MA will be hard to run down with the remaining few players on the pitch (don't forget the Dirty zombie squad).

#11 - Philadelphia (Skaven)
Selection: Blake "Hartlaub's Duck" Hausladen (Oregon - Kick/+ST - 27 points)
Position: Linerat (Lineman Section)

Well, here's where the committee came back with a head-scratcher. We were very surprised to see this. There was the fact that Philly already had a kicker. The committee pointed out that the franchise MIGHT have been hoping to see a Big Guy drop to them at #11. They also pointed out that the GR's on the squad are very diverse and developed. The blitzing core is young, but well disciplined so far. There were only two areas that "could use improvement", according to the committee. Philly's Rat Ogre is young. There isn't a veteran Big Guy left in the draft, however, so the committee chose to examine the linerats. Two Blockers, a Kicker, and a Dirty Player also have very nice "depth", but adding +ST into the mix gives the Cheesgles an added wrinkle that they can employ.

#12 - Grindianapolis (Dwarf)
Selection: LeShon Johnson (N.L.H. - Side Step/+AG - 29 points)
Position: Runner (Skilled Section)

This seems like a no-brainer to the committee. The Zoltans are very evenly developed, extremely well-coached, and work as a great well-oiled team. Their hitters/blitzers are spot on where they need to be. The only possible thing that could really cause this team to have a bump in the road is unsteady or unsure ball-handling. Getting +AG on a runner for the Zoltans seems like a complete win. A Runner with Side Step also frustrates opponents to no end. At 29 points, all it will take is one run down the field to put block on him.

#13 - Tennessee (Underworld)
Selection: "Stiffen" Ryan Griffin (Connecticut - Block/Dirty Player/+AG - 34 points)
Position: Underworld Goblin (Lineman Section)

An Underworld Goblin care really make a big difference to this squad, especially one with the talent available from Mr. Griffin. There is some quality removal on the team now, with some +AG already sprinkled in there. The hopes is that the Underworld powers that be don't have to take DP on anything but a goblin. This guy not only has DP, but comes with Block AND +AG. He proves to be incredibly versatile, which is why the committee felt he fit Tennessee's scheme perfectly.

#14 - Knutington (Norse)
Selection: Ben Criddle (BYU - Guard - 14 points)
Position: Snow Troll (Big Guy Section)

Criddle was the last of the Big Guys available on the board. These norse are so very well balanced in their approach (currently constructed) that the only thing that could help them was someone who could possibly take a few hits off of their core players. Criddle also comes with Guard, which the Norsemen will put to good use immediately.

#15 - Detroit/Detroilet (Dwarf)
Selection: Marvin "Starvin'" Jones (California - +AG/Side Step/Diving Tackle - 39 points)
Position: Blocker/Longbeard (Lineman Section)

This guy, when added to this particular well-balanced dwarven squad may become (committee's words) "the most annoying and talked about dwarven player to ever take the pitch for the NBFL". He won't move terribly fast. If, however, he gets position on you, he will be awfully difficult to elude. This team is simply too balanced to look anywhere else in the draft other than Jones. He fits the well-balanced motif, and brings an extra set of skills to the squad which will have people cursing him before very long...

#16 - Cincinnati (Skaven)
Selection: Chris "Wood Duck" Ryan (Oregon - Dirty Player - 13 points)
Position: Linerat (Lineman Section)

This was not a seccksi choice by the committee, but it fills a need right away. The committee couldn't be sure if the front office of Cincinnati thought that one of the Big Guys would fall this low. They have 4 solid Gutters, a good reliable Thrower, 2 young but good blitzers, and useful linerats. The most useful thing they can add in the draft, seeing no Big Guy fall to them, was a Dirty Player. The committee suspected that Cincinnati's front office also hoped that Ryan Griffin may fall to here, but to no avail. Cincinnati drafts then according to a pressing need for an immediately useful linerat.

#17 Dallas (Chaos Pact)
Selection: JL Crane (Vampirebilt - Block/Strip Ball - 18 points)
Position: Marauder (Lineman Section)

Nothing seccksi about this pick, but fits a need. The POMBboys can REMOVE in abundance. No question. They lack a bit of "blodge depth", in the fact that they may struggle with a ball-carrying Blodger. The committee felt that picking up a Stripper may enhance their chances of playing even better defense.

#18 - Atlant'l (Lizardman)
Selection: Henry Worth Thornton (Vampirebilt - Block/+MA - 29 points)
Position: Skink (Lineman Section)

None of the +AG folks fell this low in the lineman category, which is somewhat disappointing for the Falchions. They can put to immediate use a stat-enhanced skink, and that's exactly what they'd do with Thornton. While it's not +AG, +MA on a skink is nothing to shake a stick at. Now, add block to said skink, and that's a pretty reliable little guy. The committee absolutely refused to entertain a Big Guy or a Strength pick here.

If I may quote one of the committee members, Lord Montague P. Savage, Esq., "if that offensive line of Atlanta doesn't all go into the Hall of Fame together, I will burn down many many stadiums throughout the League in protest".

#19 - Pittsburgh (CD)
Selection: "Hairy" Harris Agbor (Connecticut - Block/Dodge/MB - 48 points)
Position: Bull Centaur (Strength Section)

Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain is fine, with its 6 CDB's fairly established. They have ball handling somewhat under control with a well established Sure Hands individual. They are currently sporting 2 young Bulls, and this upgrades one of them very nicely, giving Pittsburgh a mobile Blodging Blitzer who is just about ready for skill #4.

#20 - New York Jets (Chaos)
Selection: Navarro Bowman (Penn St. - Guard/MB/Tackle - 41 points)
Position: Beastman (Blitzer Section)

New York's front 4 seems to be coming along nicely, but their support is critical. Among the beastmen supporting the CW's, there are only 2 Guards (one of whcih is the back-up QB), one Tackler, and NO MB'ers. Bowman fits a crucial need right away for the Jetz.

#21 - Buffalo (Chaos)
Selection: Zac "Big Mac" Zielinski (Connecticut - Block/MB/Guard/Break Tackle - 51 points)
Position: Chaos Warrior (Strength Section)

Buffalo's team is starting to age a bit. Members of their killer squad from just a few short seasons ago are retiring or dying. They are starting a rookie Minotaur this season, and looked like they would be doomed to start a rookie CW as well... until Big Mac fell to Buffalo at 21. He fits a huge need at CW that was just too great for Buffalo to pass up.

#22 - Fangsas City (Vampire)
Selection: D'Elvyra Dischorde (D.D. Tech - Block/MA - 17 points)
Position: Thrall (Lineman Section)

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, Fangsas City does not need a Vampire. They really could have used a potential +AG to fall to them, but that was a bit too much to ask. They do, however, pick up a stat monger with +MA, which will help out a very thin line of thralls.

#23 - Oakland (Dark Elf)
Selection: D'Ashanti Demonfury (D.D. Tech - Block/Side Step/MB - 35 points)
Position: Witch Elf (Skilled Section)

Oakland was looking for a little added oomph to its arsenal. The addition of Demonfury to play alongside McPain seems like a very natural fit for coach Ex-Con.

#24 - San Francisco (Dark Elf)
Selection: Sawblade Lee (Penn St. - Dodge/Guard/Tackle/SF - 56 points)
Position: Blitzer (Blitzer Section)

San Fran's player situation is a bit touch-and-go at the moment, requiring so much hired help to get by. Sawblade Lee makes an instant impact into a very well-established core of Blitzers. Quite simply, SF takes the best player left on the board, and it fits a need.

#25 - Jacksonville (Orc)
Selection: Trevor Flynn (California - Block/Frenzy/MB - 36 points)
Position: Black Orc Blocker (Strength Section)

With the very sudden departure of Will Rackley in the next to last match of the regular season, Jacksonville had a gaping hole to fill at the BOB position, and Flynn fits in perfectly.

#26 - New Khemri (if I have to tell you, you're silly)
Selection: Brandork Ware (Penn St - Guard - 13 points)
Position: Skeleton (Lineman Section)

No Big Guys available this late in the draft, so a Mummy was out. The Blitzer choice down this low would not have been any better than the two Blitz-Ras in place. Same situation with the Throw-Ras. The only remaining pieces of the puzzle were Skeletons. New Khemri has a theme here. Either you Guard, or you play Dirty. Guard is of great value to New Khemri, so they add to an already developed skeleton core.

#27 - MonAmi (Pro Elf)
Selection: Antonio Steele Jr. (Navy - Block/Tackle - 28 points)
Position: Lineman (Lineman Section)

At this point in the draft, there isn't much to add that is of signifigance, compared to MonAmi's current players. They are more than fine with the Thrower/Catcher core they currently employ. That leaves the Blitzers and Linemen. Unfortunately, there isn't a Blitzer left on the board that is a "significant" upgrade over what is in place. The committee, therefore, felt that a skilled Lineman would be what MonAmi would be drafting. They pick up Steele, who adds Tackle to the ranks, and is only a TD away from skill #3.

#28 - Cleaveland (Dark Elf)
Selection: Jeremethrius Bluetooth (Kalmar St. - Kick/Tackle - 16 points)

Let's face it, folks. This team is pretty darn good. There isn't all that much, if anything, that they're "lacking" or "shy on". The only things they currently don't have are a Kicker and a DP. Since no DP fell to them, Cleaveland elects to draft Bluetooth, who also comes with the team's 4th Tackle. There just wasn't anyone on the board for a Blitzer that could have given Cleaveland any kind of upgrade over their current Blitzers, or their young Witch Elves.

#29 - Nawlins (Death Machine.... I mean, Chaos)
Selection: David Nixon (BYU - Block - 14 points)
Position: Beastman (Lineman Section)

There isn't much that Nawlins needs, but the beauty here is this. 2 more SPP's for Nixon, and he's already a MB'er or a Claw, or a DP'er. The path is very easy, and very flexible for coach BillBrasky to mold him into whatever he may need, and quickly.

#30 - Elfigo (High Elf)
Selection: Ryan Diem (N.L.H. - Frenzy - 15 points)
Position: Blitzer (Blitzer Section)

This team, up and down, might be the most balanced offensive attack that is in the NBFL. There is little need to tinker with anything here. Diem, however, is enough of an upgrade to their Blitzer package to warrant coach Kyyberi taking him at #30.

#31 - New Angryland (CD)
Selection: David Allen the Red (Kalmar St. - Guard/SF - 17 points)
Position: CD Blocker (Blitzer Section)

Have you seen this team play? Moreover, have you FELT this team play? There really isn't anything these guys need to improve on. Having said that, coach Licker may feel more comfortable starting Allen in the Blocker line over a rookie. He fits very nicely into the complement with Guard and Stand Firm.

#32 - San Dogo (Human)
Selection: Gary Spanisson (Kalmar St. - +MA/Strip Ball - 16 points

Well, Mr. Irrelevant was a Lineman, as many of us had figured would happen. There isn't much left that would be of tremendous utility to the reigning AFC Champions. Having said that, they pick up a Stripper with extra movement, making coach Kryten's plans for world domination one space easier to reach.

So, over all, how did the various colleges do with kids getting drafted?

BYU - 2
D.D. Tech - 2
California - 3
Oregon - 3
N.L.H. - 3
Kalmar St. - 3
Vampirebilt - 4
Connecticut - 4
Pain St. - 4
Navy - 4

There you have it folks. Enjoy, and comment away!
Apo
Apojar

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2012 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Good evening everyone. This is my draft analysis. I do not mean to upset/stir up anyone, but I produce this as fluffy goodness for you to enjoy. Or flame me. It's your choice. Whatever you choose, it's only meant to be fun and possibly insightful.

With that, I begin my fluff...

Welcome to bonus coverage by BSDN (Blood Sports Daily Network). Now, here are your fantasy hosts, Stabbem Chefcter and Kill Wiper Jr.

CHEFCTER:
Good evening, fans. Stabbem Chefcter and Kill Wiper Jr. here to offer our review of the first ever NBFL Draft. Let's jump right into it with the first 5 teams, and talk about their selections.

WIPER JR.:
Sounds great, Stabbem. Let's go! I'll start us off.

WINTERSOTA:
Race: Necromantic
Draftee: Brian Schwinke (Flesh Golem)
Skills: Block, (+ST) - 22 points
Grade of Pick: A (see below)

+ST is obvioiusly at a premium in any situation, as there's only a 1 in 36 opportunity to acquire a stronger player. This year, there were two possibiiities, and Schwinke adds a lot of depth to what we can only call a very vanilla squad. Why do I say that? Well, the stars are very good, don't get me wrong, but the underbelly, or the support as I call them, is a one-trick pony. It's DP, DP, and more DP.

It is Coach Crimsonwolf's belief that the team shall not employ a ghoul. That is his belief, so we must take that into account when making a grade for the draft choice, otherwise the grade would be lower due to the bevy of excellent choices for a skilled ghoul that were available.

Schwinke becomes a very difficult player to deal with, as is his counterpart, Kevin Williams (Blodge/Guard). The Fleshies will tie up many a slower, less agile player while the wights and the Blitzing werewolf (one ww is the ball carrier for this team) tear open a hole for the other. A solid pick for this squad.

CHEFCTER: Ok, my turn to take a swing at a team!

CAROLINA
Race: Necromantic
Draftee: Skelland Crossbones (we'll guess a Wight)
Skills: (+MA), (+MA), MB, Shadowing - 61 pts.
Grade of Pick: B-

Carolina needed a lot in the off-season, and they're not done building as of yet. In honestly, let's face it. They haven't even started building yet....

Their werewolves are experienced Blodgers, and step from side to side. It would be very easy to fire one and hire Crossbones as a werewolf, but his protetion around him would have to be significant. The current roster just would not offer a werewolf without Dodge or Block enough protection to stay on the field. Add into the fact that you don't really want to leave a werewolf marking a player, even with Shadowing, as you would much rather keep the werewolf safe. Without the complement of Sidestep, the Shadowing becomes slightly less useful, as he can just be blocked off.

That leads us to look at the wight position. A rookie is currently there. An MA8 Block/Regen/Shadowing/MB guy looks pretty darn good, and still not the glowing beacon of a target that those werewolves are for the Carolina squad. The squad needs so much help currently that it's tough to fairly grade the pick any better until the team goes through its OTA's/Training Camp.

WIPER JR: Team number 3....

BALTIMORE
Race: Chaos Pact
Draftee: Matthew Pritchard Jr. (Chaos Troll)
Skills: Block/Guard/Tackle/Break Tackle
Grade of Pick: A+

There is no denying this pick is an absolute slam dunk for the Pactus Baltimorus. If you break down the sections that were available at the time, and compare it to what their needs were, this is a home run. Getting a Blocking Big Guy makes Baby Jeebus smile, but then sprinkle Tackle on him, and Baby Jeebus makes an appearance at Mardi Gras with beads aplenty. There simply wasn't an enormously dynamic Marauder to draft. There wasn't a VAST improvement to add as a dark elf, or a skaven lineman. This was the absolute logical choice, and Baltimore hits it right on the head.

CHEFCTER: Let's look now at the Seattle squad.

SEATTLE:
Race: Norseman
Draftee: Bill "Falecated Duck" Gembala
Skills: Block, Dodge, (+AG)
Grade of Pick: B-

This guy is pretty damn good on any team that you put him on, but let's analyze the current squad here. The Snow Troll is arguably "great". The two Ulfs are top notch. One of the two Berserkers are excellent (Blodge/MB/(+AG)). That leaves the possibility of one berserker, a new Lineman, or a Thrower. The Linemen are decent, but the abscence of a Thrower is glaring.

So, Coach Latiluke and his front office look down the list of available throwers (skilled section), and pick the cream of the crop, Gembala. He comes (normally) just two points away from getting Accurate or Sure Hands. He comes "demoted", however, since the Canhawks all already feature the Block skill. The pick is only rated as a "B-" because though it's the correct position to be drafting for, it was NOT (in our eyes here as BSDN) the BEST choice they could have selected for their squad.

WIPER JR: Let's look at the 5th team to draft now.

ST. LOUIS
Race: Chaos Dwarf
Draftee: Trevor Flynn (Bull Centaur)
Skills: Block, Frenzy, MB (36 points)
Grade of Pick: D

I know that's a strong message with such a low grade, but here's why...

The St. Louis squad has/had a great deal of needs to fill for its roster. It is lacking a 6th Chaos Dwarf Blocker. It's Hobgoblin core, though depleted, isn't awful. In fact, it's a bit balanced. They currently do NOT employ a Minotaur. They also had, for all intent and purpose, a rookie bull centaur to complement Aaron Brown, their ball handling Bull Centaur.

Looking at the list of available Blitzers that were out there, a Bull Centaur was the best choice for St. Louis, but they drafted, and this is my personal feeling, not the national opinion, the wrong guy.

There was a Blitzer still available for 42 points named Marcus Easley, who came with Block, Dodge, and +AG, which is a WIN WIN on a Bull Centaur. Why is it a WIN WIN, you ask? I offer you the example of how hard it is to deal with the pair of Blodging BC's that New Angryland currently employs. Those two guys alone are a huge reason why they qualify for AFC Championship game after AFC Championship game. Now, throw +AG on top of Blodge, and that is a home run for a Bull Centaur. Quite simply, it doesn't even come down to a matter of having two ball handling BC's. Easley will find it 5 times easier to blitz someone with dodge and AG3 than Flynn.

Aside from that, Flynn's skill set is Block, Frenzy, MB. That's not a bad skill set, to be sure, but there are no doubles or stats there. Any bull could be built up to feature that skill set. Easley's skills would have paid far more dividends, and faster.

It may have been the MB/Frenzy combination that attracted St. Louis to Flynn. If that was the case, however, you can just as easily employ a Minotaur who comes with MB and Frenzy as a rookie. Minotaurs aren't perfect (believe me, we at BSDN have this discusion day in and day out), but at the very least, they tie up lesser players, and take hits so the Hobgoblins and BC's don't have to.

St. Louis may have felt this was a matter of having a BC that was more of a Blitzer-only type of player. We here at BSDN can understand that, but then Harris Agbor should have been the choice, being a Blodger with MB. He's still a hitter, but you have a bit more of a chance to break free with him to hit someone.

To add to it, Agbor was/is only a TD away from adding Break Tackle to his repetoire of skills, sitting at 48 spp. Agbor was available to St. Louis at the 5th overall pick, and St. Louis missed out on the player they really needed the most.

CHEFCTER: Well BSDN Fantasy fans, we're through the first 5 picks of this year's inagural NBFL Fantasy Draft, but we have to take a commercial break.

WIPER JR: Stick around, because next segment, we examine picks 6-10. You won't want to miss it, as we're going to hand out another very low grade to one of those teams. Who is it? Stick around and see.

CHEFCTER: We'll be right back after these messages, folks. You're watching BSDN, the Blood Sports Daily Network.
 Jump to: