76 coaches online • Server time: 23:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do I replace Alamo? And if I do, what do I replace him with?
Keep him. You shouldn't cut healthy players, and by the way, you're a filthy min/maxxer
34%
 34%  [ 18 ]
Keep him. He's a 5ag High Elf thrower, and pretty cool.
48%
 48%  [ 25 ]
Fire him. Get a new thrower and stick to the basics this time.
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Fire him. Get a catcher, because throwers suck.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fire him, Keep Him, I don't care because I don't understand your stupid only 2 catchers strategy which sucks you should have all positionals because that makes the team better. (pie)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 52

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

So, Alamo was once the brightest star of the Thorontaesi Saints. The +AG blodging thrower was a huge part of the team's early success, capable of either slowly marching down the field in a cage or chucking it the length of the field to a teammate. The team's all-time leading rusher and passer has made 49 completions in 31 games.

Unfortunately, after a stellar start, Thorontaesi has slumped into mediocrity with a 2-2-2 record in their last 6 games. My attempt to broaden the player's skillset by taking mighty blow was also a huge mistake, and now what was already a luxury player is saddled with an almost useless 30tv skill.

There's lots of reasons to keep this player. The all-time casualty record for High Elf throwers is 13, and I'm sure I could break that with him if I wanted. He'd be pretty easy to get to legend, with his triple threat of hitting, passing, or scoring. He's still obviously very good at picking up the ball and throwing it downfield, and he's the team's only sure hands. Unfortunately, he's just not really worth 220tv. Since this team (unlike my somewhat notorious Wood Elves) is supposed to be taking on all comers and not picking, he's become a bit of a white elephant.

The team has a pair of 5ag leaping stars who can do everything this guy brings to the table. Just not sure I need three 5ag guys on this team, and I'd probably be better off developing some linemen now. I've tried getting this dude killed, but he's incredibly resilient with 8AV and blodge. He refuses to die on the pitch, so I may have to force the issue.
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

HE throwers are nice - able to keep the ball deep in your end and then quickly bring it forward for the score. One thing is the thrower should never be getting hit - he should be hanging back - using your same skill rolls:
+AG, Sure Hands, Dodge, Accurate, Nerves of Steel

Not a ton of need to get block on a thrower. The one drawback of the thrower is the slow movement. Dodge helps with this - as does accurate because it allows a better chance of 2+ passing.

In the case of an AG 5 thrower - this is very nice because it makes safe throw a 2+ roll instead of 3+. So AG 5 and accurate thrower can toss up to 9 spaces at 2+ with RR and if there is INT, it is 2+ to avoid it (can team RR that). An excellent offensive weapon.

On a new thrower - I would suggest: Sure hands --> Dodge --> Accurate
Those are the 3 key skills...leader, kick and such I may take before Block depending on team and situation.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 07:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with all of this... especially the Sure hands --> Dodge --> Accurate progression. The 6MA is awful, but I do like having a thrower.

The case for block was for elf defense. You need sure hands somewhere, and the thrower is the obvious place for it. If I don't block the thrower, don't I have to take surehands on someone who DOES have block for wardancer defense? Or do I just elfball it up and trade 2-turns with woodies? I don't see how skipping block on the thrower ends up saving me any TV.

I'd be pretty happy with sure hands, dodge, accurate, block, kick, leader on my next thrower. Hell, dump off might have been nice on the 5ag one in hindsight. Not sure what you see in nerves of steel. The 5AG leapers are both better retrievers, and I doubt I'd find a lot of other uses for it?

Pretty sure that leap, tackle, dump off, nerves of steel, guard, leader, accurate, or kick were all better choices than mighty blow. Angry at myself for wrecking a good piece.
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Nerves of Steel is a fairly uncommon skill. In fact if it was not for pro elf catchers starting with Nerves of Steel it would probably be at the level of diving catch and sneaky git as far as how often you would see it.

One of the reasons that NoS is not commonly picked is that many of the situations it would be useful (throwing or receiving in tackle zones) also means that you are risking interceptions. This is why an AG 5 safe throw thrower is one of the few players that would really benefit from NoS. You can dodge in to recover a loose ball (AG 5 dodge + sure hands) - then just throw it from wherever you pick it up at 2+ pass up to 6 spaces with the 2+ safe throw to counter the INT chance.

Another side benefit (and one I assume you already use since you are AG 5) is that you can mark someone with the thrower before making the pass. I often do this with throwers who have accurate - run up and mark a player if you are making a quick pass. NoS just makes this more effective - about to mark players and then pass. Now I am not saying you should go run up and mark killers with your fragile thrower or something - but it can make a huge different in the positioning of a turn to be able to mark an AG 3 lineman with your thrower before passing - then you cage up, but now opponent is forced to make an extra dodge to blitz the catcher or something similar.

Anyway - I enjoy pro elves a lot so I respect the value of NoS more. I have heard that coaches that use Slann a lot learn to use diving catch more (like tossing to a slann catcher in a tackle zone is still 2+ to catch it, then they 2+ leap away).
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep him 2-2-2 is not such a bad stretch if taking on all comers. That record could be more indicative of opponent strength and not your own team.

What your team needs is better Linemen at this point. Feed a few easy TD's and Quick Passes to your Linemen and get the skills you need to Elf it up right. You need at least 2 to 4 with Dodge, a Kicker and at least 1 Dirty Player.

Your Thrower is such a good baller AND your best hitter.
Why give up both when what you really need is better role players?

Last edited by Catalyst32 on %b %21, %2013 - %08:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
C3I2

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Block+Dodge was fine. Using a double is ok, sort of, but guard, or indeed the non doubles leap/accuracy would probably been better. He does not deserve a cut, try to do some reckless ball pickups to pass out for a quick score, if you really wont care if he dies. You will soon recover the old love.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I vote option 6 (The REAL pie option):

Eat pie.

This has nothing to do with understanding what is going on, or why you play the way you do. It has everything to do with pie. You have sullied pie's good name, and for that sir, you should retire him.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting observations on NOS. Not really convinced its better than some of the other options (kick, leader), but I've already screwed up the player so it's moot.
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Block, dodge, accurate and sure hands are all perfect skills for an HE-Thrower. As a perfectionist i would have choosen strong arm as double skill so you would throw a long bomb with 2+ and rr.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are ahead of the curve with your understanding of how to keep the team in TV check by not throwing all the catchers on it.
I would suggest bringing on a new thrower and get him close to 16 spp before you truely consider firing.
I have personally found that Dump-Off/NoS/W is perfect for a High Elf thrower because when it comes to scoring, your other players would do well to score so your thrower isn`t soaking up the SPP.
I have more thoughts about the team and its functionality..feel free to hit me up and we can chat about it some.

uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

He is ideal for collecting and distributing loose balls at the moment, which is really very important for all types of elves IMO. I would keep him and use him agressively in that role.

And listen to Azure...
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep.

He adds 130k (over a rookie catcher). I think he's a pretty versatile and useful player for that cost.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

how long before this turns into a picking commentary thread? my guess - page 2.

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

Your post was on page 1...

So...

Personally I have a hard time firing healthy players unless they are rookie linemen I 'acquired' (rotters/zombies) and don't need. I probably have on a team with a huge bank and several mngs, taken extra players to get a bench and then fired some of them after the mngs are back.

But firing a healthy positional just smacks of being a total douchebag.

If you really don't like him because of the MB (I would have taken SA or skipped the doubles) then pick a tackle/pomb team and leave him exposed over and over.

Oooops, I just told you to keep on picking Cool
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2013 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

This is a min-max thread, not a picking thread.

Guess I'll keep him for a while.
 Jump to: