35 coaches online • Server time: 15:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not +st? He could get five more!
St 7 slave ftw!
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

ST3 gets a 3D block on a player with ST1. ST3 player needs TWO assists to get a 3D block on a ST2 player. Take the ST+
garyt1

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
St 7 slave ftw!

No more than 2 st gains allowed but +2st, +2ag, +2ma would be cool.

I think s1 is a player you can be forgiven for if you didn't use the +1st as he is still weak. Though as people say in stunty it helps as a ball carrier and there should be less tv focus.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Roland wrote:
St 7 slave ftw!

No more than 2 st gains allowed but +2st, +2ag, +2ma would be cool.

I think s1 is a player you can be forgiven for if you didn't use the +1st as he is still weak. Though as people say in stunty it helps as a ball carrier and there should be less tv focus.

This one makes me think a bit...
It may not be possible in the client or on the site-side of FUMBBL, ...but why should Stunty restrict itself to arbitrary stat increase limitations. I think opening it up would be awesome. It could always be added to the rule book if nothing else.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Always take a +1 St

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

However, I think it's a little different here.
First of all, +ST is cool, but most of us are looking at through the eyes of +ST in Ranked/League/BlackBox. A Human Linemen or a Saurus with +ST is really snazzy because he can pick up Block or Break Tackle, and because he has higher armor to stick around. That +ST means that that Lineman can get a 2-die blitz on most players in the game.

Now, I don't know the stats, but I would guess that on average, a slave spends about 6-8 turns on the pitch per game. That's a lot fewer turns to actually make use out of that +ST. And since Slaves already have a strength disadvantage, that +ST isn't giving him an edge over much of anybody.

So... it's mostly gonna end up being something cool to look at on the roster page. But in the mean time, he's gonna either be eliminated, forgotten, or out of position to make use of his gifts. And my point here is that that's simply not as fun as skills like Kick or DP, which actually let your team do cool things that it might not be able to do otherwise, and which have a much greater assurance of actually going off and cashing in on that fun.

I'm not saying +ST is bad, or bad in Stunty Leeg, or bad on Stunties. I have taken +ST on Squigs, Herders, Adepts, Gnomes. But I think that it's sub-par on this very particular, very vulnerable St1 stunty whose default job largely consists of marking more dangerous players.

The other aspect is that TV is important to some degree in Stunty Leeg, simply because inducements aren't disabled. Because there so many stunties, many more players spend their time in the KO box, and most everyone's go-to inducement is Babes. This makes Babes better in stunty than in the mainline divisions. And while I can certainly appreciate that not everyone considers Stunty leeg strategically deep enough to be competitive*, I think most people will admit that it's not particularly fun to lose every game, no matter what or where you're playing. If you give your opponent 2 Babes in every stunty game, you will probably find yourself in that situation.

So from a strictly competitive angle–– +ST is suspect on an Av6 Stunty, and especially on a St1.

From a fun angle-- +ST is fun, but not as fun as the other things that are inherently available on the double roll.
(If doubles skills were not available on 6,6, I would likely not be making this argument.)

*I very much disagree, but that is, of course, a different discussion.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

less thinking

more fun

take the ST

it's stunty - if you think too long, the player dies and the issue goes away

it's playing with mayflies, for the love of nuffle

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Cameron, I agree with your argument, but not with this specific case.

The thing is, he isn't just a ST 1 Stunty. He's a ST 1 stunty in a team where basically every player has Guard. When I played Skyre, a big problem I had was that it's relatively easy to start forcing the slaves away and break the guard chain that's locking your team down, because the corner is always a ST 1 dude who you can gang up on.

If you can put a ST 2 dude as your corners, other stunties find it a lot harder to escape a guard lock. In addition, it actually gives you a "dodge into cage" blitzing option, as well as someone who actually stands a chance at knocking a big guy away (standard big guy is ST 5, you can usually get 3 assists on them with all the guard, which is just enough for a regular Slave to do precisely nothing to them).

I think +ST on a Slave would work really well. On a Snotling however, I'd probably turn it down for Dirty Player.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 22:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Stunty rule of double sixes:

1. Take the +ST, or
2. Take another skill and don't tell anyone you passed up +ST.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2013 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
Stunty rule of double sixes:

1. Take the +ST, or
2. Take another skill and don't tell anyone you passed up +ST.

+1
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I passed up +ST on a Beast of Nurgle at the start of the SLAM and took Block instead. Feel da Nurg went on to win the inaugural SLAM, and that Beast now also has Tackle and Multiblock.

I guess Big Guys aren't subject to the stunty rule of double sixes.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
I passed up +ST on a Beast of Nurgle at the start of the SLAM and took Block instead. Feel da Nurg went on to win the inaugural SLAM, and that Beast now also has Tackle and Multiblock.

I guess Big Guys aren't subject to the stunty rule of double sixes.

They are, and you just broke the second part of the rule.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

\o/

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2013 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Though I was very nearly swayed by arguments to the contrary, I have decided to keep the +ST, and hope for another stat or two.

6236 isn't all that impressive, but 7246 would be very good. And I can only get there if I take the ST now and feed the poor little bugger as often as possible.

So his journey to legend (or legendary bust) begins!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2013 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Take it. It will die soon enough, so let it have some glory. And stop trying g to min max in stunt. Its pointless.

Jump to: