26 coaches online • Server time: 08:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2014 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
[...] concessions are policed for the enjoyment of *snip* no no [...]

There, I've fixed it for you Wink
Kamahl

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Time for some thread necromancy Smile

@Christer - someone probably already come up with this, and i guess it's a nasty solution, but definite one:

Add another coach related filter to matchmaker - RTP list. RefuseToPlay. Coach adds coaches he has no desire to interact with to this list, and matchmaker algorithm acts accordingly. Drain on site resources to be sure, but:
-No more problems with proposing houserules and such
-No more whining
-You will play against a coach whose view of fun game is fundamentally different from your only once
-Community becomes self-regulated. Will i grief/whine/waste your time if that can cost me games in the future?

(list is of course private Razz )
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea but doesn't it go against the ethos of the box, which is a match up against a random team and opponent? It allows pickers in box which is bad. You could refuse to play against anyone with a bash team, for example.

It would lead to less match ups, but maybe more people playing box, but a lot of those might be pickers, so fewer match ups.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Kamahl wrote:

@Christer - someone probably already come up with this, and i guess it's a nasty solution, but definite one:

Add another coach related filter to matchmaker - RTP list. RefuseToPlay. Coach adds coaches he has no desire to interact with to this list, and matchmaker algorithm acts accordingly. Drain on site resources to be sure, but:
-No more whining
-You will play against a coach whose view of fun game is fundamentally different from your only once
-Community becomes self-regulated. Will i grief/whine/waste your time if that can cost me games in the future?

Not going to happen, why not just give Christer a list of coaches you want gone and ask him to ban them? This is basically the same thing as it gives the community a way to remove coaches they don't like from the site.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 14:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It would not eliminate anyone, that would mean you pissed off entire division and ended up on every coach RTP list.

And if you do just that - and basically eliminate yourself from playing?

Star Trek quote: Needs of many outweigh needs of few.
Smile
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Kamahl wrote:

-No more whining

Kamahl wrote:
It would not eliminate anyone, that would mean you pissed off entire division and ended up on every coach RTP list.

And if you do just that - and basically eliminate yourself from playing?

Star Trek quote: Needs of many outweigh needs of few.
Smile

That zone already exists, Ensign Kamahl.

It's located within the Ranked Quadrant.

Frankenstein out
Kamahl

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

That's right in a sense.
Hey. Isn't ranked that division with higher number of games played, and active coaches?
Smile
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Kamahl wrote:
That's right in a sense.
Hey. Isn't ranked that division with higher number of games played, and active coaches?
Smile

It's the quadrant with the highest number of systems containing Cherry class planets and the lowest density of clawpomb rips caused by warp-tainted lifeforms.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It's Blood Bowl Jim, but not as we know it
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
You could refuse to play against anyone with a bash team, for example.

Allow n = years_since_registered * k number of coaches on your refuse-to-play list. k = 1 or 2 seems perfect.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Or just play in ranked.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Jimmy, the solution to problems in the only division with an automated matchmaker is to give up on the idea that that division could ever be better and just play somewhere else.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
Good idea but doesn't it go against the ethos of the box, which is a match up against a random team and opponent? It allows pickers in box which is bad. You could refuse to play against anyone with a bash team, for example.

It would lead to less match ups, but maybe more people playing box, but a lot of those might be pickers, so fewer match ups.

You get 2 people to use this with. If you have a problem with more than 2 people, it's obvious you're the issue, not a multitude of people.

That's how I'd balance it. But I'm just full of ideas
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
PaddyMick wrote:

You get 2 people to use this with. If you have a problem with more than 2 people, it's obvious you're the issue, not a multitude of people.

That's how I'd balance it. But I'm just full of ideas

Yeah that could work but would you be able to change the coaches you use it against at will? So look who's online and change accordingly? 'cos that would kinda suck. Or change once a week maybe.

Also like the idea above about k and years and stuff.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2014 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest problem with such an idea is that it could be used instead against the relatively few coaches who play a lot and rank near the top of the box. If you could ignore 10-20 coaches, you can carve out the major competition from the box or some of the nastiest teams (though not both). We have no idea which people would actually do... but in either case the overall number of matches is going to go down somewhat - and big C has made it clear that's the dealbreaker for any idea. He's not going to do something that reduces the number of matches until numbers are *much* higher than they are.

Jump to: