42 coaches online • Server time: 17:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey everyone.

I have 160k in the bank and am deciding whether to buy a 3rd RR or a Beast of Nurgle. Some bashy (Lizardmen) teams around so the Beast could be handy.

However, a RR could be valuable too.

I am leaning towards the RR because of the majority of my guys having Regen and the fact that it is less likely a Warrior will get MVP with the Beast in the lineup.

By the way. This is the team Botfly Ballers. For those not clicking the link, they have only played two games. Well... One and a half really.

Help?
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go 3rd RR, as you dont have much block yet. Beast could be useful for tying up skinks but really lizzies have enough st to deal with that threat with ease anyway.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

go with the RR, 3 is the perfect number IMHO. considerl you'll get an extra one on a double with Leader - preferably on a baller beast.

next big expense is the roadblocking Beast - keep in mind that he is a st5 roadblock, not a reliable player: there will be turns when you probably won't move/block with the beast at all, using its passive abilities to tie up weaker players and disrupt passing game of the opposing side.

DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Very true.

Reroll -> Beast -> Last Pestigor is the plan I guess.

Thanks guys.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Id go RR then last petigor before beast tbh. You need them skilled up asap. Beast is pretty crap imo tentacles just never works, at least not for me anyway. and he is a huge TV investment.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I know @Garion! I just love having him in the team!! Smile

But the Pestigor makes more sense from a team building standpoint I agree.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinda depends on the make up of the league they are in.

RR 1st no doubt, 3 rr is very solid for nurgle, 4 even for L I think is reasonable, but no need to rush the 4th.

Beast or 4th presti...

Some nurgle coaches don't use a beast, some only run with 3 presti, I don't see that either is necessarily superior to the other, it really depends on how you play them, what you face, and how you develop various players.

Personally I like the beast, though he loses a lot of value if you play a lot of teams which are not bothered blocking st5. However, against most st3 teams he is a bit of a road block, and don't underestimate the value of having 5 disturbing presence players scattered around the pitch. Against teams trying to make passes/handoffs in their vicinity they can totally stop drives dead.

Lizards in particular are a bit of a mixed bag though. They have the st to block the beast, but if he can place himself next to a couple skinks he can really take them out of the game without ever having to do anything other than just standing there.

On the other hand, he adds additional reasons to pull your hair out when loner/really stupid kicks in. Can be very frustrating for newer teams who chew on rrs because they lack block.

The 4th presti is often redundant, and adds little at lower tvs. You kind of need to build a couple prestis while trying to get your warriors block/guard/whatevs... Having that 4th one adds TV and dilutes the spp distribution. That said, eventually you probably want him.

So yeah, no real wrong answer to it, just a question of what you think will be best for the situation you find yourself in.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Having that 4th one adds TV and dilutes the spp distribution. That said, eventually you probably want him.

cant agree there, the 4th means MVP will land on one of your better players more often. The quicker they all get their first two skills the better for pestigors. 1 ball handler and 3 CPOMB is win.

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

That depends on if you replace him with a rotter or not.

I want my MVPs to land on my warriors as much as possible, Prestis are relatively easy to skill up.

I guess if you only play 11 then it makes sense, but I'm saying play 11 with only 3 presti. Or, just get the beast 1st, he needs MVP love more than the 4th presti too.

Though yes, 3 cpomb presti and one blodge/sure hands/two heads/big hand/... is quite a team. Still, without some beefy warriors nurgle can struggle.

My statement was not overall for how a developed nurgle team should look. It was related to how to develop a rookie nurgle team. With that, 3rd rr is pretty obvious. Then it's a question of adding a beast or a presti 1st. Eventually you want both, but the beast is really a problem without any skills, so I submit that grabbing him 1st gives you better opportunity to get him going as a 4th presti doesn't do much for you at lower TV, and you generally want to dump spp on just one or two prestis early anyway to get a killer and a ball handler, that leaves you with the 3rd to fill in as necessary, a forth just doesn't seem to add as much.

As TV creeps up across the league which player is easier to get to 16+ spp? The beast or the 4th presti?
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I really never had a lot of luck playing with a Beast of Nurgle. I bought and fired three playing Nurgle in B, and really never thought he pulled his TV weight. The existing positionals are already expsnsive in comparison to their Chaos counterparts, and I found adding a big guy didn't improve them so much as push them into much more difficult matches.

With that said, this is a league team. I'd probably pick up the third reroll and then buy a beast, since optimizing TV is rather meaningless in that format.
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2014 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, if you really worry about tv beast can make things worse, but mostly if you are facing a lot of developed cpomb, as you would in the box.

In L, I think they add enough vs. st3 teams and ag4 teams to make them worth it.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2014 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it became a bit academic really.

Had a game against Mike467's Ogres and had a Pesti take a dirt nap! Anyhoo, had a rotter and a Warrior skill up. Might be a bit silly but because we will face a lot of Khemri/Lizards etc I took the +ST on the Warrior. I know he needs Block but I just thought it would be handy considering most of the teams we will face in the next few games won't have Block anyway and the ST5 has real value at this time.

The rotter got +MV. As they have decay, +AV doesn't seem as valuable as the ability to keep up with the Pesti or move around to assist on blocks.

Thoughts? Just want to know because if it happens on other Nurgle teams of mine I want to get my thoughts in order about doing it/not doing it again.

I ask because I am going to focus on playing Nurgle for a long time because I like the roster, the fluff and I am having fun! And isn't that what it is all about?
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2014 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

BEAST!!!!!! Tentacles are the most fun!

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2014 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I am a HUGE fan of the Beast. But in the Rookie League (the team the thread is covering) I really need to consider how valuable he is!

This is the team at the moment...

Botfly Ballers

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2014 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, if you want to win with a low-skill team like that, get the RR, I'd just take the Beast.