27 coaches online • Server time: 02:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

So, well, I've had a very rough idea in my head for a league for a long time - at least 4-5 years now. But it never 'clicked' right, and so I never pursued it. However, recently, I suddenly considered my idea from a different angle, and I think I got it now.

Er, let me explain:

-----

In the Blood Bowl fluff, the idea is that teams originate from a certain location, and then travel and play other teams at other locations, and occasionally play in tournaments and/or cups, possibly after invitations.

I've always loved that idea, and I always imagined teams going from location to location. A Reikland team having to suddenly rush to Kislev for a tournament there, and some teams actually being too late for the Chaos Cup... Loved that stuff.

So, I always thought about how to use the Warhammer/Blood Bowl world for this purpose. And then I got sidetracked in my mind, it didn't work.
But now, I suddenly thought...

What about a separate continent/world? An alternative Blood Bowl reality, if you will. Teams can originate from locations, and travel from location to location (and often back to their origin location). A 'round' would be 7 or 9 days, and in each round a team can play any other team present in the same location once as 'friendly games'.

In between rounds, a team can travel, if he wants, to a different 'adjacent' location. As simple as can be, really.
Locations have lots of impact. You can only get certain players at certain locations (which means coaches will usually return to their 'home base', or 'friendly' zones, so to speak). Certain locations might be the venue for certain tournaments, and special rules might apply for some locations.

And then there are tournaments and cups, etcetera...

Well, that's the rough plan so far.

Hmm, you're still not getting it quite yet, maybe? Alright, look here: I've already planned out a first location. Check that group page out.

That 'Eyer's Battlefield' location would be a location that supports just 1 team, but others might support 2, 3 or 4, while a rare few might not even support any at all.

So, as you can see, I have some work yet to do. However, before I do, I wish to gauge interest. How many of you might be interested in joining (for certain, probably, or possibly)? Or perhaps you'd like to be involved in any other way, or perhaps you have questions... I could use it all, but mainly, I need to know roughly how many initial locations I'd have to design. (I'm guessing about 50% of the number of applying coaches, but I'm open to advice there too.)

So, please, if you have input, questions or would like to throw in your enthusiasm/support... Please do so.

And note that it might yet be some time (or not) before this league is an actual reality, presuming it will be.

Last edited by Calthor on %b %09, %2013 - %16:%Sep; edited 14 times in total
Mephistodragonbane

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea BUT when put into practice I doubt the 'round' idea will work. It can be hard enough to get people to actually play when in tournaments due to timezones and life getting in the way. BUT if you got the right coaches who are interested and driven it could be very fun and interesting.

I'd like to be put down as a probably as I'd like to see where it goes before committing further.

I'm guessing with the current setup on here you'd be doing Leagues(rounds) that last 7-9 days and then the area you move to is different and so the rules change (spiked ball, extra points for wounding etc.) I'm guessing the current site status won't allow you to set up different area's that we can freely move to and from.....unless you set up different leagues and the 'moving' from area to area is actually just taking part in different leagues at different times. hmmm. lol I've raised more questions for myself.

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

The idea is very interesting. Each area having different conditions has very interesting oppurtunities.
But may need many implementations which can not be done by fummbl game program.
It will be excellent for a miniature gaming club though.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

As in the World Championship races, you can actually reasonably easily support different special rules in separate parts of the same league - essentially, mini leagues within one larger league. So the location idea could work very well. The biggest problem still comes from time zones of coaches playing, but I like the idea.

You'd probably want to have SOME kind of restriction on how many games can be played per round, since if I get 1 game at my location, and you get 6 at your location, (and this happens several rounds in a row), your team will be far more developed than mine after a few rounds. Not always a bad thing, but if it's common, it would probably be very discouraging for the coaches getting less development. (Again looking at World Championship Races, each nation has its own rules.. but each nation must play the same number of games per season, for precisely that reason.)
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2013 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

One way to do it would be to have short multiple Tournament listings - maybe 4 teams, so a 3-game round, and then everyone "moves" again, more or less at random*. This would be like Conferences in other Leagues, but then the Commish would have to change around all the Conferences every time teams "move".

(* Might want to have some formula to make sure same teams don't keep playing, and/or that "winning" teams are seeded as desired - either against losers or against other winners, depending what you're trying to do.)

I wouldn't get too tricky about some "locations" being larger or smaller - unless you're very careful to make sure everyone gets the same number of games in.

Also, should be some way to keep track of a "winner" (there are a number of point systems - some have to be done by hand).

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

As I imagine it now, but these practical things I am definitely still not sure about...

* There'd be a maximum of friendly games to be played in a round, definitely, probably 3.
* The normal games are of a 'friendly' nature.
* 'Winners', so to speak, would be tracked through Tournament and Cup points. And those you need to visit and sign up to etc.
* Normal friendly games would most likely be played without scheduling, so no fancy rulings (like spiked ball). Those would be for Tournaments, Cups and other scheduled stuff.

Of course, I assume a lot more possibilities/ideas would be possible after Christer's league changes, but I think that's still some time away.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds awesome! I'd possibly be in. Smile

What do you mean when you say who/what and how many of those a location can support?

Edit:
Maybe I got something wrong, but if phases of moving and resting follow each other, you could easily set up an open round robin tournament for every location (that currently hosts at least one team). It would an easy way to determine who can play who and to document the team's moves.

In my mind it looks something like this:

1. You ask all coaches to (possibly secretly) let you know their location for the next time period. Teams of coaches who do not replay stay in the area/location they are currently in.

2. You set up an open round robin tournament for every location where at least one team is present. The tournament names include the date/week/month (or what ever time a round fictionally lasts) and the location name. You thereby create a chronicle for all locations and teams.

3. For a certain (real life) time like 7-9 days, teams are free to play up to 3 games in their open round robin tournament.

4. You end the tournaments and start over again.

"Real" tournaments/cups are scheduled for a certain round, so coaches can plan when they want to be there and where to travel first. However, there may be special events on short notice or a scheduled event could be delayed due to local/regional events.
If you're up to it, you can create a storyline and let people know what happens in the world and their regions on a round-to-round basis.

Just some ideas. Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty cool idea. Smile

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be in.
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not have LOBBL be a competeting league in the same world as WCW? The difference being that teams can play in any country as any other team, and that there are very different rulesets in each nation, as previously suggested. Then there could be a champions league between the two leagues.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 06:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Calthor wrote:
As I imagine it now, but these practical things I am definitely still not sure about...

* There'd be a maximum of friendly games to be played in a round, definitely, probably 3.
* The normal games are of a 'friendly' nature.
* 'Winners', so to speak, would be tracked through Tournament and Cup points. And those you need to visit and sign up to etc.
* Normal friendly games would most likely be played without scheduling, so no fancy rulings (like spiked ball). Those would be for Tournaments, Cups and other scheduled stuff.

Yeah, I think it's a cool idea, just probably not great timing with WCS doing so well right now.

I also think there's an awful lot of work to be done here. You'd certainly need 1 dedicated helper at least.

I think you'd be best off running locations as open round robins, and after a while a location closes (stadium maintenance maybe). Teams can be added and removed.

Then special locations could run a 'proper' tourney at certain times. This way, you could get casual gamers taking part in your league, which would be really cool. A coach could go to a location with just the intention of playing a casual game or 2 whilst that location is open. He wouldn't intend on doing the special tournaments as he doesn't really want to organise for them.

Personally I wouldn't set a maximum amount of friendly games. I think you have the opportunity to gain coaches who mainly play just friendly games. I.e. like the concept, but don't want to commit to scheduled league.

I'm also guessing you could only move to a bordering location right? How long would you have to spend in each location before you can move again? I think you'd need a lot of active coaches to run several locations, this is the sort of concept that would work better and better with the more coaches you get. So with that in mind, I'd limit the amount of restricting rules.
birdbanger

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like fun.

What I would like to see is more randomness and limitations on what players you could buy and no/less limits on what race/roster players the teams could have in them. All the locations could have a pool of randomly generated players where all the teams would need to recruit. Some players could be more expensive and have a skill or two and some would be cheaper with random nega traits/stats losses. The teams could buy and transfer players also from other teams.
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

@Nelphine;
I am not too concerned about some teams getting a little bit more developed than others. That happens anyway, and there'd be tournaments with a max TW, so as long as there are enough roaming coaches around in general, everyone would be having a good time and be getting involved, and that's what matters.

@Rabe;
You are right, thanks for the input! The open round robin is a way to make this work - and add options and monitor the matches. I hadn't thought of the possibility... I knew there was a reason I kept all of you around!

What I mean with 'who/what and how many of those a location can support', is that most locations are the origin for one or more teams, and every team has an origin. In the location 'example' I already made, it supports one team, which is a Khemri team based on the fluff of Eyer's influence from the grave.

And YES, I do have storylines and events in mind as well. As you can see from that one example already, there is stuff to be learned about what actually happened back in the final days of Eyer, and that could be part of a storyline and such. Lots of possibilities for fun like that, and every location could have different potentials.

@MonkeyMan576;
Why not? Because the intention and aim of this league are too different from the WCS. This would be a completely separate world/league from anything else, there's just no other way to make this run right.
Besides, this is a detail-intensive project that could only run if it didn't have to deal with interference/interaction with other leagues/games/you-name-it.

@harvestmouse;
Yes, the timing is a bit off. I guess that's because the WCS also got me thinking of this concept in the back of my mind again, so, it's one of the triggers for this league idea.
But well, as long as the market for this project is big enough, that matters little.

It is indeed a bit of work, but mostly for setting it up. The design and the practical early administration. After that, it'll get much more manageable. And fact is, I'm not in a hurry - I just need to know my work won't be for naught. If I know the market is there, than I'll just design locations one at a time till it's big enough to start.
Certainly though, when the time comes, I could use a practical assistant manager. Smile

You make some other valuable suggestions, mouse. It's definitely a good idea to reach out to 'casual' players, as the league concept makes it easy for players to be active and non-active.

Oh, and you can move from a location to a location every round, so at the end of every 7/9 days you could be in a new one.

@birdbanger;

Aah, the randomness you're talking about...

That's partially going to happen, and partially not going to happen. My intention is for teams to still be true to themselves: Khemri will be Khemri, and hired players won't start with extra skills. So, no transfers and all of that. That isn't even possible yet until Christer's new league ideas come into fruition.

However, other kinds of limitations would probably exist. For example, in a certain location, a skill like Block could only be picked as skill up if you already have another skill first, like say, Pro. (Just an example, this one. Wink) That's the kind of limitations that COULD exist.

@All;

It seems that it's definitely a concept that becomes better as more coaches participate. The more there are, the more involved it gets, and the better it works.
That said, there seems to be a certain interest at least, so I expect I'll try and make this project a reality instead of shelving it. (But as I said, this will only happen after enough 'designing' has been done.) So... Expect to see a second location today or tomorrow.

And I really appreciate any and all feedback. What I've had so far here has already shaped my ideas a substantial bit. This is something where a certain degree of initial support is definitely needed prior to launch, so... thanks! Smile

- Your Dungeon Master, er..., possible future administator
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a lot of leagues going on, so I cannot assure full commit, but the idea is really cool.
If it allow to be inactive for some period without messing up with the rest of league (and it seems so), I'm interested.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2013 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Inactiveness is definitely something that is intended to be a possibility, aye.
 Jump to: