85 coaches online • Server time: 22:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2014 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Garion - k, I can see how that could work. I guess without playing them much (read "at all") I don't appreciate the support those other players can provide.

Now that the 'grue has been summoned...

happygrue wrote:
Rabe wrote:
Great thread - just as I'm about to start playing Slann. Smile

So... the playbook is not recommendable?

It depends... Depending on how you want to play them it might have some good pointers for that...

What changes would you have made? How would you characterize your diff playstyle and what changes to the book would you advise instead?

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2014 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Since Slann have become the new hotness of late on the forums I will chime in on two points.

1: Wrestle over Block applies to a lot of teams. I for one am a huge fan of all Human Lino to have wrestle as an example. Wrestle on Slann makes even more sense because of Leap and the ability to put the ball in danger all the time.

2: Blitzers are expensive because they pay for their skill access, which is one of the tops in Blood Bowl BUT they pay a price with no Core skills to start like block or dodge.

IMO coaches focus to much on the DT aspect of them and do not focus on the JU aspect of them. 4 Blitzers that have Block, MB, PO and then 2 skills of your choice up to 76+ seems the way to go. The idea that you make 4 Blitzers that are all unique in approach is nice IF you like to cover your bases BUT 4 51+ SPP Slann blitzers with PO/MB will lay some serious HURT.

You then have linos as ball poppers and a few catchers as retrievers and ball handlers.

A lineup that covers all the bases of Blood Bowl success. Blitzers are KILLERS! do not watter them down as backfield sweepers and so forth. They come in and lay the pain and the rest of the team mops up.

Bottom line for me: Do not diversify the Blitzer core...make them all hitters and not defenders. Which seems to be the line of thinking of most slann coaches...go all in on defense and ignore the offensive power of the team.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2014 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:

What changes would you have made? How would you characterize your diff playstyle and what changes to the book would you advise instead?

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic with respect to the Slann guide. Honestly I'd start by throwing it out. Wink I have been meaning to write my own since I feel the lack of a good one. But given that lack, I'd call the blitzer-style Slann I like to play a cross between Humans and Wood Elves. So a good thing to do would be to go read the Human guide (and pay attention to the parts about playing a reactive game. The challenges humans face against strong bash and strong scoring teams will help the Slann player as well. The General Tactics section has lots of good info.) And Garion's Wood Elf guide, as cage breaking and mobility based zoning defense is good stuff for the aspiring Slann coach to know as well. I tend to shift back and forth a bit - usually playing like a human team until it's time to put the screws in - then I shift over to something like what Garion calls "The aggressive approach" in his guide and hopefully make the other coach tear their hair out as they try to get the ball into a safe spot.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks... I'll look into that eventually. I know the wood elf playbook but haven't read the one on humans - despite being very interested in that race.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The revised and updated Human Play Book is not written yet because I have not gotten around to it yet.

Laughing Shocked Surprised Razz Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Wink Crying or Very sad

I used to think a lot about Wrestle on the Slann Linos, but have recently switched. I want more blocks and a wrestle Slann Lino can't make a hit next turn if the skill is used. They can't efficiently run away with only 6 MA afterwards. Keeping Linemen standing up will get better results when trying to force an opponents quicker score. Slann can easily score in 2 Turns and making you opponent score earlier is the key. Need to free up the Blitzers, to cause stress on someone's cage. Just having them lurk is a good distraction. I really like wrestle on 1-2 Slann Blitzers. With the JU the can still hit (3+) and move away at full speed.

I say take Block On Linemen early on then start to branch out when you get more developed.

Jeffro
Kam

We're going off-topic, but you're about to convert me as well (even though I don't have much time to play these days Wink).

I love challenges (100s of games with flings), but I'm a very conservative coach. My latest games may not reflect that, but what I love with my flings is the fact 90% of the game is ultra-conservative (don't overthink, screen, 'tunnel' the game, and when you see a 2d block, take it), and then 10% of pure madness, whenever you see an opportunity (blitz the bc in a cage with your tree - my specialty Razz -, retrieve the ball in a tz to pass it for the win at t16, etc).

I tried and played other races but... they always get boring. I loved my orcs for instance, but it's too easy a low TV and too boring at high TV when you can only play against cpombers in R. And I absolutely hate elfballers. It's not my thing. Way too many rolls for me. Plus so far, overall, I have made a completion every 10 games or so.

So... are slanns a team for me? Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:

Sadly, no.

Slann have the same issue Humans have in Ranked.

Once they get developed Elfs will not play against them. The tweener races avoid you and you are only left to play against bashers.

Inless you have a famous team or some such and then 2 out of 10 matches you will get a charity match and some elf or tweener will say to hell with it and play against you.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam wrote:

Prone to fits of pure madness? Check.
Chance to spectacularly implode in any game? Check.
Crazy lulzy plays that leave your opponent laughing (or swearing) out loud? Check.
Skill starved roster that makes you always feel you are somehow being cheated out of the skills that would make life so much easier? Check.
Gamefinder lights up like a Christmas tree with offers from people who want to play your crazy team? Check.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Kam's Ponderosa Puddle Jumpers?

Jeffro
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

babass wrote:
i recommand no blizter for slanns: they are too expansive Wink
Relezite wrote:
It is time to perform the Happygrue summoning ritual. Fetch me a bottle of shoe polish and a VHS copy of Robocop and don't ask any questions.
/me fetches shoe polish and … damn, hope you got a spare copy. Sad

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
Kam's Ponderosa Puddle Jumpers?

Nope: Halfling Delicacies. Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played a lot of slaan, but I would lean towards wrestle on most linemen and block on the catchers. Blitzer seems best limited to one attrition piece with MB/PO, but once I had that player I no longer got any games with slaan and went back to elves.
Kam

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
Kam wrote:

Prone to fits of pure madness? Check.
Chance to spectacularly implode in any game? Check.
Crazy lulzy plays that leave your opponent laughing (or swearing) out loud? Check.
Skill starved roster that makes you always feel you are somehow being cheated out of the skills that would make life so much easier? Check.
Gamefinder lights up like a Christmas tree with offers from people who want to play your crazy team? Check.

Come on in, the water's fine!

You're talking about flings or slanns? Wink

Seriously, slanns are probably the only team I don't know how to play against. There are other teams you don't face very often, like ogres or UW, but they have a gameplay you can relate to other teams. But slanns... leap out of the b***, more DT than my orc team... err... than my flings last GLT... thy're just... mysterious and fascinating to me. So yes, I guess I'm gonna give it a try. Just for the sake of learning how to play against them, for the very least.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2014 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally prefer Wrestle on Slann linemen, but I will take Block if:

1) I need a lineman to blitz and hurt (I don't use Blitzers because they are overpriced and lack Block: although a pomb Blitzer is great, to skill him in the Box is quite hard, until that he's a big TV bloat);

2) I rolled a double, and I took either Guard or Mighty Blow.

In my opinion two Block linemen should be ok (on the LOS with the Kroxigor when receiving), the rest of the linemen should have Wrestle, unless the condition 2) occurs.
 Jump to: