28 coaches online • Server time: 03:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2014 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum thread is for anything relating to Season 54 of the SWL. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Links:

Announcements:

• Divisional Structure
    1 Premier, 2 Conferences, 1 Regional.
  • Season Commencement
    First round will be due by 7th April. Divisional draws will be up some time around the 23rd of March.
  • Axing
    PM to the swladmin FUMBBL account by 10pm Monday Sydney time if your game has not yet been played. Check out the Guide for more information or check with someone else in chat. This is also the method for advising of parking at the end of a season.
  • General
    Please be aware that we rely on individual coaches to be active in checking this forum, arranging games against opponents (especially if not on east coast of Australia) and in communicating with Admins. The responsibility is on the coach to enquire, not the Admins to inform. Please feel free to ask any questions, anytime.
  • Forum Etiquette
    Discussions are an excellent thing for the SWL group as a whole. Unfortunately they often become heated. Please refrain from making personal attacks against ANY other member on the forums. If you aren't sure if what you are saying is a personal attack, don't say it. You are not 12 years old...
  • Trial of Blood
    For season 55, play Trial of Blood matches against other coaches' Fringe teams. Only one game per opponent coach. Any number of games to a limit which will be announced pre-draft.

Rules to be brought in for Season 55:

• There are balancing rules for races currently under consideration which will be announced at sometime throughout the season.
  • The tie breaking conditions for teams which end on equal points will be amended in The Guide. A new breaker based on strength of schedule will be added.
  • Admin reserve the right to change the divisional structure and drafting team's TV/TW limit whenever it is deemed to be in the best interests of the league (particularly if we change from below 32 coaches to above and vice versa).
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2014 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

NB: The tie breaking rule above is effective as of now.
Tomay

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2014 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay’s Season Preview LIII

Congratulations to Wonga Wonga Whalekillers on their 2nd Prem title and a dominant display. Its becoming quite clear that they are amongst the fan favourites in SWL and will be regarded as a legendary franchise. Bmilner did a fantastic job in just his 2nd season back to take out a conference title and Semitence proved my predictions right from last season by sneaking in to take the other conference.

Premier League
The defending champs are likely to have a tougher run of it this season with a much more rocky metagame. I think that the war of attrition will see the Whalekillers fail spectacularly and end up being demoted, likely from 6th position or thereabouts.

Crypt-O-Night had a strong season, especially considering where they started from. If they can foul well they are in with a shot this season, though I suspect the best they can hope for is to remain in Prem. If they had some more Mummy skills (say 2x +st or a block guy) they would be a far bigger threat.

The Corsairs will likely suffer the famous first time Premiership nerves and end up finishing below their potential. The team is an excellent one on paper and has the speed to run around the entire field. Whether or not coach Semitence can capitalise remains to be seen in the big time. This will be interesting to watch, but I think they’ll finish just below the top half.

Does anyone from Intoxicated Mayhem ever die? I know they have one new BOB without skills but man the rest of that roster is super nasty. They are probably the most experienced team in the SWL (in terms of matches played on their roster) and are easily the biggest in terms of TV. They will fancy themselves amongst this crowd and I think they’ll have a similar finish to last season.

Barre’s reneg on retiring the LHC has been a controversial talking point during the off season. The team needed a rebuild and he has commited to one. At their low TV the roster is pretty loaded but I think they will struggle with their lack of guard and the high ST bodies in Prem this season.

Left Coast Style are going to try and be the enforcers which makes it very difficult to predict where they’ll finish. If they get some dice, they’ll win games, if they don’t they wont. I think they’ll hit more often than not and probably finish in the top half of the table.

So no matter how Daudy justifies it, he has focused on the killer skills and is toeing the line toward becoming a dimensional pony that makes everyone hate Chaos. Other than Night Patrol, the team is mostly focused on casualties. I think it will still be effective when/if it comes off. I don’t know if he will win another Prem title, but he will be in the running.

The Sphinxes round out the group and must be licking their lips with this field. There’s only one very difficult game in the Corsairs and that isn’t until the final round. I reckon Luo can pull off a huge season and remain in prem, which for Khemri is as good as it gets in SWL.

My prediction
1st- Public Service Announcement
2nd – Intoxicated Mayhem
3rd – Sphinxes

DB Conference
The DB conference looks like a fairly well rounded group. You have a bunch of coaches that have played prem but never had much success at the top. You have a splattering of promising new coaches and two former prem champions struggling to rebuild their teams in bobs and Irgy.

I think the Black Swans are narrow favourites coming into the season on the back of Irgys coaching and a few stars. I just hope he does away with the loner strategy that cost chavo from being competitive where he should have been.

Griffin Gate Sentinels surprised me last season with how well they built and played in a tough group. Coach cdwat acts as though he is still learning but has a great grip on the game. I think they’re a season off being actually good though.

JK, eganra and Smegish are likely to be at the top of the conference toward the end with their developed rosters and wealth of conference experience. These three coaches are SWL loyalists and I am excited to see them play each other this season. Expect at least one of these guys to have another shot in Prem.

The tribute are another team along with the Whalekillers that are building a legacy. Everyone knows its tough with Slann, yet these guys keep toiling away to the detriment of their coaches mental health. They have plenty of cash and the chance to rebuild this season, lets see how it goes.

The Hunting Crocks are still too far underdone for mine, though Bobs has shown patches of promise with a new race.

Finally, my tip to take out the conference goes to one of my new favourite teams – Yang Gang. Karnov has been a wise student of the game since joining SWL and has improved more rapidly than I have ever seen another player. If he can contine to put in the effort and time, I think he will join the elite and get a Prem title eventually. His team looks fine, maybe a little catcher heavy but that could be a good thing considering the balance of the conference.

1st- Yang Gang
2nd – Black Swans
3rd – Mexican Standoff

Frosters Conference
This conference is similar in makeup to the other. You have a few veterans, a few multiple Prem title winning coaches and a bunch of keen new talent looking to prove themselves.

The Sting are ready to finally compete after getting the cash to rebuild properly. They’ve managed to keep Big Daddy alive to do so, making their roster one of the strongest in the league when it is filled out.

Megrim really proved last season that he is a capable coach. Pact take a while to come together but his roster is showing signs that this may be happening. Expect to see him in Prem in the next few seasons.

Fortis and Redgum have had terrible starts to their teams suffering shiploads of casualties. This is their season to build, they better make the most of it.

The Spawning have a good looking team and have been well coached. They come into this season much stronger than in the past and I think they can compete for a spot amongst the top of the division.

Slumbering Skink have been out of Prem for too long. They’re too good for that. No more excuses.

1st – Slumbering Skink
2nd – Blackwater Blitz
3rd – Kowabunga Connection

Regionals
They’re back! Thanks to a huge 11 player draft! I don’t make predictions in reggies. Grumpsh comes in with tabletop hype, DrDiscoStu is a great coach with an unfamiliar team, DrPoods oozes enthusiasm, Beefy has always been a top coach and now has a top race so keep an eye on these guys. The others are mostly unknowns and smokeys, so we will have to wait and see.

edit: was a little harsh on Daudy, not meant to come off that way.

Last edited by Tomay on %b %23, %2014 - %07:%Mar; edited 4 times in total
Tomay

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2014 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

And a new one for this season: reserved so the awards get a nice spot.

Post   Posted: Mar 22, 2014 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify the new tiebreaker system is:

1. Total Points
2. Head to Head
3a. Playoff (If there are only 2 teams tied who did not play each other, in the event of 3+ teams, proceed to step 3b).
3b. Strength of Schedule (calculated based on the total points scored by your opponents)
4. TDDiff Average
5. TDFor Average
6. CasDiff Average
7. CasFor Average
8. Coin Toss

Step 3 basically accounts for divisions with more than 8 players. Although this is not the case in conferences this season, it will be in regionals.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

f5
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll place a wager on Intoxicated Mayhem please

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
polemarch

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Karnov. You have been officially Tomayed and the curse will see you almost relegated to Reggie's!

If anyone wants to give the Tribute coach 'serious' rebuild tips then feel free to post them.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

polemarch wrote:
Karnov. You have been officially Tomayed and the curse will see you almost relegated to Reggie's!

If anyone wants to give the Tribute coach 'serious' rebuild tips then feel free to post them.

Build up some blitzers from scratch. Get a Krox and try and keep him. Try not to leap while in rebuild mode unless your desperate. Don't get catchers yet, they'll hog SPP.

Roll +stats and get doubles for guardfrogs.

Simple Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Well Karnov spent the weekend playing int he Ausbowl Teams Championship and learnt heaps that hopefully he can bring back tot he little screen...

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

How did he go?

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The Horrors take the first game played of the season in a 2-1 Blood Fest that incredibly saw the Standoff walk away with no perms. The race to join Prem has begun.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay vs Slumbering Skink round 12 - Wednesday Night 7:30pm

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2014 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Retire. Draft Chaos. Serious.
Semitence

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2014 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I am very excited to be the premier punching bag this season.
 Jump to: