59 coaches online • Server time: 18:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey ya'll, I was thinking it'd be pretty nifty to set up an alert system utilizing twitter for a few things:

People flagged as "alert me when log on or playing game" would be nice in case of league or rivalry games. I would love to know when Cameronhawkins fires up a game so I can watch or when two teams meeting a criteria are playing (when two teams above 1750 face one another).

When an activation threshold is missed multiple times by one or two people a tweet would be sent to people who subscribe to a "box filling list" so they are aware that there are people in box looking for games but the threshold is barely missed. Perhaps pertinent info like how many coaches are activating 15+ or 15- teams so you can activate the correct one to garner a match.

these are just initial thoughts though and I was curious how highly communication stuff is prioritized, what with all the other things happening and the limited resources available.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

These features are not prioritised at all, as they have little to no value for the majority of the coaches. This site is a one man coding job, and that is not going to change afaik. Seeing how much more important stuff has been to done, the chance of things like this to happen is close to zero.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, first you friend cameronhawkins, and then refresh your main page whenever you get curious. Problem solved, no work for nobody. Or you click on Games and then ctrl+F for "legend" or scan manually, doesn't take long.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, good to know. If someone were to volunteer on bringing this about, what would they need from you to do so? How far along would you need these ideas to be before you contemplate integrating it into fumbbl based on a 3rd party's work?

Where I'm going with that last question is if I were able to get it to a point where I have a strong proof of concept and I just need to integrate with the hooks on fumbbl's end would this be something at least looked at?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Well, first you friend cameronhawkins, and then refresh your main page whenever you get curious. Problem solved, no work for nobody. Or you click on Games and then ctrl+F for "legend" or scan manually, doesn't take long.

Despite having at least one browser window with fumbbl open at any given time on 4 devices - no, I'd like to develop something that does this automatically.

I already appreciate the ability to see whether a friend is in game or not, it'd just be even cooler if you could be made aware of that passively, on your phone, or at your cube desk. It doesn't seem like a super complicated and arduous leap that we can take what we already know and disseminate it through another platform. It just takes skills, time, and people. I lack the skills at present but that can change.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, people have made chrome plugins that pull specific info from gamefinder and/or other fumbbl resources. Since the information you seek is already available, you don't need any hooks on fumbbl's end; you could make a plugin to pull that info for you. I think I saw Hitonagashi fiddling with something like that, maybe he could point you in the right direction.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

wot's this twatter thing?

sounds filthy!

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2014 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
Actually, people have made chrome plugins that pull specific info from gamefinder and/or other fumbbl resources. Since the information you seek is already available, you don't need any hooks on fumbbl's end; you could make a plugin to pull that info for you. I think I saw Hitonagashi fiddling with something like that, maybe he could point you in the right direction.

Nice! I'll hit him up along with Koadah since I really enjoy the sprint tracking stuff he set up.
 Jump to: