61 coaches online • Server time: 16:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Pro Bloodlustgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Raughri

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello folks (and lizardmen experts)

My team Cretaceous Flesh Eaters managed to skill up three players last game, 1 Skink, 1 Saurus and the Krox. I'm fairly sure I know which skill I'm going to take on the Skink, but would appreciate some pointers on the other two.

But before that, I know the team isn't built ideally and I have far too many spps on the skinks, but I've been blessed with some decent rolls, so am a touch reluctant to discard the three which really boost the TV.

So onto the players.

Kroxigor Tyrannosaurus Rex rolled a non-double ten, he already has block and I was already unsure about whether to take Stand Firm or Guard, but MA seems pretty good on a Krox. So options seem to be Stand Firm, Guard or MA+.

Saurus Parasaurolophus has block already and has a general skill to take. Seems a pretty straight forward choice of either Tackle or Break Tackle (hitter or mobility), but would like to know people's thoughts.

Skink Velociraptor has Block and Sidestep. Normal roll. Diving Tackle is the only skill here, right?

Cheers for your ingisht.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Krox - I'd actually consider +AV. At least for me, my Krox's role is to get hit constantly. It's very rare he's actually out of contact with people to use his MA. +AV is great against any basher without claw - and Orcs and Dwarves can be tricky. Guard is great though, for me, it's between +AV and Guard.

Saurus - Break Tackle is great, but I think you need a tackler. I'd be looking to take tackle, then MB, then BT on him. Next saurus to get a second skill gets BT.

Skink - Yep. As a side point, Jump Up on a +AG block skink?! Surely it has to be Sidestep! My usual path for +AG skinks is Sidestep/Sprint/Sure Feet (and probably Sure Hands on a double).

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Krox - fair point form Hito - I would choose Guard though.
Saurus - No BT till high TV for me. I would choose MB as second skill on all Saurus - I actually like taking Tackle first skill on one.
Skink - I would sack him and the Jump Up Skink. Failing that I guess DT makes him somewhat useful. I agree with Hitos route for +AG Skinks.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't fire the block or ag skinks. Block is great on a krox, and +AV would mean you have one for longer. I'd still go guard. While tons of early Mb is effective, it is by no means the only way; I greatly prefer early guardspam over early Mb spam (but then I have 31 skills on my S access guys, and only 1 is Mb).

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah plus with it being a Ranked team Guard is more likely to get games than MB and bloaty Skinks are also good for getting games.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

As a minor extra argument for +AV - I usually lose my Krox's to no claw.

This is because a) my saurii tend to be far more skilled, b) the krox has Thick Skull and therefore much less tempting to claw compared to a saurus, and c) it's ST 5 and hopefully Stand Firm.

What does kill them quite quickly is other big guys. Undead/Khemri/Ogres are lethal for this - their mummies if attached to a Kroxigor will pummel it down every turn, and you won't get a chance to get away. 16 turns of pummelling with MB, and odds are you'll get KOed or worse.

Fundamentally, tying up a ST 5 player and putting it down repeatedly is hard without ST 5 of your own. Claw teams don't tend to have claw on their ST 5 players (at least, not claw on an ST 5 player that's happy to repeatedly mark another ST 5 player). That makes +AV excellent on them.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard on Kroxy (later SF), his roll is to help the saurii to bash. Mb or tackle on the saurus, to make him the blitzer of the team. DT on the skink to stop ballcarriers on defense.
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Krox–– I would take +AV if he already had Guard and Stand Firm. But you need Guard as soon as possible, and Krox is best for this. Plus, if you roll another double (Dodge), you definitely don't want to have to wait until 76 SPP until Stand Firm.

Saurus-- Mighty Blow will get him to his next skill easy as pie, especially since you wouldn't be blitzing with anyone else, and then he'll be a much nastier Tackler. Tackle is still a good choice, though, if you feel the need for it.

250k wrapped up in Skink skills is... a lot, especially considering you have 3 saurus who don't even have Block. You seem to enjoy scoring with the little buggers, so... do what you must. Each of your 3 skinks has a redeeming quality and also a big issue. Not sure what I would do in this case. It seems like a very top-heavy situation, though. Those skills are good, and +AG is pretty solid on a skink, but is it really better than a Wizard and 2 Babes? Alternatively, when playing a game of equal TV–– that's the equivalent of giving Guard or Mighty Blow to every member of a Dwarf team. Think carefully on this.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking at the stat line on your Krox you acutally use him to Block the other team, not some high MV big guy road block.

Increase his firepower and give him PileOn. He will skill faster and that couples really nice with Block and a 6+ Blocks avg. per match.

If you want to make him a road block Krox I would say +AV, give him a 10 and max out that stat line. Then take guard or SF.

One thing I have found with lizards is they do not have to take guard early since they have 7 guys with St4+ on the roster. They can afford to push it back to the 31+ and 51+ SPP range.

Taking +MV means you are locked into next skill taking Break Tackle.

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 16:34 Reply with quote Back to top

AV for Kroxi - He is there to eat up space. Armor helps there.
Mighty Blow for the Saurus - You need one MB really. Tackle might be tempting on the short term, but opponent may mark him, and then he has no chance to blitz that pesky blodger. On the other hand MB will punish no matter what the opponent does. (And it speeds up the tackle for him.)
Diving tackle for the skink

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

with DT on the skink you won't need tackle that desperately, as you can lock down most dodger.
But use the DT for screens, only attach the skink to the ballcarrier if you really have to stop him from advancing.

(I would chose the same skills as bghandras)
LucaAnt

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really expert with them, but my suggestion is: what The_Provocateur does, you do as well
okostomi

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Disagree with av on the kroxy. Av9 and thick skull is enough most of the time to keed him on the pitch. If you go for stat (which I wouldn't), then you would use ma7 more often then av10.But then again, guard is the right choice Smile
Raughri

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2014 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the great advice Fumbblers.

A couple of points. Yeah I know way too much TV on the skinks. But can't really turn down ag4 in my opinion. I score with them basically because I am rarely in a position to give it to a Saurus i.e. a crap player.

Some quick points. Block and Jump up on ag boosted skink because I was new when I took them. I'd probably go Wrestle and definitely Sidestep. I figure they'll die soon enough I guess.

Skill choices:

Skink: Diving Tackle
Saurus: MB - Cameron has sold me on this (and Jimmy has to be right at least once)
Krox: AV+ - based on Hito's sound advice (defo will die by claw now)
 Jump to: