40 coaches online • Server time: 10:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lazerus101

Post   Posted: May 07, 2004 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Had a fault on my line a few months back and couldnt connect for just under a week until engineers came out. Not to mention the fact that my primary hard disk suffered a catastrophic melt down a little while back, that had me without PC for nearly an month.
SorroW

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

gadget wrote:
humbe wrote:
I understand the difficulties of finding a counter measure not hitting people having real problems, but just logging of aborted games should help..

With such statistics, a player considering to play another can quickly see how likely this one is to drop out of a game based on his previous games.. And players will have an insentive not to drop out such that they get a bad looking rating that may make people not wanting to play them.

I think this would make an excellent solution, but it should only show the amount of unfinished games and not just dropped ones.

Sure should have that and add a Conceded matchs counter. As it's really annoying to have a game wich goes well for 5 turns or so and then the opponent conceds (in low TR games, too scrap the team and start a new one) maybe a percentage of the total games played.
vonkuhn

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If there is no penalty for not finishing a game, there is nothing to stop someone from abusing the rules. It should be an automatic forfeit.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree - Can't remember which one it was but some online RTS that shows people's drop rates alongside their win ratios, etc.

A good solution to the anonymity of online leagues making it easier to pull silly tricks.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

SorroW wrote:
gadget wrote:
humbe wrote:
I understand the difficulties of finding a counter measure not hitting people having real problems, but just logging of aborted games should help..

With such statistics, a player considering to play another can quickly see how likely this one is to drop out of a game based on his previous games.. And players will have an insentive not to drop out such that they get a bad looking rating that may make people not wanting to play them.

I think this would make an excellent solution, but it should only show the amount of unfinished games and not just dropped ones.

Sure should have that and add a Conceded matchs counter. As it's really annoying to have a game wich goes well for 5 turns or so and then the opponent conceds (in low TR games, too scrap the team and start a new one) maybe a percentage of the total games played.

Oh yeah.. and add the amount of fouls done after Turn 4 2nd half, the amount of challenges declined by the coach, his annual income and the color of this toilet-towel.
MixX

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

my toilet-towels are light blue.
SorroW

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
Oh yeah.. and add the amount of fouls done after Turn 4 2nd half, the amount of challenges declined by the coach, his annual income and the color of this toilet-towel.

Why not?

Or add some kind of Fair play monitor or something to help build a reputation of good or bad kind. Was this opponent fun to play? Kind of thing. As being in the game with an A-hole is really annoying.
annachie

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Just all the more reason to stick to tournements I suppose.

On that topic, can a tourney organizer arrange an auto-concede/finish on a drop-out. Of course, such a potential action would have to be spelt out.
Stupid

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok my PC had some mager hicups the once but was lucky to be ony offline for 24 hours and was able to continue, but if i'd been unable to recconect for a week it would have sucked to have been conceded, but i would have only called it fair. As for people using this rule to their advantage, say the player who did not disconnect stays ofline as the concede would benefit him, i beleive this would be easier for admins to find as each time this happens the admn would have had to pass the concede and can make a not against the coach, if this happened a few times the admins would look into why, in my opinion alot easier for them to find any cheaters.
Hope this all makes sense.

Morgion

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, just my 2 cents.. i think that auto conceding should be involed to players who have been known to drop all the time when down. For example you report the guy who dropped and u cant find him for yonkers cuz he's hiding, he's been online but yet u get no msg's from him saying wats going on. i think that's a bit dirty... personally if i get annoyed or something i just concede. no point in playing if ur not enjoying it.. but im probably covering ground that has already been done.. so its just 2 cents worth of nothing Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

vonkuhn wrote:
If there is no penalty for not finishing a game, there is nothing to stop someone from abusing the rules. It should be an automatic forfeit.

Ahhh but here your wrong there is a penalty for not finishing a game. The coach that doesn't drop needs to pm the admins with the details of the match and what happened. Assuming you followed the procedure on the rules page the admins will take action. There have been several coaches who have been caught abusing this type of foul play and the fumbbl admins have taken appropriate measure to make sure they do not do so again. These actions may include a deletion of a team, a temporary ban, or even a permanent ban for repeat offenders.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Read the rules on disconnections. if you follow them, and whoever disconnected does not, he will get in trouble. There are a lot of coaches who have had their teams retired, their players retired, or have been plain banned from the site for this kind of offence.

On the other hand please, please keep in mind that a connection to the internet is not an absolute thing, and that they can screw up, so give people the benefit of the doubt before hunting them down and shooting them.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

havent had time to read all the reply atm, but yes this is indeed a problem i cannot say for sure, but i believe this has happend to me more then ocne.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

CorporateSlave3 wrote:
It is a shame that there are coaches out there who are stupid enough to try and pull disconnects to save players, but please report them to the admins so we can have them weeded out...

well i tried that but the help i got, only ended in my saying ahhh what the heck, because i wanted to play with the team not wait around for days sending PM to the other coach involed explaing this and that
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
The thing is that conceding doesn't simple mean losing a little money and a point of FF. It also means that any player over 51 spp might leave your team, i.e. it has the potential to utterly destroy somebodies team. That is the reason while simply conceding games is not a fair solution.

Fumbbl _itself_ was down several times for longer periods then 24 hours due to hardware failures - or problems with the internet connection, etc.

-Mnemon

hmm some good points, this however makes it harder to work this out, since loosing your 200 spp players due to a hard drive crash is just plain wrong Sad
 Jump to: