15 coaches online • Server time: 04:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Agree or disagree?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
No
76%
 76%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 52

DeZigma

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
NerdBird wrote:
Why +av over +ma? On a BOB I would take +ma. Especially since they get tied down a lot and have to deal with a claw or two.

I would not take the +ag though....and I think on a +ag roll you should be able to treat it as a double!

I am with you on Dodge all the way though!

+ ST is the only stat worth to be taken.

Well +ST is always worth to be taken!!!
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh - "wibbly wobbly". ;D

Painstate - these threads could arguably count as trolling (at least by experienced coaches) - you know they've been asked and answered dozens of times.

MB does got a player to the next skill faster - by the simple math. BUT it also puts him on the ground more often, and so is worse for the Team and your chances to win any given game (and quite often for the player as well, since he can't block as often, as V said above). "The simple math" cannot predict how often you will let him get blocked to the ground, and that can easily be a MUCH bigger % variable than the marginal bonus to spp that MB gives over Block.

If you have a developed team full of Block/Guards, so they can support and protect the MB-only player - maybe, sure, help him catch up to the rest of his peers. BUT if the team is undeveloped, then unless you're playing your little brother a lot and own the pitch anyway, you're shooting yourself in the foot and slowing the development of the team as a whole.

And you know this, and most here know you know it - I'm just calling you out, and explaining both to those who might not.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
H
Painstate - these threads could arguably count as trolling (at least by experienced coaches) - you know they've been asked and answered dozens of times.

Hey now, wait a second, what? who?

This is a skill thread on what to do with the 1st skill choice...Not what do I do on a 10 or how do I finish out the legend build or look at my multi + stat freak skill thread.

This is some important stuff man!!!!

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
You're still in a wibbly wobbly world of your own...

Nice!!! Very Happy

Iam a Blood Bowl skill up insane maniac saying going MB then Block.

a BoB has a freaking ST4!!!!

He can 2db almost everything on the pitch...live on the 1 in 9 edge my friend...stop being so up tight.

Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

He wasn't saying the topic was ridiculous. Just your answers to it. MB first? +AV? Some people like to take contrarian viewpoints just so they aren't agreeing with everyone else, even if they're obviously not the best choice, and that's fine PS. You just keep swimming upstream.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

If going MB over block on the first skill up is insane bad blood bowl.

Then what in da heck our my blood bowl brothers over in the box taking C/MB/PO over block doing. They do not even block up until 51+ !!!!

Those guys must be certifiable lunatics.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MB first is a ridiculous concept? wowza. I never knew I was so lost in the woods until now.

Shocked

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
MB first is a ridiculous concept? wowza. I never knew I was so lost in the woods until now.

Shocked

Seeing the light can be like that.

dode74 wrote:
Which poll option is agree and which is disagree?

Just vote "no" - it's usually the safe bet. Cool

pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

all stat upgrades?

is 3 ag really useful on a BoB, and not just bloat?

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MB first is fine.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I was unaware there was more on the drop down box after Block.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldnt a BOB's skill choice be wholly dependent on what other skills your team has? If I have 3 MB Orc Blitzers, I'd be tempted to start off guard or block to offer support to their blocks.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MB is not needed for faster early skilling, as it's not that difficult to score with them.Block and guard are essential for the team's success though and you should not wait until 31spp until getting both on all your BOB's (and i would skip doubles and any stats except strength). imo
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Wouldnt a BOB's skill choice be wholly dependent on what other skills your team has? If I have 3 MB Orc Blitzers, I'd be tempted to start off guard or block to offer support to their blocks.

Yes, mrt, that's exactly what I said above.

The diff in spp gain between MB (no block) and just Block is something like... maybe 10% - very roughly*. So if all you're doing is lining up and, on your turn, taking 1 Block, MB is (very approx) about 10%* faster.

(* Many variables, inc. AV and oppo's skills, etc. If you wan to call it 15%, I believe(?) you're being generous, but it makes little diff in the final argument, below.)

But you rarely ever do that in a game.

First, there's a flat 1/9 chance (4 in 36) that you'll fail due to skulls or both-down and fall. That alone is approx equal to the % bonus for MB for anything more than just 1 isolated block.

But it does NOT take into account your opponent's Turn, and how often your MB-only player gets knocked down (and so misses blocking opportunities, and rarely being taken out of the game), further slowing his spp gains.

So, yes - a well-developed team, with lots of Block and Guard, does support a MB-only player better - and vice versa, a new(ish) team leaves them more vulnerable.

And coaching ability comes into play, your ability to position. And the team(s) you're playing, and the skills they have - an oppo w/ a lot of Block (or Dodge, or Blodge) will tend to slow down the MB advantage.

And, meanwhile, b/c you have a player on the ground more (whether or not he has more spp), you're making it harder to win games, and certainly to win the position for that drive, which makes all your players more vulnerable, and gets the team as a whole less spp and less cash over time.

So... MB first? On a well-developed team, and if you are solid at positioning, and if "winning" in the short-term is not your priority - meh, it's an option, if only slightly better than a coin toss. Otherwise... Block (or possibly Guard - similar but separate discussion, and even more situationally dependent).

Thus endeth the lesson.

(Note - And this is not "in my opinion" - this is how the math works if one looks further than 1 block w/ MB vs. 1 block w/ Block. Which has been pointed out before, and often, and by better coaches than myself, and to the OP, but... well... wibbly wobbly is what it is.) Laughing

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm glad I'm not crazy and If I am, then we run the asylum already.
 Jump to: