63 coaches online • Server time: 20:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lordillo

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2014 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there!

A couple of days ago a guy asked something in Facebook which I found rather interesting. What would happen if a Pitch Invasion occurs in a Kick-off, all the receiving players are proned, and the ball bounces out of the pitch?

According to the LBR6 (I haven't the CRP right now), the player "MUST give the ball to any player in his team". What happens when there is no available player for that? (There could still be people with "no hands", of course).

A lot of people laughed and said that was soooooooo extremely unlikely... but it can still happen. I had to field 2 players once (and scored in 2 turns, yeah!), and if my opponent had had +2 FAME, it could have easily been the case.

In tabletop game, I guess the most normal decision would be placing the ball on a proned player, and make it bounce as if he had failed the pick-up roll (although this is not the idea of handing the ball to the receiving team because of a bad kick). But still, what I wonder here is, how would Fumbbl handle this situation? (I won't bother asking about Cyanide, as the computer would probably crash, you would be expelled from the match and a concession would probably forced).

Let me know what you think about that!
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2014 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The ball gets placed in the central square of the receiving teams half. The client handles this correctly. I believe it has happened here as well, which really goes to show how many games gets played here Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2014 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

As Garion said, the client handles it. Just shows the level of commitment by Kalimar and the testers who have run so many bizarre scenarios and what-ifs to make the client as robust as possible.

Post   Posted: Aug 22, 2014 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The ball gets placed in the central square of the receiving teams half. The client handles this correctly. I believe it has happened here as well, which really goes to show how many games gets played here Razz

Ooh, different answer to that given elsewhere, which is that it's given to a prone player. Source for this answer, out of interest?

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Woah! Very impressive, indeed. Congratulations on the superb robust game you have here Smile
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess if it's given to a prone player, it would just scatter. Interesting dilemma. Just goes to show that unforeseen issues could come to fruition.

Jeffro
GronxWild

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

and if there is a pone player on the midle?!?! does it scatter?!?! XD
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
Garion wrote:

Ooh, different answer to that given elsewhere, which is that it's given to a prone player. Source for this answer, out of interest?

I may have got it wrong, thats just what I remember, doesnt mean my meory is right though Razz . what I do remember is this coming up in testing for the client and we checked with Galak et al I think.

Which ever way it is meant to work the client handles it correctly though as it was a bug in the original testing of FFB and got ironed out. shouldnt be hard to test in test mode though.

I also could be getting this one mixed up with the scenario in which the kicking team has 1 player left, the ball is kicked, receiving team gets blitz on the kick off table then kill the last opposing player and the ball goes out of bounds.

lots of funny things like this can happen. All of them are correct in this client. Hurray for Kalimar Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It is great that it is dealt with in the client, and when this happens on tabletop people can usually talk it out among themselves. Happy days all round.

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2014 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

You know you play too much BB when you think at this kind of question Smile
uuni

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Retested, works ok. It was first found by Carnis (in 0.5.4, what was it 2009?) and then dealt at some point (before 2012). Fumbbl resolves it as Galak has clarified.
Quote:
Q: What happens when I receive a touchback from a Kick-Off, but I have no players to give the ball to?
A: Place it in any square on your half of the pitch (by Galak). Note that you may also give the ball to a stunned player, he just automaticly drops the ball.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Good find Smile

Jump to: