19 coaches online • Server time: 07:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Vamps win another ma...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Are magic item cards worth inducing? They seem kind of crap to me and I usually feel underwhelmed by their effect in game. Dirty play cards on the other hand... well they aren't implemented yet. So, magic items, worth getting or not?

https://fumbbl.com/help:Card+list

Oscar Wilde
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

on the whole no. a babe is more useful

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

No. They are crp.
They MIGHT be worth it in certain situaions IF you could CHOOSE which one you would get to use for the game so that you might be able to utilize a particular card/spell. But... no.
I don't think they are all implemented either.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

<nods>

Almost without exception, no, Babe >> Card. Usually taking a Card is athe sign of a rookie coach, or someone who just enjoys randomness more than winning (or feels that randomness is the only way they can win).

So, about the ONLY time a Card might possibly(?) be a better choice than a Babe would be if you are not afraid of the Bash at all, and the right card could make the game for you. So, if Babes look like they won't be needed, or you feel that a Card is the only way to win - then sure, roll the dice, GL.

And, right - only "Magic Items" are implemented atm (altho' there was a rumour that (at least) "Dirty Tricks" would be added in the next update - which due... real soon...)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, what about Dwarves? I sometimes feel babes are wasted on Dwarves too because they are much less likely to end up in KO box...

Oscar Wilde
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Cards are a bit of a hail mary, it's true, but certain ones can win you the game, they certainly have for me (and lost them, when the other side gets something I can't handle). Babes are less useful for AV9 so I am more inclined to take cards if I'm the bashier side. But honestly, the margin is small either way. If you're feeling like a casual match the card is WAY more interesting.
DeZigma

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

ust a question, is this DICE or is this a CARD game?

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

If I could have chosen a handicap in LRB4, it would have been Smelling Salts every time Wink.
NerdBird

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 07:01 Reply with quote Back to top

With My Dwarfs I take a card every time if I get one inducement. Everyone else, they pretty much end up being pointless. Some of them are really good but the randomness makes them useless more often than not....

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll side with a card over a babe. Two babes is way better than two cards... WAY better. But one babe?... meh. It's not just the randomness of the card, but how you play it up. Granted the bluff factor isn't critically high, but it might be enough to get your opponent thinking too much. Or you could truly catch him off guard by tossing Fawndaugh's (sp?) headband on some regular goon he never thought would attempt a pass. Deep math might say I'm *wrong*... but deep math can suck it. One babe can be just as useless as a card, ac nd she gives hardly any excitement sitting there by herself as opposed to having a friend to play with Wink
Roland

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Dat Ring of Teleportation o_O
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

dog on pitch

dat rocked

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Even with bashy, AV9 teams I'd take the babe over the card. The key to winning with a strong AV side is to outnumber your opponent, so you need any players they do manage to remove back on the pitch next drive (especially as you are unlikely to have a deep bench, if you have one at all). The babe helps increase your chances of outnumbering your opponent.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m not as negative as some seem to be regarding Magic Items. I think I’d take the Babe 70-80 % of the time (plus), but there are odd times a card, even from this deck (it is not a good one, relatively speaking) is value. I think I took one with base TV Orcs vs. Humans (I’m likely to outnumber them all game anyway, some sort of extra bonus can be helpful, even though I see the above point), and I tend to take one if a whole bunch of TV down and I’ve got 50 k left over after I have a Wizard / the Stars I want.

Two reasons – one, the threat is as good as the thing. Like a Wizard altering your opponent’s drive (scoring early, spreading out, inducing panic) because he’s frightened, at least half of the value of the card is the ‘what if’ factor. What if he’s sitting on the free Hyptno Gaze card (he’s probably not, but should I play like he is?)? In real life I like to read the card every other turn or so, just to remind it’s there. Wink

Second, I think when the TV gap is wide, a gamble is a worthwhile thing. Inducements (sadly, I think) don’t even games through solid, sensible leg ups (a Block, Guard BOB for a reasonable cost), they give underdogs a chance through a bit of a roulette spin. You may as well embrace that if you’re going to use them. If you’re a few hundred TV down, I’d much rather increase the number of random effects in my arsenal (one might then do me the job if another fails) with my final 50 k.

Having said all of that, a Babe is more likely to be value than a Magic Item in the majority of situations. There are essentially only two good decks, Dirty Tricks and Misc. Mayhem. If and when these reach FUMBBL, I would say the scales tip in the direction of inducing the card over the Babe in most situations. The threat factor of knowing your opponent may be sat on a good card (for the low, low price of 50 k) from one of these decks is huge. They really are game changers. I foresee an awful lot of fallout when they drop. I’m glad I play Ranked; there are going to be days where I don’t need the headache of a possible Custard Pie ruining my drive. Equal TV FTW. Smile
mike467

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2014 - 12:19 Reply with quote Back to top

As has kinda been stated above, Babe for the win, cards for some random fun. They can be really useful, managed to intercept and return for a td the other day with the one that gives you pass block but more often than not they're pretty useless.
 Jump to: