41 coaches online • Server time: 10:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vergessen

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

'Lo the camp out there.

Quick question from an absolute newb when it comes to BB: where to start? I've played WFB on and off since I was in high school; 3rd edition was my introduction. I'm also familiar with 40K. I always (at the time) skipped over the BB stuff as I didn't know anyone that played and well, it was kinda like trying to play Necromunda/Mordheim/Gorkamorka: it's only so much fun playing by ones self.

Anyway, I digress. So, where to start here? I know that there's online play (duh) and the LRB, but what if I found a sucker... erm, I mean another volunteer who was interested in learning the actual tabletop rules? Short of finding bits of [usually] overpriced items on ebay and scrabbling a box set together (or finding one for less than a small fortune), what else will I need to not only learn but play?

Of course, I'm also interested in playing online as well; I just want to make sure I'm doing my due diligence in applying myself before shooting off a million questions.

TIA
CastleMan

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome. You have joined a great site. I highly recommend the 145 League.

http://www.fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=3180

Also the help tab has some great stuff to read through. there are a lot of great coaches on here who will be more than glad to help you out. Spectating games is also good. Have fun and see you around the pitch.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Here are the links to both the fumbbl help page
& the new users quick start guide
Take a read & then ask away if you need help.
Welcome to a great community.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, if you find a friend who wants to learn along w/ you then make some teams in the League [L] division & you are both free to play vs each other as many times as you like w/ no restrictions such as the other divisions have. As for finding TT gear I'd recommend using fumbbl first as a taste test before you go all out & buy teams etc. Good luck.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

welcome!

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thenaf.net is a good starring place for tabletop, hopefully.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, NAF lists tourneys in your area (hopefully).
Also fumbbl has a thing like that: menu bar/community/coach locator.

Not sure how outdated some entries may be. But you can give it a try.

Apart from that all has been recommended i guess.
Try the 145er which will take you to a full season with cups and everything (which is a very entertaining way to play and you'll pick up a lot on the dirve by). It also allows you to commit to it as much or as little as you can afford.

As for TT supply - there are various vendors. But the official supplier has dropped BB as far as im concerned.
There are also links on the net with printable pitches and coins ect. I think NAF has them linked to somewhere.

Gl and welcome on board. o/
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 08:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings!
Rabe

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello there, welcome to FUMBBL! Smile

Interesting nick... hard to forget. ;-D

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome aboard ! Ready to badly hurt your social life ? Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

If it was only badly hurting... can easily become a serious injury (with lasting consequences) or even death to one's social life (outside of FUMBBL). Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, I think it's easier learning the rules by using them or watching them rather than reading.

I'd spec a couple of games; then play a game here (much easier than table top, due to the client having lots of short cuts and works things out for you).

After that you can read the rules and start on TT.
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2014 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

vergessen wrote:
Snip

Generally, there are one of three teams you want to play as for a beginner.

Human: A wide range of starting skills, skill access, good speed, and able to do almost every tactic with some degree of success.

Undead: Two strength five players without any nega-traits, some block, some good speed, and the best linemen you can find for marking someone up and getting punches to the face. The two reliable Big Guys will give you a good amount of punching power against most other starting teams, while only really being bad at passing plays.

Orcs: Most bashy teams either most choose between having great strength (Nurgle, Chaos, Lizardmen) or great starting skills (Dwarfs, Necromantic). Orcs have both, with four strength four Black Orcs, four block equipped blitzers, and even Sure hands with the Throwers. Just don't get the troll to start with, you will generally have enough raw strength to take on any other starting team you come across, with a possible exception of the Khemri.

General tip: Never make a team without at least three rerolls. For some teams, it can work (Dark Elves for example), but as a beginner, it is best to have a safe net for mistakes and bad luck.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2014 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Elfs should have 2 rerolls generally and max blitzers/wardancers.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
 Jump to: