54 coaches online • Server time: 16:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2014 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

In short Table Top leagues being able to choose the MVP is a reasonable house rule. I would not recommend it in long leagues except perhaps for any new teams that join.

In our league we have always excluded dead players, journeymen & stars from getting the MVP.

I don't think adding extra complication to SPP's is good idea beyond these changes. It would probably just confuse things.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2014 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to answer the original question, SPP themselves represent nothing, fluff wise, they are entirely an advancement mechanism within the rules, and should therefore be considered solely in terms of rules/balance, not fluff, when houseruling. Fluff wise, a player has a certain amount of skill/talent/experience which manifests in his skills and stat increases, which make him a rookie, a star etc.
HamilcarBarca

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2014 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I'd keep it simple.

Allow a coach to nominate an extra MVP or two for e.g. exceptional performance or extra training.

See, I feel like a full 5 pts is too big of a bonus. I think 1 extra spp for SIs and 2 extra spp for kills; or maybe just 1 pt for kills (or maybe 1 pt for SI or above)...

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2014 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

HamilcarBarca wrote:
koadah wrote:
I'd keep it simple.

Allow a coach to nominate an extra MVP or two for e.g. exceptional performance or extra training.

See, I feel like a full 5 pts is too big of a bonus. I think 1 extra spp for SIs and 2 extra spp for kills; or maybe just 1 pt for kills (or maybe 1 pt for SI or above)...

This point has been already made in the beginning but you really have to look at the balance of things.

If you limit extra SPP to inflicting cas it means you purely favor bash teams and distort the balance the game designers have given the teams in SPP development.

Although other people may not favor that, I still like the idea to give extra SPP for complex actions... how about giving 1 SPP for crowdsurfing? It's always a sign of great skill.

Giving SPP for cas from fouling would work too btw since everyone can do it.

That being said, extra MVP would be the way to go for the best balance.

Otherwise I'd really look at whether you want to rather favor bash or agile teams before you give out extra SPP for one of those things.

The best indication is how the races are distributed among coaches. You want to make those races more attractive less people like to play.
CW

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2014 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Fluff wise I think it could make sense to award 2 spps for a cas caused by fouling, unless the ref caught the infraction.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2014 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Due to that Zombie being the only player brave enough to face off against a bonafide killer on the other team he was awarded the MVP. His sacrifice for the sake of the team reminded them that as undead they had already experienced the sweet release of death. And they realized death was no longer something to fear but something to strive for... because being alive may be rough but being undead is a living hell.

Vesikannu wrote:
mr-maverick wrote:
I suppose fluff wise, it could be given to a player who doesn't seem to have to have done much action, but could have been a big influence in terms of leadership skills, boosting morale to team-mates, coming up with a plan for the drive etc...

One of my recent MVPs went to a zombie who was killed on the LoS on turn 1. Fluff that. Razz

I like selfy's method, keeps some randomness in it but prevents you from getting totally shafted. MVPs going to dead players or mercs is stupid.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2014 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

We always let the Coach spread his 5 MVP spps around however he wanted.
If you had a player with 1 TD in the game you could give them 3 spps to skill them then stick the other 2 spps on another player or 1 each on someone else. Get a guy to make a CAS in a game you can give him 4spps to skill him or all 5 if that is what you wanted to do. No restrictions on what you do with those 5 spps.
We never played too many games before people would lose interest and move on to something else anyway. That might unbalance a league if it went long term idk. The game is just supposed to be fun though and not fair so... whatever. Everybody got the same chance to use or abuse the same rules so it was fair enough over a short term.

I always felt like we should have started with multiple players on each team getting extra skills before the season even started just so we could use a few developed players. Not enough agreed.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2014 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of distributing 5 SPP freely, too. For short leagues / TT among friends at least.

Of course this method favors AG 4+ players and players with AG 2 or less suffer (unless they have very good bashing capabilities), as the former have much easier access to SPP (always being able to get a completion or two when a few SPP are needed to skill). Every system has its flaws.

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2014 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

But if you were allowed to spread the spp freely, then most coaches would spend it on the same 1 or 2 players every game and build monsters. I like the random allocation because it reflects the game's heart and soul: die rolls, chance, odds. MVP is the largest possible single spp award, so it makes sense to give it randomly. But there needs to be more of it.

I agree with Wreckage that the kill bonus favors the bashers and I considered a spp award for completing any 6 successful 1d6 rolls a single player makes because of the sheer statistical madness of it, but I was afraid it would be to complicated. The idea is if your player does something incredible, then they should get a tangible benefit in the form of spp in accordance with the spirit of the concept which the star player points represent in the first place.

Balance is imperative, but I feel like there's got to be a way to better represent and reward the achievements of players while maintaining that precious balance. Possibly expanding number of spp required to the 3rd, 4th or 5th tiers in order to combat spamming the bonuses. Just a thought...