65 coaches online • Server time: 23:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Is it better to induce Morg or 9 dirty trick cards?

I know most of you don't own a rule book, but according to the rules you can only take 5 cards before a game. Dirty tricks are great options for Beefier teams. Having a babe doesn't help much if you have AV9 and Thickskull.

Jeffro
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
Isn't the limit 5 for the most number of cards that can be purchased?

Ah good point. Will have to be 5 cards, a wizard and bombardier then.

Oscar Wilde
Zed

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Screw balance, i'm with Gobbo here, let's bring the fun back, getting ready to buy a full box of it when they are released.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It'll be hard to unbalance something already unbalanced, so let's get ready to rumble!

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

We don't need balance, we need fun. Save the prohibition on cards for tournies.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Pssh. Tournies should be fun too. Cards everywhere. Save the prohibitions for leagues.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Pssh. Tournies should be fun too. Cards everywhere. Save the prohibitions for leagues.

I can see people who take the game very seriously wanting to eliminate as much variance as possible to make it really seem like it's a game of skill and measure being the ultimate measure of that.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %29, %2014 - %06:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Before you get your pants on fire: trampoline trap is the only card not implemented (yet). Same as the teleportation ring in the Magic Cards deck.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I can see people thinking that. But then they should ban wizards, stars, one-turners, CPOMBers, etc. and we'll end up playing tourneys with identical teams.

And frankly, just sod those people.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Yeah, I can see people thinking that. But then they should ban wizards, stars, one-turners, CPOMBers, etc. and we'll end up playing tourneys with identical teams.

And frankly, just sod those people.

woh, woh, slow down here.. Cards are optional, Fumbbl has opted to use them.

That IS very cool.

Nevertheless, inducements are the main reason that pressures coaches into min maxing. When teams start to actually benefit from using inducements over regular team building it's the very least stage where something needs to be done.

That does not mean that everything needs to be changed just because the dynamic of the game is altered a bit.

Cards this powerful and cheap should be a concern that should be subject to change on this site if long term they proof to be breaking the game in some respects by making skilling either obsolete or only limiting it to broken combos.

Not saying it's going to be like that, but everyone (short of Garion) should at least agree that the game needs some level of balance within those optional rules that are subject to change.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

But given that one of these cards costs about the same as the skill combos CPOMB, or Blodgestep (neither of which has been banned/changed) AND given that the cards are dealt randomly, limiting their effective power, I think it's highly unlikely that they will "break" the game in any way.

I also think that avoiding inducements isn't the main reason why people minmax. I think that's usually done a) to minimise the amount of (C)POMB their opponent can have, and b) because other people do.

And I guess you can include me in the people excluded from "everyone". Balance schmalance.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

please, please, please let there be a custard pie animation Rolling Eyes
tmoila

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
Isn't the limit 5 for the most number of cards that can be purchased?

Yeah. Because as stated before, dirty tricks are powerful, most "bang for the buck" what cards have.

So if you could get more than 5 cards it would definetly be worth it to get them instead of Morg. Also if we get more cards in the future, getting 1 desperate measure card (400k) instead of 5 dirty tricks is a bad trade too.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
Before you get your pants on fire: trampoline trap is the only card not implemented (yet). Same as the teleportation ring in the Magic Cards deck.

Awwwwww... Such a shame. Still, very nice to see dirty tricks are on their way.
(though I'm looking forward almost as much to saved player markings)
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Zed wrote:
Screw balance, i'm with Gobbo here, let's bring the fun back, getting ready to buy a full box of it when they are released.
will be great for flings and gobos.