37 coaches online • Server time: 12:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
hissa-lives wrote:
Not convinced that Pit Trap is all that great..
10 : PIT TRAP
Description: A devious groundskeeper has set up a pit trap for you.
Timing: Play after your turn has ended or your kick-off to an opponent is
resolved, but before your opponent’s turn begins.

Choose a player: that player is Placed Prone, no Armour roll is made.
If the player had the ball, bounce it as normal.

Seems to me all it does is forces the opponent to pick the ball up again and limits their movement a bit.

Although we're using these cards in a league for one off game and so far has been funny

Consider the case when your opponent has made a really tight cage - you press it hard then at the end of the turn make the ball come loose. In a classic cage it has a good chance to scatter right outside. If you are pressing hard you might even have the ball end up in the middle of your own players. Certain teams find it really hard to recover from this situation: think Khemri, Dwarves, Orcs, Nurgle. Even if they then recover the ball, their positioning can be all screwed up. Its not about instant turn over but ruining their drive.

Indeed, not only that but consider a player has 1 turn left just in range of scoring, the rest of the team is dead, then just stick him in a pit, game over

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

...or the rest of the team is too far away or simply has too short legs. Wink

Oh, and it could be nasty against trees and wild animals!

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

These cards will be fun but I fear they will be to game deciding I hope they will not be allowed in Majors.
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

We accept plenty of random events as normal that are virtually game deciding like a thrown rock crippling you best player or a blitz event that results in an instant turnover. Bring on the dirty tricks!

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

m0gw41 wrote:
We accept plenty of random events as normal that are virtually game deciding like a thrown rock crippling you best player or a blitz event that results in an instant turnover. Bring on the dirty tricks!

When I talk about balance I talk about those things that allow us to use different teams and strategies to succeed. Ie. balance is a tool to create more diversity in the game. Kick-OFf events impact both teams the same and have literally like nothing to do with it.

And for those who say, CPOMB and Blodge are skills to beat when it comes to team development.. and as long as inducements aren't as strong as that all is dope.. I really hope that that is not the case, because that would be really sad. That would be really throwing a lot of skills under the bus.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the more expensive cards would've been better choice for implementation. As the dirty tricks are the ultimate best cards have to offer considering their cost...

Like Random Events (200k) or Good Karma (100k). Wouldn't make them the best choice... better than magic items sure, but not as good and reliable as wizard or babes.

Okay dirty tricks ain't reliable too, there are lots of unwanted cards for certain situations. But some gamebreakers that are bound to press nerve to some coaches. I'm fine with that, I actually enjoy those possibilities.

^some rambling dunno lol

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Good blood bowl play will always be victorious over a large sample size of games the dirty trick cards like a wizard or cpomb is just something that gives luck a higher probability of effecting the outcome than the game would otherwise have. It's a shame as I like the skill side of the game. But this edition has gone so far down the luck path already, we may as well just enjoy the mayhem.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's easy to see that a lot of coaches see this as a removal of spatial visualization and risk optimization skills in exchange for random chance. I wonder though, are these same coaches really less capable of handling being a slight overdog and accounting for a card than your garden variety FUMBBLer?

As silly as it sounds, I think the best coaches will be largely unaffected by these cards because they are already clearly better able to strategize around inducements.
uuni

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I quote myself from the other thread that woes cards:
uuni wrote:
As far as I know, Inducements are generally considered to be worth less than well placed TV. General guideline would be that if you feel some TV is not worth the inducements, you should consider if you want to invest that way. (Clawpomb is still the thing to beat...)

Cards make Inducements a bit better than just having the Bloodweiser Babe option and provide some random variation. As far as people previously have looked into data, there seems to not to be much evidence that most any inducements would cause reversal of overdog and underdog positions.

Fumbbl strives for equal matches, and cards are a tool in that purpose, as far as I see. Also in general, they keep Blood Bowl having those wacky random things that are the heritage of the game.

Most tabletop leagues I have participated have had cards as Inducements in the way suggested from LRB 5 onward. Of course, YMMV.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, thinking outside of just Fumbbl for a moment, wouldnt having full access to some decks actually be a win for Fumbbl over the competition?
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Also, thinking outside of just Fumbbl for a moment, wouldnt having full access to some decks actually be a win for Fumbbl over the competition?

yep, cyanide have no cards. Wink

EDIT: right?
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Cards are awesome. Way back when, it was the norm to have cards! They were far more powerful too. Its amazing how many tabletop teams managed to get 11 Magic Helmuts (in as little as 11 games) conferring permanent +1AV to the roster. And pit traps...well the pits must have been deeper say goodbye to your player for the drive. These dirty trick cards are quite nice, BUT they seem to take good coaching skill to use effectively and can be defended with good coaching skill. This is because outside custard pie, they take place jyst before your opponent will move. Some are almost worthless as well - unless you had a deep bench you wont want to give a player a secret weapon...

Oscar Wilde
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course they don't, they don't even have all the rosters or star players.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

omg, I knew about slann, but CP? weird...
are the star players accosiated with these races not avaliable or are there more?
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2014 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
Garion wrote:

omg, I knew about slann, but CP? weird...
are the star players accosiated with these races not avaliable or are there more?

Basically Cyanide is associated with poop-gaming. You didn't hear it here first.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
 Jump to: