38 coaches online • Server time: 12:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to know. Not generally a fan of undead at low TVs -- they fall under the same category as lizardmen to me, in that they don't do enough well to justify the many, many things they can't do -- but I also haven't played them much since years and years ago, so maybe this is just the memory of a couple frustrating games talking. Who knows, maybe I'll see an undead team in the second half of this tournament...

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Uedder

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Undead and lizards both kinda rock at low tv... Lizards also benefit a lot from the free skills one can give to saurii, as skilling them is usually the most difficult part of coaching a lizard team.
ahalfling

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps. I've rarely struggled facing either at low TV... With the lizards, you just need to get in on them and make them eat rerolls (though admittedly that might be a tougher tactic to use if they can give some sauri block. As for the undead, I guess they're less hapless if they can bring the full contingent of ghouls/wights/mummies and load up on blodge, maybe? Zombies kind of let that team down every time, though, doubly so if they're facing a squad that can down the mummies or force play off the line. And really ghouls and wights aren't special. Bunch of teams get better blitzers/carriers at better prices.

And yes, I know that by saying this I'm setting myself up to face and lose to an undead team at some point in this tournament. Bring it on, they don't scare me. In fact, I'll say this: one loss is one loss. But if I face undead, or necro (same difference), or lizards twice in this tournament and I lose both, I'm going to start an undead team and/or a lizard team and play them 100 times this year.

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Marvellous fighting talk. Love it. +1 to the smaller logo on the group page please Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

3 evenings to go before the end of the round, let's push for maximum completion!

Anyone yet to PM me who needs to PM me, do so!
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

ahalfling wrote:
But if I face undead, or necro (same difference)

No, it really isn't. Necro are meh in this format; they need development to get good (GS access on the golems make them long-term players). Wolves are also more access than starting skills; no block or dodge to begin with.
Undead are MUCH more out of the box; 2x ST5 Mb, 2x block with S access, 4 x dodge with GA access. This leaves you with 3 zombies for the LoS, which isn't enough to let the team down.

My next game is against necro. I'll undoubtedly lose it after posting this.
straume

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
Given the tiebreaker Undead is probably at the top.

I am not sure. The tie breaker isn`t that important. What matters is getting those 5 wins. All the tie breaker does is pair Undead vs Undead. Then of course if we have several at 5-0-0 it matters a lot.

At the moment we are seeing 5 Woodies and 3 Undead with perfect record. And a sprinkle of other teams as well.

Also: I think perhaps Undead is better the first 3 matches, as the 3 extra skills for Day2 isn`t giving that much more to the team. Darkies, for instance, get a lot better. I am surprised, though, to only see 1 of those at 3-0-0, so far.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

The table is ranked by tie breaker already I think?

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

PM copy / paste:

Hi all,

As you may know, FUMBBL experienced a power outage this evening. Whist this was only a couple of hours, it did occur right in the middle of site prime time, 48 hours from our deadline.

On the basis this means some scheduled games would not have been played, the round will be extended to incorporate one more weeknight evening.

Round 3 will now end Monday night, Feb. 9th, 22:00 server time.

Subsequent rounds will run Monday - Monday.

Many thanks for your patience, if you have not already played this round or were due to play this evening, please redouble your efforts to complete your game, and everyone tune in Monday night for our round 4 draw!

Phil / Purplegoo.

Expect the rulespacks to be updated with this new round structure shortly.

In other news, please join me in welcoming our second substitution, Chankas, to the group.
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Humanity is taking it on the chin in the 3rd round...0/3/2 record so far.

Dropping in the overall standings like a stone thrown from the cliffs of Dover into the channel.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Humanity is taking it on the chin in the 3rd round...0/3/2 record so far.

Dropping in the overall standings like a stone thrown from the cliffs of Dover into the channel.

It was a tough match for the VTB. I made a foolish mistake in first half, but anyway I was able to put a decent defense in place. The ball was loose on turn 7, but the Undead were able to score thanks to a 3+ (1d block without block) 3+ (pickup) 3+ (dodge with reroll) 2+ (GFI) action. The worst part come in the second half where failed pickups for two consecutive turns with my thrower generated a lot of pressure and forced me to an early score. To stop the counterscore, I felt I had to start 17th turn with a 2d block with Ogre, and the obvious both down/both down/failed reroll set the match.

It was a fun and tense match, so I'm ok with it and the result too, even if I feel I could have played better in a couple of occasions.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

straume wrote:
Tripleskull wrote:
Given the tiebreaker Undead is probably at the top.

I am not sure. The tie breaker isn`t that important. What matters is getting those 5 wins. All the tie breaker does is pair Undead vs Undead. Then of course if we have several at 5-0-0 it matters a lot.

At the moment we are seeing 5 Woodies and 3 Undead with perfect record. And a sprinkle of other teams as well.

Also: I think perhaps Undead is better the first 3 matches, as the 3 extra skills for Day2 isn`t giving that much more to the team. Darkies, for instance, get a lot better. I am surprised, though, to only see 1 of those at 3-0-0, so far.

You are grosely underrating the block mummy. Smile

Here are some stats. Not consistent rules and all. But still a pretty good indication. Many of theese game have been played with penalties for WEs and undead...
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2015 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

About the tiebreaker I am only talking about the effects after the 5th game. But that is significant.
Flix

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Flix wrote:
Races won all games - Round 2 (46 Teams)

Dark Elf 9
Undead 8
Wood Elf 6
Dwarf 4
Norse 4
Skaven 3
Orc 3
Lizardman 3
Necromantic 2
Amazon 2
Human 2

Matchday 3 - The Dead of the Darkelfs