59 coaches online • Server time: 23:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem 1: Gamefinder gets really annoying when it's busy. Teams appear and disappear seemingly at random: you try to click on one matchup and you accidentally click another one. If you have more than a couple teams on, it only shows you a few matchups for each, and good matches get lost in the shuffle.

Problem 2: If you don't put enough teams up on Gamefinder it won't tell you what you're missing. So unless you expose yourself to problem #1, you lose more good matchups for teams you didn't load.

Problem 3: Damn dirty pickers… grrr….

Solution 1&2: Change the "fishbowl" format to a grid/matrix. The columns are your LFG teams sorted by TV and team name, the rows are everybody else's teams, with the items (and searchable by) coach name, coach rank, team name, team race, team value, and record/w%. Click the intersection to greenlight. Less confusing, can show all the matchups, can show the teams that are on that none of your active teams can match up with.

Solution 3: Maybe a suitability indicator at the intersection? Like, if the matchup indicates a probable win/loss (could just be Box suitability, or could be a cocktail of win% given differential in race, TV, CR, W%, etc.), this could be indicated here, like with your odds to win, or the suitability of the matchup, or something like that.

WDYT? Would this be a big improvement? How much work would it be to implement?

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Bring back an old style gamefinder view. Especially for [L]eague. Display the league that the team is currently involved in.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Bring back an old style gamefinder view. Especially for [L]eague. Display the league that the team is currently involved in.

God no. The new game finder is far far better, and no to the OP. If your having trouble getting a game in ranked its almost certainly YOU that's the problem. I usually get a game in 5 mins and its really straight forward. No irc or anything required these days.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:

God no. The new game finder is far far better, and no to the OP. If your having trouble getting a game in ranked its almost certainly YOU that's the problem. I usually get a game in 5 mins and its really straight forward. No irc or anything required these days.

I'm the problem? Surely that's a first! Very Happy

I kind of agree with JR, once it's busy it does get quite confusing with teams disappearing and reappearing. Not sure what can be done about it, but it does make it a bother looking for games in Ranked at the moment.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Then press ticks and crosses next the teams you will and won't play. If you sit there doing nothing then there will continue to be a long list of teams Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

Agree with this, in my limited Ranked experience.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Someone suggested to get a list with all the teams that other coaches put on gamefinder, then when clicking on one of those teams you get a drop down menu where you can offer/accept games to that team with the teams you put on gamefinder.

I like that idea.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

You know the little yellow box with a summary of the team and skills you get?
Well how about having this under the team on the accept/decline page?
It would hopefully make noobs more aware of what they are facing and stop them from getting picked.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:

Well, I have never got a game in Ranked with the new gamefinder but the old one would be a lot more use in [L]eague.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say I do not like the current game finder. I have the following problems.

1. I like to see the team I choose to play against before I click yes. This means I have to open another window and type in the coach name or the team name. Sometimes these are difficult and frustrating.

2. Sometimes I just want to see what is on gamefinder. I'm half in the mood to play, but only if there is a match up I'd find interesting. To check I have to add teams to gamefinder.

3. I don't trust gamefinder to show me all the available match ups. I remember being on gamefinder with the_sage. GF offered us some iffy match ups, however between them was a good one for both of us. So we discussed it and used a game name instead.

4. Like Koadah hinted. It really handicaps the 2 less populated divisions. If coaches could see teams in these divisions looking for games, then they might find a team to play them. However these potential games just float away. I think the new gamefinder costs FUMBBL potential games in this way.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %29, %2014 - %23:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The new game finder is far far better

In some ways, yes. Especially when not busy, it is far superior.

Garion wrote:
and no to the OP. If your having trouble getting a game in ranked its almost certainly YOU that's the problem. I usually get a game in 5 mins and its really straight forward. No irc or anything required these days.

As usually, a really constructive response from you on this issue. You should stop trolling gamefinder threads. We get it that you in your limited experience get games.

That there are many of us that have issues highlights that there's something flawed about it.

Wanting to improve it is not a bad thing. Plus it means you'll have less of these threads to upset your day.

I had a semi-working prototype I put together last year which I lost motivation to continue at the time due to responses like yours. Maybe I'll see if I can complete it. Basically a merger of the old style and new style - a 3 column view with the left column being your teams, the middle the opponents available, and the right the active challenges.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I have to say I do not like the current game finder. I have the following problems.

1. I like to see the team I choose to play against before I click yes. This means I have to open another window and type in the coach name or the team name. Sometimes these are difficult and frustrating.

You don't have to do that at all. You can click that 'i' symbol, then when the big yellow box appears, the team name is a link. So just click your mouse wheel on the team name (at least you can in Firefox). Alternatively, right click and choose open in new tab.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, it just does my head in people constantly complaining about things on the site, which is free, created by one person and if I were him it would annoy me even more, especially when there isn't really anything wrong. It just seems like nit picking at its worst. But if you are building your own all power to you and I can't wait to see it finished. Smile

I would hate to see the old game finder return though.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
That there are many of us that have issues highlights that there's something flawed about it.

Or that there's something flawed about you.

Not you you, just those many of us yous.

but really it's you
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 23:52 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

You don't have to do that at all. You can click that 'i' symbol, then when the big yellow box appears, the team name is a link. So just click your mouse wheel on the team name (at least you can in Firefox). Alternatively, right click and choose open in new tab.

I use chrome and I've never seen anything clickable. Either it isn't in chrome or I'm missing out. If this is the case it isn't that intuitive.

RE Garion: Of course I totally agree with you on principle. We all know I hate when people complain about things Christer has spent his time working on and gives us for free. My problem here though, is that I feel the old gamefinder was better in more ways than the current one.

The great thing about the new one is that it bypasses chat (which although sad in someways is better for arranging games). I'd like to see them combined in someway or both available.
 Jump to: