59 coaches online • Server time: 20:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Raising a Thrall wit...goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Blood Bowl Variants
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
forsev

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I'm currently trying to figure if a Ogre is a necessity or not.

Particularly in this closed league where there's a set schedule of matches to play.

Current situation
Players 9/11
4x Blitzers:
- Guard/Dodge/Grab
- Guard
- MB
- Rookie

2x Throwers:
- Block/Accurate/Strong Arm/Safe Throw/Nerve of Steel/Smashed Ankle(Miss Next Game, -MA)
- Block/Guard

3x Linemen:
- Block
- AG+/Block
- Rookie

Three Upcoming Match-Ups:
Day 4) Goblins (W2 D0 L1)
Day 5) Nurgles (W0 D1 L2)
Day 6) HighElf (W3 D0 L0)

Treasury 120k
RR 3 Apo 1

A) Would it be a wise idea to save up for an Ogre and run with 3 Loners on the Goblins match?

B) Should I hire a Catcher at all?
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

There are lots of ways to play Humans. No really right or wrong way. No must have or do not take players. You just have to figure out what your play style is going to be and go with it.
Personally, I want the Ogre to use mainly as a Road Block with Guard to help hold it down in the Middle of the scrum. I want a Catcher to add some speed and scoring punch to the team. To add a mobile assist I can put just about anywhere I need. A player I could use to 1Turn of need be. A guy I can throw it to for SPP farming. I find both players very useful if used correctly.
That said... the Human team is about the Blitzers and the Throwers in my opinion. Those are the guys you need to build the team around to be successful. You don't need much from the Linemen, the Ogre or the Catchers.
I have seen various Human teams built around 3 and 4 Catcher concepts though. They can be great teams if used right. Like Skaven with better AV more Guard and Mighty Blow... less Speed, lower Agility.

More to you question... I would probably make no changes to the roster before the Goblins game.
The Ogre will be most useful against the Nurgle team probably if you decide he is worth it.
The Catcher will probably be most useful against the Elves especially IF you can get him 2 TD's for Block BEFORE the game.

There will be many more opinions than mine. Ultimately what matters is what you think will be most effective in your hands playing the way you like to play.
forsev

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand what you mean.
But what I need an opinion on is on this specific situation where upcoming match-ups are: Goblins, Nurgle and High Elf (In that order) would you try to save for an Ogre at 120K? OR hire lino/catchers instead to bolster the team?
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, against Goblins Ogre won't be much use, while the catcher may allow you to score more and more quickly.

Against Nurgle the catcher could make a difference (keep him away from tents and Disturbing Presence), because he's so fast he can force the opponents to spread out. Ogre can help you stand your ground for a while, but without guard, he won't do much and in the end Nurgle has just too much strenght for you to counter. He would basically keep some players tied up, which can be good if your opponent doesn't have clawpomb.
If Nurgle has clawpomb, the Ogre will be a target and may leave the game real quick.

Elfs will dodge away from ogre and he won't help very much. Will make a solid cage corner.

All in all, i think a rookie Ogre right now won't help much in the games ahead of you. Once he gets guard and SF he will be a good support player.

In these 3 matches a catcher would give you more, imo. But he's also very fragile, so handle with care.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't get either at this stage and I love both of them. You desperately need some Tackle before you meet those elves, and that means scoring with your Blitzers in the Goblin and Nurgle games.

As it is you might find that goblin game a problem depending on the inducements he's got.

Join the Human League Premiership!
forsev

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm.. I'll try not to get fouled. Smile
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
There are lots of ways to play Humans. No really right way.

Fixed it for you.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

the_Sage wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
There are lots of ways to play Humans. No really right way.

Fixed it for you.

Hehe +1

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah my last game with necro ... I tied the score at 1-1 on turn 5...
And the necro was totally out of RR.. so I thought - why not force a bash game on the LOS? Who knows right? I got Guards! Let's do this!

I forgot they had 9 MA wolves on the flanks.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Lolz good one

Ogres are useful against any opposition and i'd get one as soon as you can. They can 3db gobbos unassisted, and elves with a couple of assists (helping to mitigate blodge), and hit back vs nurgle (or at least tie up a couple of players while your blitzers hunt the ball).

No reason to delay getting one imo
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2014 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

My ogres tend to get hurt and when TV gets high enough it gets hard to replace them all the time so I often end up running without an ogre at ~2000k TV.

If my blitzers and catcher and maybe a lineman/thrower or two have some good skills and stats (which they have always had so far) the loss of the ogre is rarely a problem, sometimes the team even sees a period of increased success.

This team won their league twice after they stopped hiring ogres for example. (this season they start with an ogre again so that will be interesting Razz )

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
forsev

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2014 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. I'm really tempted to just hire catchers and try for a quick 2 TD level for easy Blodge Piece. But I'm kinda annoyed with the prospect of burning 70k on a AV7 piece when I'm still far from having a bench.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2014 - 09:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Not. I generally play humans without an ogre. It's just 1 less liability to manage in a turn.

Saying that, I had recently hired one, but more so I could see if I was any less or more successful with one.

140TV = 7 skills. What would you rather have in your team? 7 skills or an unreliable roadblock?

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2014 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

That math is kinda off.
140 TV - 50 TV (Lino) = Additional 90 TV
90 TV = ST+2 / Mighty Blow / Tough Skull / AV+1 with Bone Head and MA-1

A lino with ST+2 would've cost 150TV
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 14, 2014 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

When I read the thread title, I thought 'Of course'.
 Jump to: