30 coaches online • Server time: 10:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which is the best?
Rocky
27%
 27%  [ 19 ]
Rocky 3
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Rocky 4
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
First Blood
25%
 25%  [ 18 ]
First Blood Part 2: Rambo
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Rambo
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 70

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, the question that is most often on my mind when I see this stuff is... was that drawn and scanned or made on computer?... and if it was made on paper... how do you get the fricking proportions right?.... and if it was made on computer... how the hell is that even remotely possible.. i mean... it's probably silly to think that that would be possible...
Calcium

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

ROCKY 3 - No brainer people!

Mr. T!!!

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

My thoughts. I'll break it down by pitch, and put the general thought in the Normal section

Necromantic Pitch - The Graveyard

Normal
I think this is too dark. I think I prefer the Sunny pitch as standard. I understand why it's dark, being a graveyard, but think it would be awkward to play on. As noted previously the graves are a bit too uniform.

Sunny
Love the look of the Sunny pitch

Rain
Possibly the rain 'dashes' are a bit too big/prominent but generally good

Extreme Heat
Like it, though it is darker than the Sunny pitch. More o a drought than a hot day.

Blizzard
Great

Humans - The Pirate Ship

Normal
Like the basic layout but think the whole overall effect is far too clean. Needs dirtying up. Blood, grease, whatever.

Love all the weather effects on this one.

Vampire - The Castle

Normal
I'm not a huge fan of the Vampire pitch. I like the concept but the red is far too bold. I think it might be better having the castle pitch outside like a courtyard, then the weather effects could be better shown

Variants
On the Sunny variant the red is so bright it hurts my eyes a little. Hard to see the rain at all. Extreme Heat and Blizzard the effects don't look part of the pitch itself.

Amazon - The Beach

Not yours so brief comments: Love the Normal and Rainy pitches but think the weather effects are too extreme on the others.

Sorry if that was a little harsh on the Vamp pitch. However I think you're someone who would appreciate honest feedback and you can always ignore me Razz
Russo

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

They look really good Garion, but as a colour blind player I would just add a word of caution about the play-testing before official use. Already I find that if the weather changes I really struggle to identify some players against the background especially goblins.

I would be a bit concerned if the occasions where my disability were increased becaue of the themed pitches.Unless there was an option where both coaches had a preferences tag that they could slect on their account page which blocked the client from using any pitches that they did not like. e.g. it looked at preferences of both clients and only slected from ones that were both selected or else defaulted to standard.

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

You can always play the default pitch Russo. You can also toggle between icons and markers.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

What I like and what does/not work are pro'ly 2 entirely diff things.

I noticed in the Beta games that the new "brownish" goblins/slann/etc disappear on the old Rainy field. Same might be true here - subtle tone changes need to be seen w/ players on them, cuz that's what counts.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Honestly, the question that is most often on my mind when I see this stuff is... was that drawn and scanned or made on computer?... and if it was made on paper... how do you get the fricking proportions right?.... and if it was made on computer... how the hell is that even remotely possible.. i mean... it's probably silly to think that that would be possible...

These are almost certainly done on PC. One of my mates does computer game texturing for a living and to see what he can produce with a Wacom graphics tablet is amazing.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
They look really good Garion, but as a colour blind player I would just add a word of caution about the play-testing before official use. Already I find that if the weather changes I really struggle to identify some players against the background especially goblins.

I wonder about that... the colors aren't exactly very strong there...
The usual pitch comes with a very intense green.
My instinct tells me the shade contrast should be fine with the players but maybe the opposite is true and you actually percieve them better too when they have strong colors...
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:

These are almost certainly done on PC. One of my mates does computer game texturing for a living and to see what he can produce with a Wacom graphics tablet is amazing.

I'm already lost with the barrels... are you sure they were made?
How in the world would you make such a barrel?
Is it maybe some pre-design that was hand drawn?
harvestmouse

Wreckage wrote:

Everything has been made by Garion, that's a stipulation for a FUMBBL pitch, everything has to be your work. They're done on computer, nothing is hand drawn. Creating this sort of thing on computer is totally different to drawing. You're creating 'effects'. It's not like drawing grass or stone at all. However if you want to know something in particular I am sure Garion will only be only to happy to explain how to do it.

I've seen a lot of Garion's work now, and I can't believe how good he's got at it. I've had a go at a CD/Black Cup pitch and I think it's beyond my abilities. Unless you're a pro artist this sort of thing isn't easy at all. Particularly if you are working with Photoshop or some such instead of a professional application.

However if anyone wants to create a pitch and needs something like 'grass' 'brick' 'stone' etc. Feel free to pm me, I can do these.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %27, %2014 - %17:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Russo wrote:

I understand your concerns Russo, please have a look at my blog - https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Garion To save you the time, I did consider this when creating the new pitches for the client, which is why I created one called 'Basic Pitch'. this can be accessed in the client now. The instructions are in my blog.

@Russo: the new client offers you the option to show either the custom pitch, the default pitch or a basic one (plain color, just markings). Independent from that setting you can also switch off the weather changes for any pitch (so you only see the good weather pitch). The weather icon on the lower right of the pitch always shows the current weather in the game, of course.
Roland

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

how about that khemri pitch? what happened to those?
and all the other pitches that could be set in FFB test division for a while?
(yes I saw you tested most of them Garion! Wink)

Last edited by Roland on %b %27, %2014 - %17:%Nov; edited 2 times in total
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage, in short its all tricks in photoshop, I'm no artist but if you learn how to use photoshop you can trick people in to thinking you have skills, I don't have skills, I just learn very quickly.

For example, take the barrels that's lying down. If you look closely it is just 3 rectangles with a grey gradient effect for the metal, with a very small shadow. Then a few brown rectangles running the other way on a layer underneath. Then to give the wood a texture effect you just make a clipping mask, create an image with X amount of noise on it, move it over the image, and change opacity and layer type, to overlay, or darken, or screen and so on. Basically its just tricking that takes a lot of time Smile

Roland wrote:
how about that khemri pitch? what happened to those?

They are being used in the Crown of Sands.

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2014 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

They were done by angelux, I'm not sure on the permissions for them. He did 5 in total I think. 2 for OBBA, a wood elf, an orc and that one. The Orc one was a complicated pitch.

Zio-Croc's done a fair few.......maybe 10 or so. These are all pretty good.

Hanzz done a few pitches, they're quite simple. Maybe they could be used as well.

Of my pitches only one is all my own work. With a different centre the Nippon one would be too.
 Jump to: