23 coaches online • Server time: 02:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Foad

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Fringe Smacks?

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Just FYI... when the skinks started they came in at tr 100 which was ok because all teams in the second division started at tr100. But then they got promoted to premier and were playing up on average 20-30 points every game (First game was tr150 lizards v tr196 cdorfs!). With no handicaps since they weren't programmed into the client yet (yes this way predates inducements). Still won three titles in LRB4.

When we went to CRP I managed to work out a deal to keep the skinks so long as I managed to draft lizards again (nobody else drafted lizards at all) but while our friendly admin HarvestMouse could reset most of the team he couldn't remove the 18ff or apothecary. You think people are trying to drop from 3 or 4 ff to get under 1300, try doing tv1000 with 18ff. Hasn't stopped the skinks from winning another 3 titles in CRP.

If you're good enough and patient enough then one clawpomb guy on one team is unlikely to hold you back that badly.
Semitence

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Faulcon, I like cookies.
Daudy

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I disappear for a bit and suddenly Chavo is Chaos and I'm somehow in a Prem playoff.

Let's be honest though, the worst thing about Chavo's team is its name and theme!

Sure, there's some possibility in a practical sense that having lots of time/ability to trial at will can lead to feeding one or two stacked players (in an edition where that's better than an equal spread) that will have an early impact in Reggies. This is particularly true given there are generally more soft options for ToB, and you're not in an environment where you have to bother playing for points potentially at the cost of spreading SPP where you want (though, I suppose one could tank). Therefore I don't really buy that the team would have ended up exactly the same if it were to have played half those games in a proper reggie season. The only thing is, I don't think this is the fault of the current TOB format given there was never really a limit on TOB games BEFORE this round robin edition began anyway. Subsequently, the possibility has always been there but no one really took it all the way. I like the new format, and it is new, but it's a loophole that's existed for a long while.

I like Fortis' idea of perhaps streamlining a drafted team straight to conference if it has the abovementioned stacked players to not completely destabalise reggies. The only problem with this is, if you have a set rule in place, the new powergaming meta just shifts posts. If you just rely on admin discretion, you then get people continually asking for please explains, playing devils advocate, and more. This also applies to other forms of gamemanship (like conceeding for FF and snotling teams). So some careful thinking is required for sure.

Lastly, rolling good stats is nothing new to Chavo and should be expected. Then again, maybe it's also a chaos thing (I just rolled my second +ST,+MA beastie). Welcome to the darkside (even if you already have more PO than I do haha)!

ramchop wrote:
I must be a bit slow.

You think you've got it bad...

Tomay wrote:
Daudy must not realise that he is in the playoffs Sad

Correct. Arranging a time now.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Woa, I think SWL just broke the regional record for writing 4 pages of forum.

Anyway, I see what the debate is about, and although some of the points are worth looking at, I will have a slight gander at the greater picture.

As an swl-coach since the lrb4 era, who's also competed in other leagues, SWL for me has been unique. Unique in the way that the coaches in general has shared the responsibility of making it a good, balanced league. And it hasn't always needed admins to write detailed rulings of every thinkable and unthinkable situation. Shit's just worked out.

It's like with everything else good: those involved are responsible for their own actions and the effects it brings.

If I should summarize my impression of the SWL community with a handful of words it would be: hard but fair - a league for gentlemen who don't pull their punches

Stick to that*, and there is little need for all the complaining, clarifications, etc.

(@coombz completely unrelated, chavo should be regarded auld guard, or whatever, too. although he'd probably disagree Wink @semitence i had no major issue with tomay declining the cobras game. it's actually even better, as his team will always be known for dodging the cobras. so even if the cocksville dodgers win the prem, they still need to park and beat the cobras in the fringe before they can be regarded champions xoxo)

* im not an admin either disclaimer

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %24, %2015 - %20:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
GhostBear

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello I've been on FUMBBL for a while now and I was told the SWL is a great league for Australian coaches.

I'd like to get in on it if it is open to newcomers at the moment?
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

GhostBear wrote:
I'd like to get in on it if it is open to newcomers at the moment?

Welcome! You're in luck. The new season is just around the corner.

You can check out the SWL group page (especially The SWL Guide section), and then submit your draft list to Tomay if you are up for the challenge Wink

ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 21:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

A potential 17 regional drafters? Cool.

So if they all take the next step after the Trial what happens? Three regionals with 7 fillers to make up the numbers? Actually it could be 17 anyway if TreeGnoll is still here Very Happy
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

there's been regionals before with more than 8 teams too so don't sweat it ramchop, they'll come up with a good solution. hope treegnoll stays. the more the merrier!

Foad

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoping most people put their hand up for the Lutece Cup... There is a specific division for the NZ/AU timezone...

I know that I'm only one of a few who play majors in the SWL so I think this is s great opportunity for SWLers to get a taste of competitive res bloodbowl...

Purplegoo is running it, so it should be a cracker...

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm in, although just for funsies and for a bit of extra practice playing humans ;]

a pool full of SWL coaches sounds great for arranging games easily, not so great for my chances of winning any! hehe

That's Trailer Park Life.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

i think i'll rather build a wooden house using my face as hammer and my nipples to lead electrical current for the power tools, than joining another low-TV resurrection tourney, but you who enjoy that kind of stuff - not the electrical nipple current part, but the resurrection cup - should join

almic85

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2015 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Just weighing in a little on this from a returning players perspective but I would just like to add to your below list of pros and cons argument.

2. Trying to lose to avoid FF
This is actually against FUMBBL site rules which state "•Arranged games (ie. playing to lose) will not be tolerated. The same applies for coaches allowing each other to score extra touchdowns and all other SPP generating events." Read the site rules.

3. 'farming' SPP by the opponent not playing competitively.
Similarly "farming" for SPP and arranging games to do so is also explicitly against FUMBBL site rules.

5. Conceding games
Also has an associated set of FUMBBL site rules that need to be followed.

The FUMBBL site rules apply to ALL divisions including our SWL group so there is no argument to be made that either trying to lose or "farming" SPP are acceptable in any way.

This is as opposed to Tomay being a dirty cherry picker and playing "easier" games, which is actually within site rules because the teams are fairly close in TV or TW or whatever it is called nowadays. Playing soft games is still frowned upon by those of us that just enjoy playing Khemri or Ogres or any other team where we don't get soft games.

Please everyone go back and read the FUMMBL site rules http://fumbbl.com/p/help?op=rules again and you will realise that playing to lose (for any reason) is for losers. We all know that if you are getting flogged you just foul every turn until you no longer have players on the pitch and their star player is dead.

cdwat wrote:
Storm in a molehill all this.

Let's summarise the ToB issues & some of the arguments:

1. Too many games in ToB
- possibly an advantage to some drafters?
- skews the reggies?
- more advantageous to some races than others?
- devalues the Bloody Cauldron if it's only contestable for those with enough spare time?

2. Trying to lose, to avoid FF
- Against the spirit of SWL?
- perfectly fine, because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway.

3. 'farming' SPP by the opponent not playing competitively.
- perfectly fine, because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway.

4. Cherry picking opponents.
- perfectly fine? because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway.
- not practical to make rules that stop it
- doesn't matter if the games are competitive anyway?

5. Conceding games
- perfectly fine, because the ToB is only for preparing a team anyway?

Does that sum it all up?
[url][/url]

If you're interested join the Fringe
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 01:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
We should do some sort of ANZAC thing leading up to the day with all these Kiwis on board now.

What did you have in mind Tomay?

This is pretty awesome:
http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.co.nz/p/page-6.html?m=1
I only know of one blood bowler involved in the painting project. Toffer's a prime candidate for SWL recruitment but he'll need to wait until the following season as all his evenings are consumed with this painting project until the end of the month deadline Smile
Daudy

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Playoff game arranged for 4pm Sydney/Melbourne time on Thursday.