77 coaches online • Server time: 20:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Throw Team Mate Land...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What are your thoughts about the division system?
It sounds fun!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Black box is perfect as is! No thanks!
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
I might be interested after "all the details" were worked out
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Pie is tasty
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

seanh1986

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

For example, lets say we have three tiers:

"Beginner, Intermediate, Expert"
or
"Division I, II, III" (more politically correct, with Division I being the toughest)

Divisions could be "updated" each Month (more details below).

- During that month, teams play other teams within their division much like the black box system (still matching up fair games as much as possible)

- At the end of each month, teams that perform strongly in their division advance to a more difficult division and teams that perform poorly in their division can be relegated to a weaker division.

Note: "perform strongly" can be based on total wins, or win % (with minimum # of games played), or whatever criteria is desired to be used.

- Divisional rankings should be easy to do, and perhaps you can have it that the top/bottom X teams automatically transfer to harder/easier divisions, etc.

- Based on a coach's coach rating, you can determine which division their teams should begin in (or have all teams start in beginner).

I think this would be a great way of taking the black box idea but giving people more balanced games, with the possibility of improving and playing harder competition, etc.

I also think it would be a much nicer environment for weaker players that might permanently live in Division III and occasionally move up to Division II with a good team, etc... To me, it would just be a more inclusive version of what the box already is.

That being said, I'm sure Division I would be just as, if not more, cutthroat competitive than the Box already is... Like, it may also be a fun way of adding some competition... People will want to place atop their division... Maybe there can be some incentive for having done so? Extra MVP? I don't know...

As well, it would be very natural to have periodic per-division mini-tournaments, etc... Which may allow "beginners" more of an opportunity to compete in a tournament setting against like-skilled opponents (just a thought). Alternatively, tournaments can be only open to Division I teams (e.g., for [ B ] majors or something).

Anyways, I welcome some thoughts/criticisms. I mentioned something about this in the "what you'd like to see in 2015" thread but I think it got lost among all the other posts so I figured I'd post this in the "idea" thread.

Potential negative consequence:
- A some times of day in [ B ] it can be a bit of a struggle to find a game and restricting teams to divisions could possibly make this more difficult... However, multiple coaches can have teams in different divisions and the current [ B ] scheduler doesn't allocate matches if there are not good fits, this would be similar, but within a division you may allow for a wider TV gap(?) which may assist the scheduler, etc. There are many ways the internal workings can be tweaked that I'm not too worried about this issue... But it is worth noting/discussing.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Love the idea but i dont think there's enough volume to support.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2015 - 06:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Terrible, terrible, terrible poll options. Wink

The idea would not work because there are nowhere near enough coaches playing in the Box.

Splitting things up just means fewer matches made and more unbalanced games when they are made.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2015 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Roughly, how many coaches are playing in the box on a regular if i might ask (i do count for two at least)?

I havent read the idea but if mrt1212 and koadah say its a good one theoritically, i would agree most probably.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2015 - 14:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

this would mean far less games options per activation, so less fair games.

Gets a big No from me.

And yeah, terrible poll options. Can no one write a fair question?

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2015 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Not enough coaches. Right now it happens, and not so few times, to see only 5-6 coaches that activate... divide them in 3 division, and you'll have really really hard time to find a match
I didn't vote, because there is no valid option
Block Box is far from "perfect as it is"
It lack the option "This is an inapplicable solution" or "this idea could not work"
 Jump to: