19 coaches online • Server time: 06:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Leilond wrote:
Fend, Sure feet, jump up, frenzy
Kick to the blodger line

Like I said, almost all of these are predicated on taking a risk -

Surefeet - gotta GFI
Spint - gotta gfi twice to utilize but OTTDs are bit easier
Jump Up - predicated on being knocked down and 2+
Frenzy - Gotta position for the 2d6 to ensure safety
Pro - 4+ to reroll 3+ or 1d6

(Agility)

Catch - No
Diving Catch - No
Diving Tackle - B2B = Death
Jump Up - gotta get knocked down to use, something you might try to avoid
Sneaky Git - No

(General)

Dauntless - 2+ but useful for positioning and the occasionaly SuperBull
Dirpy Player - Hahahaha
Fend - Okay but predicated on getting hit
Kick Off-Return - No
Pass Block - Legend Favorite!
Pro - For Leaps, Gfis, 1d6s and -2d6s but not reliable
Shadowing - Not worth it with the bugginess but I wanna see more of it
Sure Hands - Surely you jest
Wrestle - Interesting but redundant

Also putting kick on him simplifies Apo control - you will always apo him for perms and death and you will ignore everyone else.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose that's one of the problems with having such a lack elsewhere on the team! Eggs, meet basket.

A better team may very well lead to better results. And it's a results game.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
A better team may very well lead to better results.

Not sure what you would suggest. Hire a thrower? More ST2 guys? The team has 4 potential blitzers. Two have mighty blow and strip ball. The second wardancer could use tackle, but taking kick on the legend seems to have cleared up the biggest deficiency on the team.

If what you are suggesting is that I hand off to linemen in an attempt to spread SPP around, I humbly remind you that it is 2015 and that doesn't work anymore.

My other Wood Elves do have that problem. Way too many SPP invested in two players, but again... what exactly should I do about it? TV is TV. Your opponent gets a skill every time you do. Improve your team and your competition improves as well... that's how TV matching works. On a league team I would play and select skills quite differently.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, right. I forgot about the rule of five guff. Silly me.

Wood Elf Catchers are good players (not everything needs to be a Blitzer. Speed kills). Some of those wouldn't go amiss. Too many one skill or no skill players in a starting eleven at that TV are too easy to shut down, and / or when your basket falls over, off go your eggs. Whilst I am not recommending every player being at the same level, your team can only be improved by a more clever distribution of TV.

Or not; do as you please, really. But you did start a thread seemingly inferring you wanted comment.

Carry on, enjoy your Blood Bowl, sorry for dropping in. But my eyes do glaze over at the flawed 'all spp, 5 mens' stuff.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 10:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I like it. Now on a Blitz! he can run through and catch his own kick like Dan Biggar seems to have perfected recently Razz

I think I would have taken DT or Shadowing. As mrt1212 says they do increase risk, but you don't have to put yourself in that position all the time. They are good options to have when you need them Smile
bghandras

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick is not bad, but Pro is probably better. I tried once Pro as a 1st skill on Wardancer, and was not disappointed.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

You're telling me that your wardancer is never knocked down?

By the way
mrt1212 wrote:

Shadowing - Not worth it with the bugginess but I wanna see more of it

What bugginess are you talking about? I used it some times and didn't exprerimented any bug.
PacoSillas

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Only bug I'm aware of is where shadowing meets sidestep (or even on a more rare occasion grab) and only in the case the players end with their positions reversed (you're blocked, blocker follows and you manage to end in your blocker starting position). Other done that shadowing works fine I believe.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrestle could of helped with sacking, sure feet would have been my choice though for more (safeish) speed. Kick can go on a lino surely? But I guess you have a point if TV efficiency is what you are aiming for.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Winning games and keeping your TV trim are two different things.

I really like putting kick on a sacker, and I do that when I can because it does keep a lot of defensive skills that don't get put on the LOS all together. But on a wardancer? If taking such a skill over sure feet or diving tackle on such a player is done in the name of keeping TV trim, then I can't help but wonder if you would be pleasantly surprised at what happens to your win rate if you chose skills based on "how can I win the next game" over "how can I be as efficient with my TV as possible".

Some teams do need more though put toward TV management stay competitive because they are much harder to play. But wood elves are not that team, IMO! focusing on your core of needed players (and the skills on them that win) first and then what those players do to your TV second is going to have great results with WE, IMO.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Anything could have helped with winning. Literally, anything else was a better choice. Yes, even sneaky git and dirty player. And especially kick of return. OMG, such an underrated skill for a player like this.

Kick is both an underrated and overrated skill. It's underrated to have on a random garbage player you don't care about anyway. It's overrated to waste a skill slot on an actual important player.

I feel the same way about Leader for teams with rrs more expensive than 50k.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

PacoSillas wrote:
Only bug I'm aware of is where shadowing meets sidestep (or even on a more rare occasion grab) and only in the case the players end with their positions reversed (you're blocked, blocker follows and you manage to end in your blocker starting position). Other done that shadowing works fine I believe.

And its the one specific combo action I lust about using
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
I guess you have a point if TV efficiency is what you are aiming for.

licker wrote:
Literally, anything else was a better choice.

Thread is about what I expected, thanks to all for their viewpoints. Now for my reasoning, which many of you have guessed.

Firstly, I've had a number of these wardancers. In my opinion, GA skills on wardancers have sharply diminishing returns after Tackle, Strip Ball, and Sidestep. I've always strongly believed that mighty blow is the best double, and showed that preference again by turning down the +MA on 5,5 multiple times, including on the other wardancer just now. Now that I've had a few games with a MA9 wardancer, I am satisfied that mighty blow simply has a much greater impact than +MA.

But why kick? Well, I've done frenzy before, and did not like it, even on the ST4 player. I do like to have it somewhere on the team, usually as a third skill on a blodge lineman.

Fend
is a popular choice, and it surely prolonged the life of that guy... but did it make the team better? Not so sure, especially since those elves don't play against teams with a lot of fast tacklepombers (like humans, degenerate elf variants, etc).

Sure Hands wasn't too bad... combined here with fend. This was the front-runner skill I was considering, and honestly it's a very good pick. Elf v Elf can be tough if you don't have a surehands carrier. If this player had +ST or +AG, I would surely have taken it. In the end, I prefer to take my sure hands on a thrower or catcher... and although this team currently lacks a sure hands player, the second wardancer has yet to roll a stat, and may yet become the sure hands player.

Lastly, wrestle. I think wrestle is a great skill on wardancers, but perhaps not the way I play the team. See, Ornbarad is a bit of a theme squad. The entire point of their existence is to develop awesome legendary wardancers. There's a lot of value in a vanilla 16spp wrestle/strip ball wardancer, and you can win games with them. That's not this team though... my guys usually have way too much invested to be lying down on the ground in the middle of a cage.

So in the end, we took kick. Why kick? Well, quite honestly, my kickers keep dying. Assigning kick to a line elf is the kiss of death, virtually guaranteeing he will be the target of every possible blitz. Rule of 5 or no, you simply can't screen every elf from blitzes, it's hard enough keeping wardancers safe. So my kickers die in droves, and I'm constantly left without this critical skill.

Kick helps you win games, and you want it somewhere on an elf team. I've never had an issue putting it on a positional, but as the 4th best thrower skill (Block, Dodge, Sure Hands), and 5th best catcher skill (Sidestep, Block, Sure Feet, Sure Hands), it just hasn't happened.

I think kick is going to help me win games, so I took it. It's that simple. Getting to troll a few people along the way is just gravy =)
licker

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you miss the larger point.

Ok, I don't think you do, I know you do.

Since you're just interested in trolling though I won't bother to explain it to you, and I'll just continue to tell you that your selection of kick on this player was the worst skill selection in the history of fumbbl.

Literally. I mean that literally, there has never been a worse skill selection.
Harad

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2015 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Licker someone shared with me break tackle on a ST3 AG3 player. Make that second worst.
 Jump to: