25 coaches online • Server time: 04:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What shall we do with Fizzle?
Scorer - What wardancer? Throw me the ball, coach!
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Point Guard/Retriever - Lose that thrower and give me sure hands, coach! I'll get the ball into Tex's hands.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blitzer - Give me block and tackle coach! I'll get mighty blow and be the best hitting catcher since ever.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Sacker - Give me Wrackle, coach! I'll play safety and knock that ball free for you.
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

So, this guy crashed my wardancer project. I've actually only ever had one other +ST Wood Elf catcher, and it came as a legend skill, so I didn't have to give any thought on what to do with him. He sort of did the same job as he always did, oneturned and caught passes. Going from 2 to 3ST is hardly the same as going from 3 to 4ST.

Blank canvas on this guy, who is essentially a high elf catcher with an extra skill. TV cost is actually pretty reasonable, only coming in at 10tv over the high elf chassis, assuming you are okay with sprint and sure feet for 40tv. Since it puts him into the endzone on 2 pushes, I think it's a good deal, but what to do with him? Feel free to share your +ST wood elf catchers and their stories.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Block side step is a good start. Hard do move around, and easier oneturner with side step. Blodge obviously golden with side step. Wrestle is equally good instead of block. So 2 skills are already ironed out. Chances are you will pick another stat. If it is an agility, then retriever. If strength, then a spuper blocker with any number of crazy potential including frenzy. If movement, then further enhancing the oneturning capability. So the player is pretty much set in my opinion. Take Block/Wrestle, and Side step, and take the stat when it comes.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a similar situation with this team... I plan to give him block and just see where the SP rolls take me... If he survives that long Smile.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

It's one of the odd players where I would consider skipping +ST. Of course I wouldn't actually skip it, I'd just consider skipping it...

What does +ST actually make him better at? Like you said st3 is not the same effect as st4, so what is his job, or supposed job, that he does better at S3 and S2?

He will not be a blitzer, you have WDs to do that. As a scorer it doesn't matter that much, other than when he's left alone to get blitzed. As a retriever it doesn't help at all.

I'd likely take guard if I were really going to skip it. But there's more than one way to play elfs.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I imagine breaking through the last line of defense (assuming it's 8 players) is still a challenge for an AG 4 one-turner (unless he has Leap, that is). With ST 3 he can blitz through it far more reliably (if one knows how to chain-push without using the blitz).
If he spends his time on the bench and only comes out for a quick score or two, the +ST is probably wasted (you could even take Nerves of Steel to increase his potential). If he does other stuff, ST 3 can't be wrong, I think.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not turning it down either, but I don't think it provides much of a boost to the player either. Certainly not compared to when you get it on a gutter who can then turn into your sacker.

WE have the perfect player already to be the sacker, and to be the hitter with a double.

I guess you could give him MB if he does roll another double, but then he's even further removed from his usual role.

Personally I like guard on those players, yeah, you will say it gets them killed, but you don't use it just to use it, you use it when you really need to use it. And if it works they can't afford to waste too much effort on the guarder because they have to go find where you ran off to with the ball Smile

But to the point of him being a one turner... he still needs/wants side step, and leap is better for it than is blitzing, a lot of the time you are blitzing to get the extra push anyway. At least WE who don't use a tree with grab.

Finally there's still the TV hit, which isn't something I'm overly concerned about, but it can be a factor in some situations.

Still, +ST then wrestle, then side step, then sure feet... Not a bad player at all. I'd still like my blodge/ss/guard guy a lot, but hard to turn down +ST.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I considered turning down the +ST. I actually only took it because I was curious about what uses I might find for him. I decided to take it because WE catchers actually only have a few GA skills worth taking, mainly due to starting with three of them already.

Block, Dodge, Sprint, Sure Feet, Catch, Sidestep, +ST seems like a pretty good start. That's going to bring him to 51spp. At that point, he's sort of like a sprint, sure feet, catch, sidestep wardancer. Which is actually a pretty crappy wardancer when you think about it that way.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

With AV 7, he needs either Block or Wrestle asap - too big of a risk otherwise, too far to the next skill without. But which?

It's a late +Stat, and he already has some skills that were sending him a specific direction, so - what do you do with a very fast* St 3, who is worth a lot of TV?

(* Guaranteed MA 8, mostly-reliable MA 9-10. semi-reliable MA 11)

Well, St 3 does little for his scoring, except keep him standing if hit before he scores, and on D. Meh.

And St 3 does nothing as a Retriever role - that's all about Agil, a St 2 can do that just as well. So if you want that, that's someone else who only needs 2 normal skills (Sure Feet + Sure Hands) to be just as good.

So, for my money... Sacker. Wrestle + Strip, 1d hits w/ RR pretty much anywhere on the field. Tackle later, or SS if you want to maximize his OTS potential (and make him scary when marking a cage corner).

You already have a +MA WD who does that, but he's a big target, and AV 7 having 2 defensive threats is not a bad thing. And meanwhile, MA 11 can still score any time.

(Note - You currently only have 1 Catcher and a small pile of cash. If you're min-maxing, then Scorer must be his primary role - so Block (to keep him standing), and possibly SS if OTS is your thing.

St 3 will still help keep him healthy, and more useful on D. If OTS isn't attractive then Block + Strip is not a terrible thing. If you 2-TS a lot and think he can survive standing (or you have a pass/handoff plan to the end-zone), Wrestle could do double duty, as he can still move 8(!) from prone.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The single takeaway is that get a treeman with guard.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

He still scores but now he can assist on defense. Get block and guard.
https://fumbbl.com/p/player?op=view&player_id=9438521
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
Block, Dodge, Sprint, Sure Feet, Catch, Sidestep, +ST seems like a pretty good start. That's going to bring him to 51spp. At that point, he's sort of like a sprint, sure feet, catch, sidestep wardancer. Which is actually a pretty crappy wardancer when you think about it that way.

But it is still almost like having three Wardancers, and you should give him wrackle.
Harad

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2015 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You should have taken kick Wink
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2015 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, kick was the skill to take.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2015 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
The single takeaway is that get a treeman with guard.

Yeah, winning that blocking war up front is a huge priority. I'll get on that.

In all seriousness, he'll take guard next, but grab is better on wood elf treemen, and probably treemen in general.

If you aren't aware, a grab treeman and sure feet catcher can one-turn with 4 players on the pitch. Grab also lets you keep downed opponents in your blocking radius while rooted.

Smeat wrote:
(Note - You currently only have 1 Catcher and a small pile of cash. If you're min-maxing, then Scorer must be his primary role - so Block (to keep him standing), and possibly SS if OTS is your thing.

I generally only run thrower/catcher or 2 catchers. I'm also paying 290tv for that wardancer on this team, and sitting on the north edge of the TV zone where I like to play as it is. This team isn't shooting for majors, just good fun bloodbowl.

Last edited by Rat_Salat on %b %15, %2015 - %04:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2015 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe I would make him a Sweeper/Sacker type with Frenzy.
With that MA and Sprint + Sure Feet he can threaten the sidelines from anywhere on the pitch.
Block at 31, Frenzy at 51 then Side Step.
Either that or I would get him Block, Tackle and Dauntless (to take down things like Bull Centaurs or to hit BOBs and Golems at a distance).

I know people say you have War Dancers for that. But how bad would it be to have 3 players that can fulfill that role in slightly different ways.

Last edited by Catalyst32 on %b %15, %2015 - %04:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: