43 coaches online • Server time: 14:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Medon

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

What's the best way to use the apo?

If you always use him to cure a BH player, it's as if you had an additional player on the bench. For the price of 50k so always worth the money. Can use it almost every match. Quite comparable to a Budweiser babe actually.

If you would always wait for a perm or death to occur, the chances are high you can't even use him at all during most matches. At the same time you give away 50k inducements, so basically giving your opponent a free Budweiser babe.

Conclusion: Curing BH if you want to win. Wait for perm or death if you are a pixel hugger.

Is this conclusion correct or am I missing something?
C3I2

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of the time outside of tournaments, its an 50TV insurance policy for your star players. But the correct use is dependant on the match situation. Say, you have two turns left, you weigh the risk to your star player vs. the use of a KO guy last turn? The risk is obviously a lot lower with only one and a half turn for the opponents to bash you.
Merrick18818

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I only use it to fix perms. Or maybe a MNG in a tournament.

Nuffle will make sure that if you use it on a BH or MNG in a progression format, one of your players WILL die or take a stat decrease in the next couple of turns.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It's really situational to heal BHs. Not all BHs are worth healing based on player and not all BHs are worth healing based on timing of injury.

I had a recent game where healing a KO on the field helped prevent a score with a snotling by blocking off the easiest scoring route, but that's like the only time in 800 or so games I've done that.

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?op=view&id=3668241
AegisTheHyena

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I save the Apo for perms, maaaaaaybe an early BH if I am somewhat outmatched since I don't usually keep much of a deep bench.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 21:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's 100% situational. And varies massively.

In L, or open L or B play, it's usual to use it for saving the life of the teams best guys.

In tourneys, first half BH's or early drive KO's is probably best bang for buck.

Amusingly in a resurection game i was involved in my opponent tried to use it to cure a missing on one of his 2 key blodgers, and was offered missing or missing. The next round I bh'd the other one, which would of course have been an auto save and given him one for the second half.

So, completely situational.

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

context specific

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Medon wrote:
Conclusion: Curing BH if you want to win. Wait for perm or death if you are a pixel hugger.

It's basically correct but simplistic.

There are times when keeping a key player on the field early (a St 4 Guard, perhaps, or your own heavy hitter) will keep more (of your) players healthy than an apo.

And there are times (esp in 2nd half) when keeping a KO on the field will do both (win and help keep players standing) for very little risk.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Apr 03, 2015 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

As an old pixle-hugger (like most blood-bowl-coaches) i used to use the apo only on a perm or dead roll. Nowadays I also sometimes use him on a badly hurt, but quite rarely. Most important to me: save the team, only second to this is: win the game.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2015 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Medon wrote:

It depends.

In a recent tournament game an opponent tried to apoth a MNG. Not because he needed to player to win but (I assume) because he wanted him for the next round.

It is not just waiting for a perm/death but waiting for a player that is important enough.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2015 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to heal BH on important players early game, or save it for perms on players worth saving if that doesn't happen.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2015 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, nuffle just smote me earlier. Used the Apo on MNG and the back to back deaths.

Oh, it's stings! Lol
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2015 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, it goes on a 1st half BH or a vital KO the vast majority of the time.

Stuff being killed is less painful than losing.
 Jump to: