55 coaches online • Server time: 23:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 04:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Of late, it seems every thread I post in eventually gets hijacked by the "spread SPP around crowd" who seem deeply offended by my seemingly mindless adherence to the "Rule of 5".

The Rule of Five
"As you can only reliably screen a maximum of five players from a blitz in a defensive position, it is therefore optimal to centralize your skills on no more than five players"

My elf teams are generally constructed with no more than five positional players, and sometimes as few as three. Linemen tend to have few skills, if any. SPP is often centralized on two or three players. An extreme example of this team building philosophy is my current wood elf team, which consists of one +ST, +AG, +MA wardancer, a second +ST wardancer, a block treeman... and after 11 games, finally a line elf with mighty blow.

Back in LRB4, TV was calculated differently. Ageing rules and the manner in which team value was calculated made teams with a couple of pros and a bunch of joes uncompetitive. CRP indirectly boosted elves by introducing the killstack, which punished "hybrid" teams such as Humans and Necro. Bash teams aspiring for the killstack tend to take less tackle than the fast strength teams, creating an elf-friendly environment. Elf players in ranked are free to avoid the hybrid teams and instead play against ST4 bash, their easiest matchup... or avoid mighty blow altogether, but that is another thread.

ST4 bash coaches looking to skill their various slow-developing front line players eagerly accept games against AV7 elves, seeking casualties against unskilled elf linemen. Said elf team suffers some attrition to bash team, but generally wins game without losing prized pieces such as wardancers. Chaos coach wishes he could have won, but happily selects next skill in the killstack on lucky Chaos Warrior. Elf coach happy that he only lost unskilled lineman, both players continue to enjoy bloodbowl.

In addition, there are various play and team-building philosophies that I adhere to that regularly come under fire from Fumbbl players, a large proportion whom I accuse of being LRB4 grognards. These ideas include, but are not limited to:

1) Don't take +stats on linemen, except +AG... (a) on AG3 teams without a ball handler OR (b) On a wood elf
2) Don't take +ST or doubles on elf throwers
3) If you don't like any of your skill options, take kick
4) Don't go out of your way to skill linemen
5) Save your apothecary for your best players
6) 5,5 on any elf blitzer is mighty blow
7) 6,6 on a superstar Skaven blitzer is claw
8. Treemen take grab first
9) Wood Elf catchers take sure feet first
10) Score with whoever has the ball, don't screw around trying to hand off to a lineman
11) Your #1 priority on any team is to get a mighty blow blitzer
12) Wood Elf throwers are better than high elf throwers because +MA is better than safe throw
13) Wardancers should take Strip Ball, Tackle, and Sidestep, in that order.
14) Sidestep is a better legend skill on a wardancer than getting AG6
15) Wood Elf catchers are the best scoring player in bloodbowl

Comments on any of these much-debated ideas are welcome here... try not to crap up every damn thread with it.

That means you, licker.

Last edited by Rat_Salat on %b %13, %2015 - %20:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn... I would comment it, but... I yet have to figure out how without looking like I'm trolling again. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 04:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not an issue of crapping up threads with it, it's an issue that you apply this to some degree to every team you ask questions about.

If you don't want to hear advice that's different from your preconceived notions of how teams should be built stop asking for it.
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 05:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick is best Legend skill, QED.
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess you could have just write to the guy in question, Licker.
fidius

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 05:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps if we all just admitted he's the best dam team-builder on the site, he wouldn't feel the need to post threads at all.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

how can your #11 priority be your #1 priority? kick, by the way
delusional

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Why is a wood elf catcher better then a skaven Gutter runner?

Wood elves do have the ag to back their catchers up.
Catcher 8 2 4 7 Catch, Dodge,
vs
Gutter Runner 9 2 4 7 Dodge

Not hard to skill the Gutter runner up IMHO.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:
Why is a wood elf catcher better then a skaven Gutter runner?

Wood elves do have the ag to back their catchers up.
Catcher 8 2 4 7 Catch, Dodge,SPRINT
vs
Gutter Runner 9 2 4 7 Dodge

Not hard to skill the Gutter runner up IMHO.

fixed it for you.[/b]

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

catcher also has sprint...

it's the catch that he argues makes them better as pure scorers, clearly they are not better all around than a gutter is
SavageJ

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

First, fundamentally, I agree with the thinking behind the rule of 5. I'm happy to engage in a debate/discussion of the ideas in the op.

Regarding idea #1 (no stats on linemen), specifically:

I tend to take stats on linemen, though I won't take +MA on an otherwise unskilled player. I have teams where a +stat lineman has become one of the 5 and another player that might typically have that protection does not.

However, I won't argue that it's better to do this. There are many reasons, most of which are articulated in the concepts behind the rule of 5, to think this is suboptimal. I do it because you never know when a double +stat player is going to come along, and I like to maximize my chances of that happening. Some of my teams have suffered from this, others have benefited.
SavageJ

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Idea #2 (no ST or doubles on elf thrower):

I've done this. In fact, I've done both on the same player. ST4 Guard is nice ... almost anywhere other than an elf thrower. Neutral

Yup, I have to agree with this one. (Except maybe Strong Arm--that's just fun.)
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

iz bollocks

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty much everything there is sound but not everyone is gonna agree.