36 coaches online • Server time: 10:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
koadah wrote:
Is the rule of 5 even relevant outside the Box?

If you are not playing CPOMBers every game why does it matter?

AV7 elves don't care about claw, and tacklepomb isn't rare in ranked at all. Unless you're planning on retiring your team at 1750tv or elfball the rest of your life, you're going to see tacklepomb, which is effectively clawpomb against elves.

Ah, I forgot. You guys still play vanilla CRP.

I think I'll continue to blodge, wrodge and +stat linos as it suits me.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

All those ideas sound fine... is there really worthy debate going on?

It's not like any said "First 2 skills on your Troll should be leap and dirty player" ...

bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Lets just call it a "very humble suggestion of 5". It is generally sound, but there are so many exceptions, pitfalls, situational matchups, special teams, context, where it is not the best.
If you are not interested in the last few % points of efficiency (95% efficiency is still legend territory), then you can follow it. 95% is extremely good, but it is not equal to perfection.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's not call it a "very humble suggestion"
Rule is fine, rules are made to broken and the exception proves the rule Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be great if you could skill up more than five players, but elves die out so quickly you will never manage... Wink
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I just have a few problems with this so-called rule of 5.

1) It sounds like a meta-game changing paradigm when its just a fancy way of saying its a different kick-off setup, and a team building principle based on that.

2)It is a narrow team building principle because of the limited experience of the maker, who avoids teams/coaches who are hard to play against for these kinds of teams.

3)It is just another disguise for pixel hugging, by limiting your affection to the few pixels who have lots of skills, and even losing games to protect these players. Also these kinds of teams suck when the "stars" are removed early or the rookie are forced to make any kind of plays.

4)Rat assumes that most bash players are idiots, maybe because he only plays against the bad ones. As a bash player I find this offensive.

Mostly I think these "rules" are okay, but not great. Rat is an above-average coach, but not someone who can make or change the metagame. Sorry bro Wink

PS. Reign of terror was ended
Oly1987

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I might indirectly use the rule of 5 (Human coaches want as much SPP on their quartet of blitzers) but im certainly not going out of my way to stop skilling other players.

For me it all a little too Meta. Just enjoy it without restricting yourself to silly rules. Make mad skill combo's and enjoy them while they last. Players die and new players replace them with their own fate of skill rolls and choices. Lets not cookie cutter. Ignoring stats or doubles on any player without an incredibly good reason makes me very sad as these are things to be savoured not discarded
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 12:33
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Stonetroll wrote:
I just have a few problems with this so-called rule of 5.

1) It sounds like a meta-game changing paradigm when its just a fancy way of saying its a different kick-off setup, and a team building principle based on that.

2)It is a narrow team building principle because of the limited experience of the maker, who avoids teams/coaches who are hard to play against for these kinds of teams.

3)It is just another disguise for pixel hugging, by limiting your affection to the few pixels who have lots of skills, and even losing games to protect these players. Also these kinds of teams suck when the "stars" are removed early or the rookie are forced to make any kind of plays.

4)Rat assumes that most bash players are idiots, maybe because he only plays against the bad ones. As a bash player I find this offensive.

Mostly I think these "rules" are okay, but not great. Rat is an above-average coach, but not someone who can make or change the metagame. Sorry bro Wink

PS. Reign of terror was ended

qft

Specifically the 'rule of five' is a catchy name for a kicking set up, not a system of team development. Even then it is inaccurate and flawed. The 'rule of five plus three (of which only one can be hit)' isn't as catchy but more accurate. And once that single situation is played out is null anyways. Once that first turn is done your adherence to this one concept limits all other plays and strategies.

If the purpose of these threads is to improve your play, then do the opposite. Be more creative, seek more fun.

Free your mind and your teams will follow.

Last edited by PurpleChest on %b %11, %2015 - %12:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Kam

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
8. Treemen take grab first

Certainly not. Treemen take BT first.

Oh you're not talking about Fling Treemen? That's kinda my point actually. What are you talking about? I see Wood Elves everywhere, then you start talking about Rats, then more Elves... Because you know that sort of teambuilding is worthless with Orcs or Zons for instance (or... pretty much every race I've ever played - but again, I'm no good with Elves)... So what races are you talking about?

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I use the rule of Six. The rest of the team is disposable, because they are ST1 AV5 stunty.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
The 'rule of five plus three (of which only one can be hit)' isn't as catchy but more accurate.
If the purpose of these threads is to improve your play, then do the opposite. Be more creative, seek more fun.

+1 to these suggestions. Having 5 good players, and then trying to protect a kick+leader is not sound team building. On the other hand it is sound to build blodging elves (or guarding/wrestling/blocking orcs) beyond those 5. Of course there are also exceptions to that concept. That is also just a "humble suggestion", not a rule.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 to paddymick
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

3 for the elves, 7 for the dwarves and 9 for the humans.

Oh, wait.

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
3 for the elves, 7 for the dwarves and 9 for the humans.

Oh, wait.

\o/ Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2015 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I would prefer to take as many positionals as possible, why limit it to only five? My main conern with positionals is not to protect them, but to use them!
 Jump to: