51 coaches online • Server time: 15:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Getting diced 3 game...goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2015 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:
...I'll be watching you to see this epic moment, but don't pick! ^^

In their last 12 games those wood elves have played 4 norse and 4 Chaos teams. I don't remember how much claw the Chaos teams had, but there were a number of snow trolls. I don't think the skaven (Cubic) had a claw, but I wouldn't have cared if it had.

The last thing wood elves care about is claw, treeman or no.

The reason you and I don't play much awambawamb, is that you favor heavy bash teams in a ranked environment. Generally every player on your teams have some kind of damage skill, and that introduces a heavily random element into games that I find makes them less enjoyable.

You're free to play bloodbowl however you like, but personally I would find the long waits in gamefinder tedious.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2015 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
My treemen don't hide from claw. Be my guest, commit 3-4 players to taking down that player who could take root and do nothing for the rest of the drive anyway. They are outstanding at creating space for the wardancers.

JanMattys wrote:
LOL
Interesting distinction, especially when you're the one defining what is fun and what is not.
MinMaxing is exactly what you are doing. Negative connotation or not, that's irrelevant. But your approach is the textbook definition for it, even if you are not a 1100 tv box dwarf team.

You are advertising a building philosophy that proposes rules that make your team
a) tv efficient
while
b) likely to get games against teams philosophically or mechanically inadequate to match it

That's minmaxing. Deal with it.

I guess so. If the alternative is to built something tv inefficient then I plead guilty. I think the term is better used to describe behaviour designed to exploit a system. In box, your opponent is selected for you based on a system. Understanding that matchmaking system makes min-maxxing effective.

Bloodbowl is not a balanced game, and it probably never will be. The game is no longer under development, but more importantly it is based off of a simple D6 system. There just aren't enough rungs on the ladder to make the small tweaks needed to make races roughly equivalent. The difference between AG3 and AG4 is immense. Not having an AG3.5 makes it really hard to balance human catchers with black orcs with pro elf catchers.

So what does Blood Bowl do to balance teams? Team Value. You can either look at Team Value as a side effect of playing Blood Bowl the RPG, where you skill up your "players" when they "level", or you can look at it as a limited resource to be spent on skills, stats and upgrades to the basic lineman chassis (extra positional players).

I take the latter approach.

Which is exactly what min-maxing ultimately is: choosing what gives the best bang for your buck.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, mind you.
It's just that what BB lacks in terms of balance, it offers in terms of variety. And as a result quite a few coaches like to explore possibilities more than they like to follow a strict rule.

This is my opinion, anyway.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

So, the rule of five is about conceding as soon as you use your apoth so you can preserve your remaining players?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Icy hot burn. Nothing better than ribbing a person who concedes.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, lynching them is slightly better...

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Too heavy handed, I like seeing people reform before we give them the rope.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2015 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

"Reform". Heh. You're funny.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling a different elf every turn for the last 13 turns of a game after seriously injuring three positionals isn't against the rules. Neither is conceding to prevent you from doing it.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Whats worse? That the 3d6 gambit didn't pay off or that the conspicuous lack of tackle served as a portent of your doom.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

[...]
The last thing wood elves care about is claw, treeman or no.

The reason you and I don't play much awambawamb, is that you favor heavy bash teams in a ranked environment. Generally every player on your teams have some kind of damage skill, and that introduces a heavily random element into games that I find makes them less enjoyable.

You're free to play bloodbowl however you like, but personally I would find the long waits in gamefinder tedious.

I have quite a consistent dose of BB per week ^^
and I don't even have to wait long to play. actually I have to decline games, while you keep picking on newcomers in R, introducing an element of superiority that makes the game less enjoyable... until they get better dices Wink

If you want to play games without the random element, play chess! give it up... you're gambling. that's what makes the game FUN. because you cal pull out a fling bashing a chaos warrior with a sequence of POW-POW-POW, 6+4 and 5+5 and that is bloody HILARIOUS.

Lately I've played goblins against a dwarf team and pulled out a tie... that was fun Very Happy

Last edited by awambawamb on %b %29, %2015 - %05:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:

Lately I've played goblins against a dwarf team and pulled out a tie... that was fun Very Happy

The greater the struggle, the sweeter the payoff.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb wrote:
and I don't even have to wait long to play.

That would explain why your last ranked game was 12 days ago, but you're in gamefinder every night this week?

I'm hardly alone in avoiding the likes of the Ikea Family, and I think my point stands. Seems a lot of ranked players seem to think a 2000tv chaos team with 3 claw, 6 mighty blow, 4 tackle, and 5/5/4/9 surehands ballcarrier might not be a lot of fun when you've built your own squad to not scare away your opponents.

Apparently some elf coaches don't agree, like IKEA's last ten opponents for example:

Wood Elf
Dark Elf
Wood Elf
Dark Elf
High Elf
Skaven
Wood Elf
Dark Elf
Goblin
Wood Elf

Maybe they missed the diving tackle, prehensile tail, and disturbing presence too?

Seems like you play a consistent dose of one elf team a week. If you want build an anti-elf Chaos team, go for it. If you want to play one game a week while spending an hour a night searching for opponents? Well, it's your time and you can do it to your heart's content.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This whole "thing" of invoking who people pick in Ranked to debase opinions...

Rat, why do you play Rookies, ever? It's borderline masturbatory when you pick games like this. What did you get out of this experience? Also, what possible experience can you translate from this that is useful in generalized discussion about team building? Play to your level, see how it goes, get back to us.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not always possible to do that. I don't think Rat is such a bad intentional picker. But your point is still valid, playing games like that are sort of not worth much in determining if you made good decisions or not.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2015 - 07:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
awambawamb wrote:
and I don't even have to wait long to play.

That would explain why your last ranked game was 12 days ago, but you're in gamefinder every night this week?

It is because [R]anked isn't the only game in town. Mr. Green

Jump to: