42 coaches online • Server time: 18:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you get a High Elf thrower who rolls doubles after getting strong arm?
Guard
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Mighty Blow
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stand Firm
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Piling On
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Block
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Something Else
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Pie!
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

licker

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

lol...

I think most people are familiar with the elven stall. It's not ineffective, but still reliant on surviving the attrition when you play bash.

Block is fine, dodge too, sure hands would be my choice though, but you kind of want all 3 in some order anyway.
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, when I haven't had this skill set I've been bashed by bashing teams and now that I have it I'll probably still be bashed by bashing teams. Winning any game is pretty dependent on how well your players stand up to the opponent's blocking, right?

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not talking about your thrower getting hit, I'm talking about the players you have down field while he's waiting for the opening. His job is to pick up the ball, waste some time, then move up and pass it.

He's not getting hit as much as the rest of the team, so block on him is not as necessary as other skills he needs to do his job. Sure hands for sure, and dodge next because it helps him positionally more than block does.

If you're interested in using him as a sweeper on defense, and keeping him alive longer you should have taken wrestle anyway.
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear licker,

I am sorry that I only have 11 elves on my team, one of whom is missing the next game. This is not ideal I know, I should have not allowed the 6 permanent injuries in the past 15 games to happen. But there it is, I only have eleven guys on my squad right now with 30k in the bank. Meaning, I have to play the thrower on defense. The client will simply not allow me to field ten. How rude right?

It seems to me however that if I give this guy wrestle and used it, he would be on the ground and probably fouled by my opponent, perhaps to death.

Again, having him play on defense is not so much a choice I make as one the rules sort of dictate. And with block, if he has to use it, he remains standing at least.

Kindly,

CB

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's the point, you're safer on the ground usually than you are standing up.

And so what if he plays defense? Seriously, pixel hugging seems to be warping your senses.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Retire.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Pixel hugging? Right...

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You're playing a very different version of elves than I am.

Of course you play your thrower on defense, why wouldn't you want a sure hands blodger around?

Well, I suppose if you didn't build him with sure hands and blodge, you might not want to, but that's precisely why the good players responding to your skill thread are suggesting that you do.

Great QBs win in the NFL, but in bloodbowl, great defense wins games... well that and piling on.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, so... take Piling On, right? Wink

Here's how you use a SH/Blodge Thrower in on Defense...
    1) He stays back, and assists or plays the 2nd man in a double-deep D setup. He's only a blodger at the start, but one you want to protect. Like a Sweeper, he stays ~toward~ the middle so he can respond in either direction the ball moves, wherever needed.

2) Other players will knock the ball loose - that's the plan, anyway.

3) When they do, then he Dodges in, scoops the ball w/ Ag 4 SH, and Dodges out again to Pass the ball to where it's safe - maybe forward for a quick score, maybe across the field behind a safe screen, maybe back out of MA range, maybe a "punt" to empty field one direction or another just to kill time. No Team RR should be needed, that's saved for the initial blitz or final catch, etc.

4) Once that happens, the opposition can either blitz him punitively, OR chase the ball. So he's usually safe, or safer than most.

No other player can do that with built-in RR's for the key actions - the Pickup, the Pass. He helps do what +Ag does best - capitalize on a mistake, a loose ball, make the defensive score look easy.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but you don't need block for any of that Smile

Which is why I wouldn't take block early on said player, I'd take sure hands and then dodge.
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll probably take sure hands next if he lives but it seems like a pretty big IF. I was hoping the AG 5 blitzer could be the retriever but that hasn't been going very well.

seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote a very nice write-up, it's great advice on how to use him defensively.

I will add that when you are being bashed and you have ~2-3 turns to score to turn a loss into a tie or a tie into a win... That's when you want the 'dedicated thrower'... Accurate + Strong Arm make him effective in that situation... It's also handy if you're in a tournament and win the toss in OT when you're outnumbered... Just get a guy to the end zone and your thrower will get it there for the 2+ catch to win, etc.

What would make him just as effective and better in many other situations is a +Ag roll Smile... That helps the long bomb when you need it and the nasty pickups.

The built-in safe-throw (and obviously pass) is what makes the 'long bomb' strategy somewhat effective.

I'm in a similar situation with one of my WE throwers. I arguably made a poor choice with safe throw when I chose it... It allows for that passing game more reliably but it prevented my 6 ag player from getting dodge or sure hands, both skills he needs far more often than safe throw.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

footballolb16 wrote:
I'm in a similar situation with one of my WE throwers. I arguably made a poor choice with safe throw when I chose it... It allows for that passing game more reliably but it prevented my 6 ag player from getting dodge or sure hands, both skills he needs far more often than safe throw.

Fantastic example of when taking a stat instead of a core skill, then following up with a sub-par skill choice has really hurt the team. (I'm only agreeing with you here footballolb16)

I mean, you have a 7/3/5/7 guy already, AG6 isn't the right call. This young lady was an unholy terror on the pitch, and she would have been even better had she been built on a thrower chassis.

7/3/5/7 pass, sure hands, dodge, leap, block = what elf dreams are made of, a game-changing player.

7/3/6/7 pass, safe throw, sure hands, dodge = just won't have the same impact.

You turn down doubles on elf throwers. Leap is better than AG6. This thread contains great examples of why this is true.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

He didn't make a mistake with the stat, he made the mistake with safe throw...
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2015 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
He didn't make a mistake with the stat, he made the mistake with safe throw...

I'd debate that point, but we already did in another thread.

+AG +AG Dodge Block Leap is not a bad player. I just prefer to have sure hands in there sometime before legend. I also think delaying blodge until 51spp will shorten his career more often than not.

I try not to make a habit of having 170tv guys running around on my teams with neither block nor dodge. Sort of asking for trouble, and shouldn't be at all shocked when he leaves the pitch.

+AG +AG Dodge Block Leap also costs 230tv
+AG Sure Hands Dodge Block Leap is only 210tv

Small difference? Sure. Insignificant when I also think the value of the players is comparable? Not in my opinion.
 Jump to: