18 coaches online • Server time: 04:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Keep the team or delete?
Delete
23%
 23%  [ 14 ]
Keep
76%
 76%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 60

tibbo

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Been chipping away for awhile and seem to be getting up there with a high tv rating but now cant find any matches bar teams with 5 usually more mb'ers in ranked.

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=799162

im not a very good coach obviously but do seem to be having some wins lately. should i give up or continue?
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see anything that special about the team that screams keep it going.

The newer +MA Catcher is promising.
A Lineman with Mighty Blow is nice IF you will develop him.

Then you have the 1 Turner with -AV and -ST... probably the reason you are winning games. But also likely the reason the team is having trouble getting matches.

I think I would either trim the TV down and ride the 1 Turner 'til he dies.
Get rid of the 2 promising players and go as Min/Max as you can stand.
OR
Get rid of the 1 turner and build up the other 2 players I mentioned.
Maybe dump a few others too... the drop in TV should open up more games.
OR
Scrap the team and start again.
(Probably what I would do if I wasn't very attached to the team.)
OR
Delay doing anything with this team BUT start a new team anyway.
OR
Offer every basher you see. They will take your games.
Send the team into suicide mission after suicide mission.

Last edited by Catalyst32 on %b %23, %2015 - %08:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Curro

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep on playing!

Eventually those MB teams will trim your TV to a lower value. Even if you're virtually inmune to claws. Smile
C3I2

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I offered to play....

[EDIT]... and now it is accepted. I expect to lose to the one turner, as he can do his job anyway. But I will do my best to trim of the other possible excess players on your team.
tibbo

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:07 Reply with quote Back to top

well you do have the 5 mb as well Smile good luck
albinv

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends whether you really like to keep the team for name, theme and such.
If not you could retire it ofc.

But there is no need really. Some not so well build players there but nothing that couldnt be changed back with a rebuild.

Rebuilds are never too far away from elfs anyway.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You won your last two matches. Not sure what would inspire you to make such a post.

Competition is tough.

and... sir pitcher is a waste of space, HMP, KoR? HMP is good when you can't pass but that passer can almost cross pitch and throw an accurate pass. And KoR is great when you are slow but you aren't... Those 2 skills are better suited for a Khemri Thro-ra than for a woodie passer...

NoS and Dump Off are a little peculiar but maybe not terrible with the right strategy..
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also keep them, but..........

You need to take a serious look at your skill choices and team management. Your #1 Wardancer basically has three skills that do not make him better at what he needs to do. That is just about the cost of a rookie lino in wasted Team Value.

I also agree with the previous poster that your senior thrower has some very wasteful skills.

Considering the fact that you put yourself at a huge disadvantage by choosing skills that do not make your team function better I'd say your record is actually pretty decent. Just pick some stuff that works and your results wil certainly improve. Nothing worth retiring a 50 game team over!

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Your team is special. Do no retire. Cloggy is right, but your team is functional.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Just had another look to be more specific. Wasted skills are:

#1 Dump Off, Catch, Jump Up (decent, not before tackle, side step, strip ball)
#4 Hail Mary Pass and Kick Off Return
#9 Diving Catch
#13 Nerves of Steel

If we give 0.5 value to jump up on the #1 guy that means 130 TV is skills that do not help you to be competitive. That's a lot of skills to be giving for free to your opponent.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 09:15 Reply with quote Back to top

#1 should retire, #4 should retire. #9 and 13 ideally also, but not in as much of a hurry.
#5, and especially #12 are good reasons to keep the team. Oneturners win tournaments. #8 is great too.

I'd say replace the dancer, fire the thrower, and phase out the others if your cash balance allows. Treasure that #12.

Have a look at this page.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

2-1 win for Love's Labour's Lost, by stopping the last turn "one turning". Final Hope has a mv9 catcher as well... so KO'ing the 10mv one was not enough. 3-2 in CAS, had to sacrifice to his tree. Nothing permanent for me, ag- rookie for the woodies.

He actually had use of some of the quirky skills. Not saying other choices had not been better, but the dump-off kickoff return etc works. Note that kick-off return, diving catch all works to improve the one turning.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep, but fire the gimps* and "wrong" players and rebuild. As such, it's still FAR better than a rookie team, and you'll find skilling new players back up faster and easier.

(* ~Maybe~(?) not the -St/-AV natural-OTS "MA 13" +Ag Catcher, if you love that. He's expensive and fragile, but a natural OTS is money, and if he's only on the field for that one play, -St/-AV is not a problem. Otherwise, protect him, cuz he's a HUGE target. Leap next.)

Cloggy wrote:
You need to take a serious look at your skill choices and team management...

+1, and then +another.

There are 2 things that make a "winning" coach - good tactics, and good skill choices to form a foundation for those tactics. Sorry, but you clearly lack the latter, and that's seriously handicapping the former.

That's not uncommon - it's a learned thing (my early teams certainly sucked at it! Embarassed ), just as tactics are. But you're hamstringing the team, and so yourself, by such.

C3I2 wrote:
He actually had use of some of the quirky skills. Not saying other choices had not been better, but ...

Right, but...

It's not about whether a skill is "useful", it's about whether other skills would have been (far) MORE useful, to the team as a whole if not especially that one player.

It's fine to score w/ a player to make them a stronger hitter, but never give a hitter "scoring" skills. Each position, each player has a Role on the team - choose skills that help that role, and ONLY that role.

NoS on a Lino as a first skill??? Linos get Block (or Wrestle) or Dodge as early normal skills - end of discussion*. And Wardancer #1???!!! pyew, light a match! Laughing Wardancers are for popping the ball loose so someone else can grab it - that's a Catcher's job, seriously.

(* On "any" +Ag team, 1 Lino should go Wrestle->Kick or (if you're feeling lucky) Kick->Wrestle.)

See this page for rubber-stamp "solid" early player/team skills: https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6WoodElfSurvey

You have some cash, replace that Wardancer so he can get approp skills and put J-men on the LoS for now - just don't trust them when they take any action (and "never" RR a fail!).

So, your team will be...
    1 Block/POMB Treeman*
    1 Sure Hands/Leader Thrower
    1 Tackle/DT Wardancer
    1 rookie Wardancer
    1 OTS Catcher
    1 "MA 12" Catcher
    3 Linos - rookie, NoS**, MB***
    2 j-men Linos (on the defensive LoS, and on Offense as assists, markers and screeners)
    TV = ~1740

(* With only MA 2, not sure that PO was the best choice here, but he has Block - just don't PO if he's needed as a road-block and you'll be fine.)
    (** The NoS Lino has to go - wasted skill, wasted 20k TV. But for now, he's healthy and close to a real skill - Block or (for him, probably) Dodge)
    (*** 15 spp - pass for Block asap!)

Don't replace the j-men until you have enough for 12 players - unless one of them gets some spp, then hire that one. The idea is to save up money for positionals in case you lose someone special, and to get a bench.

(And I can see KoR on a Thrower for the OTS play. Not necessary, and a bit of a one-trick-pony skill, but nice. AND, w/ Ag 4, he can get under about half the (no-Kick) Kickoffs and try to catch them - having the ball already in hand is always a nice cushion to start a drive, SH or no.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)

Last edited by Smeat on %b %23, %2015 - %10:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be careful about some of the advice you're getting here. If you don't know what you doing you'll end up breaking the site rules.

I don't advocate retiring teams, but unless you like the name it might be your best bet to avoid things getting messy.

I'd also be more aware of whom you are playing and what you are facing. You recently played a team made to take out a team like yours.
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm... Nope Shocked

EDIT: just retire a few other injured players
 Jump to: