39 coaches online • Server time: 08:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wuhan

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Wuhan, I notice your Dark Elf ranked team has one of your best win rates, while your Box Dark Elf team has one of your lowest win rates. So maybe it is opposition dependent. Possibly you don't face as much high AV in ranked? I see you have played some Chaos and Orces but there is plenty of Elves, Zons and Skaven in there where your Assassins may have been more important.

This is accurate. Many players in the box don't live to see 3 skills. And assassins really need 3 or more skills.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had 2 assassins on my dark elf team; both of them bought because I was about to face an AV7 team in a major. this onejust refuses to die. I'm regularly surprised by how effective MA6 shadowing is at screwing up opponents' turns, provided you don't actually count on it doing so.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is they need several more skills to become useful, that makes them even more expensive players. Elves frequently die young so they need to get good quickly, not 20 games after they join the team.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Wuhan, I notice your Dark Elf ranked team has one of your best win rates, while your Box Dark Elf team has one of your lowest win rates.

This is fairly consistent with all players. Dark Elves have one of the very highest ranked winning percentages, and one of the very lowest box winning percentage. This is probably due to ranked DE coaches generally avoiding mass-tackle teams, and dwarves being common in box.

Dark Elves are similar to Amazons in that they are borderline broken against teams without tackle, but nearly crippled against those who have it in abundance.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

DE are the pickers team of choice in ranked for sure.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

so if yer a dirty, Ranked, DE picker, even more reason to get the assassins right?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

True story Very Happy

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Rat_Salat wrote:
I'm in the "they are bad" camp.

A dark elf starts with a 6/3/4/8 stat line, and it takes quite a good player to be a better option than them. Blitzers are fantastic, so you already have 4 players who you want to skill. You can build a great Dark Elf team out of just Blitzers and Linemen, but adding one or two AV7 players isn't bad.

For me, the additional player is a Witch Elf, with her 7/3/4/7 stat line and three skills. This leaves you with six linemen in the starting 11, which is a nice number of versatile, durable linemen who can blodge up or take guard. Weakening this core of AV8 supporting cast by exchanging them for more expensive, less durable players like Runners or Assassins does not make your team stronger. You pay more for fragile pieces with gimmick abilities that look great on paper, but tend to under perform on the pitch.

If you did want to expand the roster past the blitzers and first witch, surely the second witch or a runner would be a better option. Maybe "Rule of Five" isn't your bag, but surely we can understand that 8 is too many.

TLDR: DE Linemen are awesome, think hard before swapping them out for more positionals

dammit but.. qft.

(Thats Rat_Salat, pythrr and licker i've agreed with totally within one week. What are the other signs of the apocalypse? we better be on guard.)

wait, what? when did this happen...?

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
garyt1 wrote:
Wuhan, I notice your Dark Elf ranked team has one of your best win rates, while your Box Dark Elf team has one of your lowest win rates.

..This is probably due to ranked DE coaches generally avoiding mass-tackle teams, and dwarves being common in box..

Not so many Dwarfs from what I have seen. Ok they will be in above average numbers but I don't see that being a big % difference.

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

To follow up a bit on RSs analysis.

It's not really about them being AV7, AV7 isn't a problem by itself. It's that assassins don't give you any good starting skills, and don't give you any room to build them into anything other than a lineman with a knife. Similar argument for runners, who at least are faster, but dump off and access to P is pointless when your 1st 2 skills should probably be block and dodge anyway.

Rarely you will appreciate stabbing over blocking, but it's rare, niche situations, where you'd probably rather have someone with tackle and someone else with guard, or really almost any other combination of useful skills.

I also laugh so hard at multi block assassins. I mean, really, it's a completely wasted skill to take unless you are playing children who have no conception of how to position.
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

so .. if I name my multi block assassin "child stabbing bastard', does that make it ok?

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
so .. if I name my multi block assassin "child stabbing bastard', does that make it ok?

Does it make it ok to stab children?

I think this thread is veering off topic...

By the way, what do you get when you stab a child?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Loss of child support payments?
Dinner?
25 to Life?
licker

Post   Posted: May 26, 2015 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
licker wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Loss of child support payments?
Dinner?
25 to Life?

Oh, it's much worse than that, but I cannot share the answer lest I face the wrath of the admins Smile
Wuhan

Post   Posted: May 27, 2015 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

a sacrifice to appease rumsfeld?
 Jump to: