24 coaches online • Server time: 08:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
+MA Wardancer 5,5?
Mighty Blow
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Take +MA, and make him a one-push guy
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Take +MA, and make him a natural
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 27

Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

So, my league wardancer just rolled 5,5 on his second skill to go with +MA. I instantly selected mighty blow, since I've always said 5,5 on a wardancer takes the double.

But, does that change when you already have +MA? Do build the sidestep oneturner, or perhaps even give him sprint and sure feet?

I'm interested. What would you have done?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have taken +MA for a side step oneturner.
A MA 10 WD is a nightmare.
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Should have taken AV.

Seriously.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I could always go back and change it, but I'm kinda looking to keep winning.

I'm in the playoff hunt, and I'm not sure MA10 is gonna help me as much against White Rock Midnight as mighty blow would...
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
I could always go back and change it, but I'm kinda looking to keep winning.

I'm in the playoff hunt, and I'm not sure MA10 is gonna help me as much against White Rock Midnight as mighty blow would...

One turning capability is a game changer.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Retire
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Yeah, it kind of is isn't it?

Let's try it.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Yeah, it kind of is isn't it?

Let's try it.

Yes it is.
By the way rolling a 10 is less likely than rolling a double, you could roll another double in the future and MA 10 on a WD is too good to ignore it.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Yes it is.
By the way rolling a 10 is less likely than rolling a double, you could roll another double in the future and MA 10 on a WD is too good to ignore it.

Well, we'll see how much of a game-changer it is. But to your first point, while it is true that he is more likely to roll another double than another 10, we've now made 6,4 into a single roll, since we can't take +MA again. This removes two specials from the skill-up sequence.

My issue with the player is that we've invested two skills into his movement, and we still don't have any of the three "Core" wardancer singles (sidestep, tackle, strip ball). He's probably going to be less effective than a rather plain tackle/strip ball guy for a while yet. Also, if he happens to roll a double or stat again before superstar, we're going to have to decide which of the three we are going to do without. Sidestep is the logical next choice, since we decided oneturning was better than mighty blow, so now we're potentially missing out on strip ball or tackle until legend. That's not optimal, but perhaps he will make up for it with oneturn cheese.
fidius

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have a mouse in your pocket?
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 01:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

Yes it is.

Well, we'll see how much of a game-changer it is. But to your first point, while it is true that he is more likely to roll another double than another 10, we've now made 6,4 into a single roll, since we can't take +MA again. This removes two specials from the skill-up sequence.

My issue with the player is that we've invested two skills into his movement, and we still don't have any of the three "Core" wardancer singles (sidestep, tackle, strip ball). He's probably going to be less effective than a rather plain tackle/strip ball guy for a while yet. Also, if he happens to roll a double or stat again before superstar, we're going to have to decide which of the three we are going to do without. Sidestep is the logical next choice, since we decided oneturning was better than mighty blow, so now we're potentially missing out on strip ball or tackle until legend. That's not optimal, but perhaps he will make up for it with oneturn cheese.

Do you know many BS wins and ties I accrued in the past two months thanks to all sorts of OTTD shenanigans? Multitudes.
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

All that's true, but you can only blitz once per turn anyway. Can't your other wardancer take the "traditional" path?

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

He's not a real one turner until/unless you take sprint (which begs for sure feet) and or side step.

MA9 is plenty, you're much better off hoping for MA on a catcher and make him your defacto one turner. As it is, otherwise, you're gimping him almost completely on defense, he will bring nothing useful on that end, other than being a WD to begin with...

I'm telling you, since this is L (and NWFL?) AV is actually worth considering. As is TV management for next season since there is a cap...
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 04:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

I don't see the problem.
I know that he can't have more MA now, my point is that the chance of rolling a 10 on 2d6 is 8.33% while rolling a double is 16.66%, so it's better to take +MA now because, if you ignore it then getting another +MA in the future will be less likely than rolling a double for Mighty Blow or whatever. If you should roll another 10 you can take a normal skill, it's not a wasted roll anyway.

Rat_Salat wrote:

My issue with the player is that we've invested two skills into his movement, and we still don't have any of the three "Core" wardancer singles (sidestep, tackle, strip ball). He's probably going to be less effective than a rather plain tackle/strip ball guy for a while yet.
Also, if he happens to roll a double or stat again before superstar, we're going to have to decide which of the three we are going to do without. Sidestep is the logical next choice, since we decided oneturning was better than mighty blow, so now we're potentially missing out on strip ball or tackle until legend. That's not optimal, but perhaps he will make up for it with oneturn cheese.

Well it's a long term plan, of course, also, your poll was about taking either Mighty Blow or +MA, you didn't mention other choices, so I answered according to the options you suggested.
You can take Tackle/Strip Ball on the other WD, and Strip Ball gets less useful over time anyway, when almost any ball carrier has Sure Hands.
MA 10 is awesome, we are not talking about a simple player, but an AG 4 Blodge leaper who can threat a great area of the pitch (he could snatch the ball easily with a Blitz! event) both in offence and in defence.
He can be a great ball carrier to stall the game in offence deep in your half of the pitch, MA 10 means you can either Hand Off or Quick Pass to a Catcher(or the other way around if you want to score with the WD), moving the ball 18 or more squares in a turn quite safely.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, the deciding factor was that I've never actually had a MA10 wardancer before. I suspect that MA9 MB is better in the short term, and quite possibly the long term as well, but try new things yea?

I think it's pretty unlikely I go sprint/sure feet, since his next 3 singles are all strong, and the weakest of the 3 singles (side step) is really useful for oneturning. With that said, perhaps this one goes completely outside the box and rolls with an unorthodox build like sprint/sure feet/sure hands. We're gonna have fun with it and see how it goes.

Onepush OTT (2d block, pickup, pass, catch, 2gfi): 69.46 %
Onepush OTT w/sf (2d block, pickup, pass, catch, 2gfi w/sf): 77.729 %
Natural OTT (pickup, pass, catch, 3gfi w/sf): 78.143 %
Touchback Onepush OTT (2d block, 2gfi): 89.163 %
Touchback Natural OTT (3gfi w/sf): 91.628 %
Touchback Onepush OTT w/sf (2d block, 2gfi w/sf): 93.164 %

Sure feet seems like a decent get regardless. Note that onepush OTTs tend to require more dodging, or can be disrupted by stand firm/sidestep.
 Jump to: