32 coaches online • Server time: 09:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 145 League and Tourn...goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades meta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Pffft. Who cares about games 1-20?

Tell us about games 21-40. Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

why not a thousand games?
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=775542
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Rat_Salat wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
we were laughing our asses off when that happened

4+ 3+ with no reroll... what you gonna do?

Works a third of the time I guess.

That's the hardest thing to appreciate about this game sometimes - unlikely events happen and are absolutely part of the game and can sometimes seemingly make a mockery of the preceding turns played.

I've kept my sanity by rooting for longshots to pull through - they hit just often enough to be delightful no matter the side I'm on.

The lowest chance of actions happening are for actions you don't try. I have significant amount of such miracle plays in the box. Sometimes a superstar dies in at the goal line going for it, other times it succeeds. Assuming the game is fair, and well fought, going into the very last turn, the difference between winning and losing is try a miracle play at the end of each half. (But of course it does matter if that miracle play aims for a tie or a win, so the turns before are meaningful too.)
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 10:14 Reply with quote Back to top

1/3 isn't exactly a miracle though.

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You, don't have to tell me, I was reading the thread - I'm glad that my evangelism has converted the heathen Calcium to Passing Touchdownism. I also noticed that RatSalad seems to be a much more successful Wood Elf coach than me, and seems (from his match reports) to use much more stalling/grinding than I do. This is not a criticism of him, I enjoyed his account of his games and they seemed to be very even-handed.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
You, don't have to tell me, I was reading the thread - I'm glad that my evangelism has converted the heathen Calcium to Passing Touchdownism. I also noticed that RatSalad seems to be a much more successful Wood Elf coach than me, and seems (from his match reports) to use much more stalling/grinding than I do. This is not a criticism of him, I enjoyed his account of his games and they seemed to be very even-handed.

Hold on, hold on. You have converted Calcium to what?

I think I would like to hear that from Calcium. Mr. Green

Your woods are currently 1/3/9. That is not the greatest endorsement of your approach.

Really, it would be easy enough to create a league with 'must pass' rules. When you play in the official divisions you have to play 'proper' ball to win.

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Koadah, well done for still not getting the point...I suggested that we make passing more effective...the implication here is it's not effective enough at the moment...my record shows that is very ineffective (I think I have something like a 25% win percentage with Wood Elves, who I always try to pass with).

The Calcium thing was a joke, I don't know how I could have made that more obvious.
Fingard

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are left with too many loners.
I expect your win ratio to drop in next games, unless you're lucky with match-ups.
If I were you, I'd try to buy a thrower and skill him with leader, while firing a reroll.
2 rerolls are not worth their TV if you can use them only with 4/5 players (even if 2 are the dancers).
markor

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry, I just realised that me, koadah and the previous poster who mentioned me are derailing the thread, so I will say no more and just enjoy the match reports.
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
I suggested that we make passing more effective...the implication here is it's not effective enough at the moment...my record shows that is very ineffective (I think I have something like a 25% win percentage with Wood Elves, who I always try to pass with).

Correlation does not equal causation.

Also, this is a very interesting thread; will the Woodies get high enough to meet some real Box heavies or will they keep getting their wings clipped and 'find their level' as it were.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Fingard wrote:
I think you are left with too many loners.

This part of my hypothesis at least, has been proven true thus far. It's a very small sample, but a much higher attrition rate than I see in ranked, due to facing a little more mighty blow than I normally would at 1000-1350tv

Fingard wrote:
I expect your win ratio to drop in next games, unless you're lucky with match-ups.

I also expect the win rate to drop as I face more bash.

Fingard wrote:
If I were you, I'd try to buy a thrower and skill him with leader, while firing a reroll.
2 rerolls are not worth their TV if you can use them only with 4/5 players (even if 2 are the dancers).

I tried to hire a thrower to give him leader. He died. It would have been my third reroll, though. Two isn't enough when you need to leap on a 3 and 1D pow for wins.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Pffft. Who cares about games 1-20?

Tell us about games 21-40. Wink

So very true. Kalevalan Uusi Aika had a 18/2/0 row after 20 games. And only 22nd game resulted in a loss.

After that it has been a steady spiral down, now standing at 30/5/6. Mostly because of the mythical 30 game border that opens up matches versus anybody.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

markor wrote:
Sorry, I just realised that me, koadah and the previous poster who mentioned me are derailing the thread, so I will say no more and just enjoy the match reports.

It's not much of a derail really. The thread has huge "CPOMB/Box whine" potential. Twisted Evil

I think how to play elves in the Box is fairly on topic.

Rat is already carrying SIX journeymen and I don't know how many serious tackle-POMBers he has run into so far. He only has enough cash in the bank to cover one WD.

All those journeymen may not be a problem for a true "rule of five"er though. Mr. Green

Even so, personally I wouldn't bother replacing the tree when he dies. Calcium seemed to remove it easily enough.
As TV protection is reduced I don't think that the tree will be worth it vs serious claw boys.

Anyway, if passing is so important to you why not go for Pro Elves rather than Woods?

I just don't think that 20 games is a big enough test.

When Rat wins the Black Box Sprint I'll be more than happy to call him the Dog's What's its Mr. Green

tmoila wrote:

So very true. Kalevalan Uusi Aika had a 18/2/0 row after 20 games. And only 22nd game resulted in a loss.

After that it has been a steady spiral down, now standing at 30/5/6. Mostly because of the mythical 30 game border that opens up matches versus anybody.

Aye. He's heading towards the deep water. Twisted Evil

But Kalevalan Uusi Aika are in fine shape and have a good deep war chest.

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It's not much of a derail really. The thread has huge "CPOMB/Box whine" potential.

I didn't encounter piling on until my 10th game. Claw is mostly irrelevant, although it obviously played a factor in removing that tree.

koadah wrote:
Rat is already carrying SIX journeymen and I don't know how many serious tackle-POMBers he has run into so far. He only has enough cash in the bank to cover one WD.

This is a pretty big issue. In ranked, I rarely play with more than two loners. When I do play with loners, it's often they who take the perms, due to lining up on the LOS. In box, coaches seem to ignore the loners and gun for the regulars. There is a lot more fouling, and an overall greater attempt to injure/perm players... both from my opponents, and now... myself. I've hired a dirty player to try to fight back somewhat.

koadah wrote:
Even so, personally I wouldn't bother replacing the tree when he dies. Calcium seemed to remove it easily enough.

I'm guessing we'll drop the tree at some point, but for now, he's a critical part of the team. The mighty blow, the ability to hold multiple players, the high AV. Treemen get a lot of flack for their 4+ stand up and take root... but they are great pieces.

Even with clawpomb, you probably shouldn't be able to take out the treeman three times in one game. I'm chalking it up to a bit of bad luck and going to see if he can hang in a while longer next time.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

Even with clawpomb, you probably shouldn't be able to take out the treeman three times in one game. I'm chalking it up to a bit of bad luck and going to see if he can hang in a while longer next time.

Some people might call it "good luck". Once is often enough Twisted Evil

Only one elf team made Top 30 last time out.

We're rooting for ya Rat Mr. Green

Jump to: