60 coaches online • Server time: 21:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Record the length of...goto Post 145 League and Tourn...goto Post killing by fun?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
xerode

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I've mentioned the tabletop league I'm playing in before. Last night I had a match (2-0 victory over Undead) and got 3 skill ups, and was looking for advice on what to go for!

Teamsheet:

My next opponents are another Orc team (made up of a Troll, 4 Blitzers, 4 Black Orcs, Line Orcs, no Gobbos).

The guys with new skills are:

• Kurz V'Annoy (Blitzer) - Guard? Frenzy? I was considering Strip Ball but I figure my opponent will be using a Thrower as his ball carrier, so Sure Hands negates that.
  • Chukka Grotnob (Thrower) - Fend, Kick-off Return or Safe Throw. I figure Fend might be the best choice because that works even when he doesn't have the ball, and as my main carrier I want to keep him safe.
  • Skarpa Mo (Gobbo) - Sidestep or Sure Feet. I use him as an emergency carrier, or try to put him somewhere where he could score next turn if my Thrower isn't in range of the endzone, but is in range of the Gobbo for a Hand-off. He only goes on the pitch when I'm receiving, I use the other Gobbo as an emergency defender when I'm kicking.

Thoughts and advice please! Smile
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

You really need to get some spp on those bobs. Normals or doubles or something else on the skill rolls?

Guard blitzer is good. Gobbo probably sidestep. If you protect the thrower no reason he'll need fend often, but not sure what's best for him to be honest.

I'd probably drop 1 gobbo and have had a linemen instead if it was possible. They may be fast but they squish too easily and need assist to sweep effectively.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
xerode

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

akaRenton wrote:
You really need to get some spp on those bobs.

Yeah I know, but I'm finding it hard to get them enough CAS in a 10-game league. My next game is game 8 of that, so I don't expect them to skill up really. They'll definitely go Guard and Mighty Blow if I'm lucky, one will tick over with another CAS and the other if he gets MVP.

Quote:
Normals or doubles or something else on the skill rolls?

All normal skills, annoyingly. I rolled 8 three times in a row.

Quote:
If you protect the thrower no reason he'll need fend often, but not sure what's best for him to be honest.

He's the most difficult one to pick for. I'm also considering Leader just for the cheap reroll but I've got 3 and don't always end up using them, so it'd just be a luxury.

Quote:
I'd probably drop 1 gobbo and have had a linemen instead if it was possible. They may be fast but they squish too easily and need assist to sweep effectively.

I like the flexibility of 2 Gobbos. One is the receiver or threatens with a score (which is why I like the idea of Safe Throw for the Thrower), the other I can use for fouling and not worry about being banned, as well as providing an assist nearly anywhere in my half.

Although I can afford another Line Orc, I'd be wary of buying one

• I'd have to paint it Wink
  • I'd be worried about bloat - most teams in the league are around 1350-1400TV and I'm on 1410 as it is. My Undead opponent last night gave me 260 in inducements, as I had a MNG player and he had a very bloaty team (16 players, 10 cheerleaders, 2 assistant coaches).
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

With the bobs i usually try and hand off to one of them for a td to get those first few all important spp, blitzers skill up pretty easy and can leave the bobs behind. Once you get block on all the bobs you should be good. Are you allowed to remove an rr in your league? Then you could go with leader on the thrower and reduce the TV significantly.

xerode

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

That's a really good idea, I'll have to start using that, thanks!

akaRenton wrote:
Are you allowed to remove an rr in your league? Then you could go with leader on the thrower and reduce the TV significantly.

Not sure. Wouldn't it only reduce the TV by 40?
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

40 can make a big difference although it doesn't seem much. It's one of the gobbos for free Very Happy

I used the bob hand off TD trick on this team, and it's working well spreading the tv around a bit so far.

Gartch

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I would choose:

Kurz V'Annoy (Blitzer): guard, you lack guard, but frenzy is a good idea too, I wouldn't take tackle now because you already have one and you have few skills on your teams. And I would certainly not take strip ball, for an orc team it will be hard to reach ball carrier (AG3+no dodge), and also very hard to pick the ball if you ever managed to get the ball on the floor (even with gobbos)

Chukka Grotnob (Thrower): I would choose Kick Off Return, except if you have no fast team in your league (but in this case I think playing with a thrower is really meh), in this case maybe leader (but 4 RR is too much, and having to play with your thrower on the pitch when opponent receive is not good imo)

Skarpa Mo (Gobbo): I would choose SS, sure feet for OTTD is too situational, SS then DT is better imo
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

This is pretty easy.

Blitzer- Piling On. How is there even a question here?

Thrower- Accurate. Fend is pointless, kick of return is meh, safe throw is a later skill if you really throw with him. Accurate will make him better for farming spp from passing if nothing else.

Gobbo- retire. Or sure feet.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Blitzer - PO
Thrower - Leader
Goblin - Diving Tackle
babass

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard
Leader
Sure Feet (or retire)
xerode

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for the advice!

Gartch wrote:
Chukka Grotnob (Thrower): I would choose Kick Off Return, except if you have no fast team in your league (but in this case I think playing with a thrower is really meh), in this case maybe leader (but 4 RR is too much, and having to play with your thrower on the pitch when opponent receive is not good imo)

Not sure I get this - are you saying Kick Off Return is a good choice if there's a fast team in my league? The remaining games are Orcs and Norse, plus one I don't know yet as one player dropped out and we need a replacement. Might be Nurgle.

Is Kick Off Return seen as a bad choice because it interferes with clock management or just because it's only used a few times a game? I guess if he's got Accurate I can always pass to the Gobbo, so hopefully that'd be 2+ then 3+, both with rerolls and then bring the Thrower into the back of the cage as play slows down.

Quote:
Skarpa Mo (Gobbo): I would choose SS, sure feet for OTTD is too situational, SS then DT is better imo

Sure Feet is so he's got a wider range with movement for assists or carrying the ball, not specifically for OTTD.

licker wrote:
Blitzer- Piling On. How is there even a question here?

I'm a bit wary of putting people on the floor for free, as this is quite a foul-heavy league. My Orc opponent doesn't have any Guard, so I think a second Guard will help me get more 2D blocks, as well as force 1D or 2D against for him.

licker wrote:
Thrower- Accurate. Fend is pointless, kick of return is meh, safe throw is a later skill if you really throw with him. Accurate will make him better for farming spp from passing if nothing else.

Ok I won't bother with Safe Throw. As there are only 2 games left to skill up in, I don't think I can get him to tick over into another skill.

Is Fend really that useless? I figure it can keep him out of harm's way a little, or force my opponent to use one of his two rerolls on the block.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard, Leader, Side step.

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

xerode wrote:
Is Kick Off Return seen as a bad choice because it interferes with clock management or just because it's only used a few times a game? I guess if he's got Accurate I can always pass to the Gobbo, so hopefully that'd be 2+ then 3+, both with rerolls and then bring the Thrower into the back of the cage as play slows down.

Okay AG3 throwers, orc in particular.

The problem: GP access doesn't have a lot of ball-handling skills that synergize with AG3.

AG3 throwers are often invaluable early in a team's development because many of them come with sure hands. We all know throwing is a bad strategy, generally speaking. This is true for elves who do it on a 2+, so it's even moreso for teams who do it on a 3.

So for our orc thrower, what options do we have on a single roll? Well, there's block of course. After that... well things sort of dwindle.

1) Block
2) Leader
3) Kick
4) Fend

Now, the only time I would really recommend taking kickoff return on an orc thrower is if you have one who is so good that he's worth the extra bloat. With the way I weight skills, this would only ever happen as a legend skill:

1) +ST
2) Block
3) Fend
4) Leader
5) Kick
6) Kickoff Return???

Fend isn't terrible on AG3 carriers. It's also not great either. What you want to see in the perfect world is a double for dodge and some +MA and +AG.
licker

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2015 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

POMB (follow with tackle naturally) is the combo you generally want on one (or more) players on any team that can naturally take it. Sure, vs. orcs you may prefer guard, but long term you'll want POMB. Fouling is not as good as it used to be, so unless your opponent(s) are running multiple dirty players I wouldn't worry about it. The guy is AV9, you don't PO where he's totally exposed to a gang foul, if they want to send in one guy to foul him vs. AV9... more power to them, you'll come out ahead more often than not.

If you really only have 2 games left with this team then your skill choices are completely dependent on matchups. If this team is coming back for another season then your skill selection should be more long term in nature. Here the difference between guard and PO is the speed with which the player will gain additional spp. Guard is a great skill, but POMB is a crushing combo against many teams. Less so against other AV9 sides, but still, when you do break armor and get the stun, PO lets you fish for the KO+.

That said, short term fend isn't going to help you win at all. Accurate probably would if you need to do some passing. Kick off return isn't terrible, but I'd take it after accurate while I was hoping for doubles or a stat.

Also, for very short term you might then consider sprint on the gobbo instead of sure feet. Ideally both are good on a one turner, but it depends on how you use him frankly, and if you find yourself needing TTMs a lot or not.
xerode

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

useful words

I'm not so keen on Leader, so does this mean I should add Kick to my list? Both that and Leader mean I'd have to keep my ball carrier on the pitch when I'm kicking, which I'm not a fan of.

licker wrote:
If you really only have 2 games left with this team then your skill choices are completely dependent on matchups. If this team is coming back for another season then your skill selection should be more long term in nature. Here the difference between guard and PO is the speed with which the player will gain additional spp. Guard is a great skill, but POMB is a crushing combo against many teams. Less so against other AV9 sides, but still, when you do break armor and get the stun, PO lets you fish for the KO+.

The 2 games comment was in regard to the number of games I'd have to skill up, there's 3 left in the season overall: Orcs, unknown and then Norse (with 2 STR5 Ulfwereners, ouch). This is why I think Guard might edge over PO for the last few games.

It's likely the season will continue, possibly next year, so I'll take the long-term value of PO into consideration.

I'm having 2 friendlies this week with Pro Elves and Necromantic, so will try out PO in one and Guard in the other and see how it works out.
 Jump to: