22 coaches online • Server time: 04:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum thread is for anything relating to Season 60 of the SWL.

Links:

Announcements:

• Divisional Structure
    1 Premier, 3 Conferences, 2 Regional.
  • Season Commencement
    First round will begin on or around Monday 8th June with a deadline 22nd June.
  • Axing
    PM to the swladmin FUMBBL account by 10pm Monday SWL (Sydney) time if your game has not yet been played. Check out the Guide for more information or check with someone else in chat. Refer to post below for more details about expectations. This is also the method for advising of parking at the end of a season.
  • General
    Please be aware that we rely on individual coaches to be active in checking this forum, arranging games against opponents (especially if not on east coast of Australia) and in communicating with Admins. The responsibility is on the coach to enquire, not the Admins to inform. Please feel free to ask any questions, anytime.
  • Trial of Blood
    Please be aware that the Trial of Blood is not a chance for teams to grow at the expense of competitive play. Play to win and keep the integrity of the SWL intact. If admins deem that a coach is not abiding by this then the team may have to retrial.

Rules to be brought in for Season 60:

• Parking:
    The following changes to Parking take affect from this season onwards.
    "Teams may park from active competition for a maximum of FOUR (4) seasons. This is a firm ruling, however SWL Admin will use their discretion as to the return of that team."
  • Promotion and Relegation:
    Due to the recent increase in numbers, and to encourage healthy competition, the following changes will be made:
    Premiership division - Top TWO (2) Teams remain, all others relegated to Conferences
    Conference divisions - Top TWO (2) Teams are promoted to Prem; Last places drop to Regionals (plus wildcard/s if needed for numbers)
    Regional divisions - Top TWO (2) Teams (at least) are promoted to Conferences.
    **Please note that some numbers in the lower divisions may be affected by parking, drafting/redrafting and dropping coaches**
  • Admin reserve the right to change the divisional structure and drafting team's TV/TW limit whenever it is deemed to be in the best interests of the league.

Commish's Comments:

• The number of active coaches plus the current changes to the divisional structure will necessitate two 'oversize' regionals this season (2 divisions of ~10 coaches). Please be aware that these divisions will still play a seven game season.
  • Have fun, bring the Fluff and get those games played (I love to hear the Axeman cry!)

Last edited by Luohghcra on Jun 06, 2015 - 13:33; edited 1 time in total
lolvenom

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't wait!
swladmin

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

This season I will be aiming to keep an up to date schedule for all Premier games.

Check here for your spectating needs Smile

Remember to bring your own half bricks for throwing. Not all Stadiums supply them for you.

Tomay

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay’s Season LX

Congratulations to Barre on winning another Prem title with the cheese dorfs (sp?). Also, congratulations to Error 404, Wings of the Condor and Autumn’s leaves on taking out their conferences.

Premier League

Look at all the elves! 3 Elf teams accompany the lizards and necro to battle it out against the big 3 rock teams (Orcs, Cheese dorfs x2). For what may be the last time we see 4 of last season’s top prem teams take another shot at a title. Looking at the makeup of the division, I expect these 4 to be amongst it again.

Dlock has proven himself worthy of a Prem title shot and has an excellent looking roster to have a crack. He is yet to prove himself in the big time which is the only thing working against him. A good mix of teams he can out elf and not TOO much bash might just see him home. With 12 players, a lot of coin, some crazy stat freaks and access to easy one turning I think he is poised to end the Wood Elves Premiership drought. Seriously though, look at this team, we need some more enforcers please.

Grumpsh has done very well with his Necro so far. However, I don’t know that he can be the first to take them to a title just yet. If he can beat Autumn’s leaves and get off to a good start, with a bit of luck you never know.

Intoxicated Mayhem are looking healthier, but a lack of reserves will make it hard for them to be consistent. I am tipping them to spoil someone’s shot at the Premiership though.

LHC are going to be there abouts again you would think on the back of their roster. As long as the bulls live and people allow Barre to utilise them freely they are dangerous. I just don’t think they will go back to back though, as there isn’t a whole lot of meat on those blockers yet.

I’d love to stop tipping Beefy but its hard. His team is bloating out a bit but still getting incredible value for that TV. I just don’t understand how he keeps missing the title, really? He’s a good coach with a broken team.

Slumbering Skink are probably the team most affected by the rule change as they are so consistent at finishing amongst the top. We know that Faulcon will eventually take advantage of repeated attempts at a title, but I don’t think he can do it this season with the strength of the other rosters.

Jevouse is the hot new talent on the block, coming from nowhere to enter Prem with an impressive 17/4/7 record. However, Prem virgins rarely do well and I don’t think this will be any different.

Relezite is in a similar situation to Jevouse, the only difference being that he was hyped on his re entry to SWL. He will be riding Viola hard and maybe, just maybe if he/she survives he can be in a position come round 7 to have a crack at the title.

So, with that in mind my predictions are:

My prediction (a repeat of last season)
1st- Malapropism Mania – Surely this time.
2nd – Autumn’s Leaves – A patient, intelligent season could get him there.
3rd – LHC – Cheesedorfs are always hard to pick against.

Butchranger’s Conference
This is an example of what happens when people insist on random draws. This is that could easily be mistaken for a Premiership division. Each coach has been to the big time before and a lot of these teams just look plain nasty. The winner of this division will be the one who gets lucky with the cas dice so it’s very open.

I really feel sorry for eganra and believe that if he was one of the more outspoken members we might see people finally realise that 100% random divisions are not ideal.

1st- Wonga Wonga – Balle won’t mind seeing all this claw and the lack of elves to punish his team, still they are fragile.
2nd – SWL Fun Police – will win some games by default and Semitence’s positioning issues won’t be exposed by the bash heavy division.
3rd – PSA – The roster is nicely slimmed and ready for a push towards a Prem run.

Blackwater Sting Conference

This is the fairest looking conference out of the three with the most traditional make up and mixture of teams. For mine, this makes for a much more interesting division as the diversity of opponents will test the coach’s roster building and game management abilities.

1st – Asha’maniac – the only dwarf team left in SWL. Redmaul will represent this season and take his team to Prem in the next.
2nd – Mexican Standoff – Smegish’s roster is looking great, even with some money in the kitty. This team should be able to sneak a few victories in on elfballing craziness.
3rd – Wanja Warriors – This is a better division for DDS so its now where we will see where he really stands with an established orc team in SWL.

Harlequins of Despair Conference
Unlike the Butchranger’s Conference this one could be mistaken for a regional division (with a few exceptions of course). Again this is why I am not a fan of 100% random draws. The two Prem teams from last season will dominate the field in this one you’d think, perhaps with Edamame Diet weighing into the equation.

1st – SWL Hunting Crocs – The bashiest team of the division, Bobs should be able to prey on the other teams here.
2nd – Sotek Sacred Spawning – They love conferences and should see this one as a cakewalk.
3rd – Edamame Diet – This is the best shot PJJ will get at taking out a Conferece and the lack of tackle could see him finish anywhere in the top 3. However, a few injuries are weighing the team down.

Regionals
A spluttering of newbies, a few continuers from last season and a few demoted Conference teams make up an interesting 2 divisions of regionals this season. Competition for promotion will be fierce, goodluck!

Last edited by Tomay on Jun 09, 2015 - 07:10; edited 1 time in total
Semitence

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Season 60 Previews & Predictions

The mix of teams in Prem this season is the stuff of wet dreams. A great mix with the three elven teams all on their first trip to Prem, the Cheesedorfs and Intoxicated Mayhem bringing the hurt, and Slumbering Skink & Error 404 somewhere in the middle.

Grumpsh has had a solid start to SWL and picked up a pair of almost perfect wolves to compliment his team. He is probably missing a tackle, a second DP and block on the new Flesh Golem. Having said that, he has been managing 50+ blocks a game down in conferences so it will be interesting to see if he can keep it up in a tougher environment, with some proper bash on the other side, and some more highly skilled elven teams.

I love assassins. I also love that they are going to be effective in 6 of 7 matches (not much good against AV9 orcs). Steaked are very competently coached, but I think that the lack of a treasury, and only 11 players, 5 of which have AV7 might make things difficult throughout the season. Only having one guard will also hurt vs the big boys of the league.

LHC have two players with a combined 685 SPP between them. Barre is going to ride those quadrupeds to another title unless the other teams manage to take them out of the game in some way or another. Although the blockers aren't skilled up very much, Englert & Brout only really require an efficient TV support cast to help them along here.

Faulcon is always a threat. Look for him to fall behind in the schedule, and take advantage of his opponents falling asleep waiting for him to finish his turns. He has picked up a +AG on a SF/Sprint skink, and the Saurus are all looking in good shape. Apart from Tssckl, they all have at least 60 SPP each... Opponents should take care of a late game Shnshz blitz through tackle zones on to their ball carrier.

Intoxicated Mayhem used to have the most beastly roster in the SWL. Unfortunately for Erickan I think they are possibly a little past their prime. after losing some key players in seasons past, and struggling to replace the Black Orcs. Having said that, now down to 11 players they are a lot leaner than the TV2600 team that used to prowl the upper echelons of the SWL. Look out for the round 6 match between Faulcon & Erickan. If anyone has a spare four and a half hours I can heartily recommend watching the game.

Lady Maple Leaf has finally made it prem. Autumn's Leaves is a solid WE team with a OTT scoring machine, some excellent two-way catchers, a utility thrower and so on. Dlock is missing some kick, and it is his first time to the big show, but somehow has a huge treasury (I didn't know Wood Elves were allowed to have that much cash) and the team is certainly looking the goods.

The last of the Elves to make it this season are the Wings of the Condor. This is a team with huge potential, but if it has to play without either of Viola or Pangryff is going to get mauled. Relezite is going to need to protect them and pray to Nuffle to stop the curse of the Elves (1 RR 1) if he is going to make it this season. Good luck.

Beefy. Could you go ahead and win a title with that travesty already?

Who is going to win? I've got it down as a Cheesedorf 1-2. Autumn's Leaves are and Error 404 are my outside chances to take it away. As good as Faulcon's roster is, we can't start backing him.
1. Malapropism Mania
2. Large Head-On Colliders

Butchrangers Conference

This is where the big boys come out to play. I'll echo Tomay's thoughts (shudder) that this is basically a Prem division in the guise of a conference. All coaches are Prem certified, and there will be some really good matches this season.

Rabid is on a serious rebuild after copping some big losses last season, but will win at least one game as he always manages to completely outplay me. Actually, he will probably win most of them due to just being good at the damn game.

Irgy's warriors still need some work here to contend, so will probably be in survival mode for most game.

The Spelling Orcs are a long way from ready but Dazedmw is a coach with some serious clout, and will be going for the wins.

Joe has been lacking a bit of form of late, but could run circles around the slower teams this season. Every time I look at his team he has lost a solid player, but managed to develop another that is just as good.

I'll probably forget to do things like "pick up the ball" and "score". n.b. Tomay: Foul Frank would also like to note that lying down on top of the opposition is not being out of position, that is exactly where he wants to be.

PSA are a completely different force to the team that took out prem back to back. Daudy has a really good positioning game, so I'd like to think that the rookie Warriors may actually help him be leaner as he doesn't tend to rely on them as heavily as other chaos coaches. He'll also benefit from Thavia Bitterblood not being around.

B2K still has flippers, so he'll still manage a few ridiculous winning plays. He has his 4 big stars, and a decent enough support cast so look to these guys to be up there.

Psych Lab are on the rebuild. Eganra has been thrown to the wolves again after the infamous Blackbox Division of Season LVII. He is going to need to be careful not to lose too many players this season going for the wins as it has taken him a few seasons to get back on track and isn't going to want to have to do it all over again.

It's always hard to go past B2K. He knows his team inside out, and is definitely the man to beat this season. Second place is up for grabs between JoeKano, Daudy and Rabid. Joe definitely has the team advantage here, it's up to him to put them to work!

1. Wonga Wonga Whalekillers
2. Horrors of Skye

Blackwater Sting Conference

A good mix of teams here, the more established teams should be able to pull away.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that the sole goal of Asha'Maniac is to surf at least half the opposition players each games, and with Dame Flinn and Jur Grady leading the way, you'd not be wrong. This is a serious team, with some excellent stat-ups wtih 3 x +AG, 2 on blitzers, 1 on a runner, both Troll Slayers being +ST as well as another ST & MA upgrade. They have plenty of guard and cash to do it this season.

The Griffon Gate Sentinels were oh-so-close to making it to Prem but fell short at the final hurdle. Make no mistake, they will score. Their biggest issue is going to be defending drives once Iolas goes down. Needs cash and skills fast.

Everybody's favourite rockstars, the Sphinxes will provide some entertaining matches, especially against the division favourites. I think they will struggle to keep the faster teams from scoring this season.

Taketheskull is nowhere near ready this time around. He'll have some fun with the big guys, but those marauders are sorely missing some skills.

What do you get when Gutter Runners all decide to chow down on warpstone and roll up a bunch of +ST? The rodents are my wildcard for the season. If redgum keeps Dan & Fred alive he is going to be a major PITA for the heavy hitters to put away.

The Wana Warriors decided they couldn't match the bash with push, and have converted to the dark side. Where the rats roll for ST, the blitzers have obviously been taking additional team training with the Darkstar Corsairs with 3 +AG blitzers kicking off the roster. Very nice (and we're very jealous).

Freezy Trees are going to be somewhere in the middle I feel. Will struggle vs the top guys, but should have it over those teams that are still building.

The Mexican Standoff are playing with more injuries than the Cavaliers this season having taken a battering and a bruising after "winning" the playoff match last season. I'm not sure if Smegish will push on with the somewhat bloated & crippled roster, or start to rebuild.

Barring something unforseen, you can lock these in.

1. Asha'Maniac
2. Wana Warriors

Harlequins of Despair Regionals/Conference/Tomay's feeding ground

This is what happens when you allow a picker to set up the conferences. Enough said.

I don't know what to make of Edamame. 2 seasons ago that roster was looking top notch, but it hasn't gone anywhere since then, and it's picked up injuries to boot. Pjj will doing a jig that he has avoided the tackle heavy teams for once though.

The BullFrogs picked up a number of wins last season, but from watching, it never seemed to be in a comfortable fashion. Fynmore will need to tighten up his play if he wants to compete as he will not be able to get away with as many positional errors. The fresh out regional teams are still looking quite underdone.

Toonie has developed his squad nicely, but is still desperately after some cash after having to start the season with a bunch of loners after the Blackwatergate ToB scandal.

Heretek is going to be leaning all over those lovely +ST blitzers. It's a real shame that Paeroa has picked up a -AG. A Dark Elf team could probably carry the injury, but only having two Blitzers means this is a big strain on how agressive he can be in turning over the ball.

Wood Elves can always play for the win, but no support skills on the Snowleopards will mean they are going to struggle to pick up enough wins to get all the way through.

The Cocksville Blockers talk the big talk, but when it comes to the crunch they avoid games against long term rivals in the ToB, picking on newbies. They manage to go 7-0-0 in the regional division of their choosing and now they just happen to find themselves in the softest conference division to ever exist in the SWL. Despite all this, they still aren't going to be able to get themselves promoted.

The two lizardmen teams should go 1-2 here. Bobs has the better team and the timezone advantage so he is my tip over Tyra "likes to make 6+ dodges into tacklezone/forgets to blitz the ball carrier" Nid.

1. SWL Hunting Crocs
2. Sotek Sacred Spawning

Regionals:

No idea. Some newbies fighting for wins, some oldies trying to maul them. Good luck have fun, foul all menz.

Last edited by Semitence on Jun 09, 2015 - 09:26; edited 2 times in total
lolvenom

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Reserved?
Smegish

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Tomay is likely reserving that spot for his Season Preview or some such. Dunno what Semitence is reserving it for... possibly just taking the piss.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah your right. Tomay should probrably reserve one for rebuttal. I don't know if this is the right place to express some slight displeasure in the changes to prem relegation. I'm pretty much committed to relegation now as i feel a good season this season would put me in 3rd or 4th position and in a place to go for the title the season after. Now i will drop to conf build and hope to be ready for the prem in season 62
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

It could indeed make things difficult. I think having the top 4 remain is Ok.

Still. Will see how it goes.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a shame that we now have a system where potentially you are better off holding in Conferences and timing your run to peak in Prem. As Tomay has said in the past, its extremely hard to win the gong in your first season in Prem and as such most newly promoted teams will be looking at going straight back down.

Looking at my team if I promote from Conferences this coming season I'll be underdone for Prem and would likely be relegated. So my options are an easier season and then a harder one and being back in Conferences or taking two seasons to build, not get promoted early and then having a better shot at a title. I don't think a system that encourages that sort of thinking is the best one.

Another thing that occurs to me is that the two that stay up from this season may have a big advantage in subsequent seasons. Say Beefy and Barre stay up after finishing top two again, whoever comes up is unlikely to match the power of Faulcon and Erickan's circa 2200TV teams and therefore Prem will be weaker overall.

I think my preferred system would be to promote the Conference winners and relegate the bottom three coaches from Prem. Then have the three Conference second place teams play off against Spots 3 to 5 in Prem. Gives the chance of turnover if its required but doesn't mean you could end up with a weaker Prem than Conference level (extreme case but possible).

Anyway, I don't think anything will change for LX. Just my thoughts for the future.
polemarch

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 04:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I am sure that the RocketVamps will never make Prem so this is all a mute point from my teams perspective.

Just remember that SWL is the largest it has ever been with the most coaches and diversity of teams and experience. SWL has undergone some changes in the past around how you get into and out of Prem. So lets see how this season goes.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 05:10 Reply with quote Back to top

polemarch wrote:
Well I am sure that the RocketVamps will never make Prem so this is all a mute point from my teams perspective.

Just remember that SWL is the largest it has ever been with the most coaches and diversity of teams and experience. SWL has undergone some changes in the past around how you get into and out of Prem. So lets see how this season goes.

I mean how are they not ruling the world after 26 games?

Calling it now - Prem within 5 seasons.

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think a wider buffer in prem leads to more draws. Perhaps a lottery system, where the number of retained spots is determined and announced at the beginning or middle of each season, ranging from 2-4.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 06:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Dazedmw wrote:
I think my preferred system would be to promote the Conference winners and relegate the bottom three coaches from Prem. Then have the three Conference second place teams play off against Spots 3 to 5 in Prem. Gives the chance of turnover if its required but doesn't mean you could end up with a weaker Prem than Conference level (extreme case but possible).

I like this idea.
Foad

Post   Posted: Jun 07, 2015 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
Dazedmw wrote:

I like this idea.

This idea seems to solve many problems... Perhaps for LXI?

Jump to: