20 coaches online • Server time: 08:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys. Been away from Fumbbl for awhile but I really want to get back into it. I want to play in an organized, scheduled league, 1x time a week league (maybe more times a week) but the problem is, I live in the boondocks and it is impossible to get a reliable connection from home, so the only chance I get to play is during my lunch hour at work. Anyone know of any such league, or interested in starting one? Thanks!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Noon Central US time? That's 7pm Central European time. You can probably find a European league to join, no?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

what jackass just said...Smile

A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make -- Gary Gygax
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

That should be a prime blackbox time. Just saying....

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say no, it sounds too unreliable. Your best bet is to stick to the open divisions until you have a reliable connection.
Roland

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26748

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26692&highlight=
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all your answers, I guess my ugly American was showing and forgot all about Europe. bghandras, I'm still a newb and Blackbox scares me. The problem I'm finding with open divisions is since can only play at noon, I end up playing only about 1/3 of the people in the division, and I'm at a disadvantage in first across the finish types (not that I mind, it's a self-inflicted disadvantage). I just want to play something other than match-making.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Come up with a good theme, and start a Nooner-League. I'll join.

I am in US Central time & I usually play Box during this time. I wouldn't mind a cool Noon League, especially if it has a fun, or unique theme.
albinv

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I didnt play box for quite awhile due to the reputation or "myths" around it.
Just as quite some newbs do. So i can actually fully relate to it. Nowadays i have played way more Box games than Ranked ones. I quickly found out i was wrong and formed my "opinion" solely around forum myths.

Its really far from what most beginners imagine it to be. Sure bash teams dominate and agile teams have a harder time in the long run solely due to that. But clawpomb will mostly happen at higher TV (above 1500) so that can be avoided. Bottom line: many beginners get picked in R playing uphill matches without realizing it.

I doubt Box would be a completely frustrating experiences without chances.
There is nothing to lose giving Box a try, more likely most people will be surprised how wrong their impression was and be happy to have found a way more effective and enjoyable way to arrange a match of BB.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

embrace the blackbox

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

avoid League unless you can be reliable.

otherwise you'll just piss people off Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

If you host the League expressly stating the games run from 12:00 - 13:00 CST, to be continued if time is exceeded, there should be no problem.

BUT...

As previously stated, the Box, especially at low TV is nothing to fear. There is a healthy mix of coaching level & team diversity. However; starting a game in the Box you can't finish, might get you in trouble.
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I can always finish games that I start, as long as my opponent doesn't go afk for an hour to eat dinner (which has happened numerous times to me.) I think next week I'll just jump head first into box and see what happens.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Good plan!

Also, I've played more Box than anyone, and the majority of my games are 30-45 minutes.
JohnnyFeyev

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2015 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Bill, that might just be my problem. My turns on average last about 45 seconds. Need more thinky, less do-y.
 Jump to: