21 coaches online • Server time: 02:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post killing by fun?goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Throweck

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I had an idea for a league.

Basically it's an open league where coaches create their own stable of 3/4 coaches. Each coach has one team. Play against as many opponents as you like in a months period. Stable with the most points at the end wins a trophy/logo/etc.

Each stable could have a theme if wanted. What a great place for a 'Team Fantastic' bash heavy stable. What about an all elf stable? Or a fling stable? etc. This opens it up for fluff and smack talk. A league stable perhaps (WIBBL stable, OBBA stable, etc.)

Just wondered what people's thoughts were before I invest some time in prepping it. Do people have other coaches that they would want to buy into this? Or 'single' coaches could be adopted into a stable that's short of members.

So...

How big should the stables be and is it a goer?

Cheers

Throweck
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea a lot but I don't like having to play in a league and schedule games.

with that said, I'd say 3-5 coaches is a good amount. Easier to track.
Seventyone

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be interested. GRIND stable?

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers mrt1212. Just to clarify, do you mean you don't like having to schedule games yourself in a league or you don't like playing schedule games?

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:
I'd be interested. GRIND stable?

Yep, that kind of stuff. Trying to link different areas of fumbbl could be fun.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
cheers mrt1212. Just to clarify, do you mean you don't like having to schedule games yourself in a league or you don't like playing schedule games?

being in the black hole of time zones known as -8 GMT, the few times I've had to schedule games for DOTP or for Brawls/Smacks/XFL, I've wound up having to play at work during lunch.

Its both kind of - I hate the negotiation of a time because ultimately this is a hobby that doesn't take precedent over other stuff in my life and because when I finally do negotiate a time that works for my opponent it's not at a time that will allow me to be a good opponent to the other coach.

In a bigger picture, what do you think the absolute minimum number of coaches would be for this league to be successful? I'd say 32 is a good starting point with 4 people per stable and a few alternates just in case. You'd probably want to ensure a psuedo-robin format like the NFL has.
Patator

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it too. Some kind of clan wars Smile
Throweck

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Initially I just had open format. That way there (hopefully) should be enough teams to play at various times. Fingers crossed you could pick a game up at some point in your time zones. I know how limited it is for you as we have been drawn when I have been up crazy times in the morning. I would agree that 4 coaches per stable would be good so that would be a minimum of 8 stables. That would require a lot of interest to begin with but do-able.

The idea was to be able to hopefully pick up games when R and B were slow of if people were in the mood for something a little different.

A little like 145 club organises their games. Message thread or straight pms.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
Initially I just had open format. That way there (hopefully) should be enough teams to play at various times. Fingers crossed you could pick a game up at some point in your time zones. I know how limited it is for you as we have been drawn when I have been up crazy times in the morning. I would agree that 4 coaches per stable would be good so that would be a minimum of 8 stables. That would require a lot of interest to begin with but do-able.

The idea was to be able to hopefully pick up games when R and B were slow of if people were in the mood for something a little different.

A little like 145 club organises their games. Message thread or straight pms.

That's a good point - this would be a fun and inspiring way to do pickup games and also maybe...relieve some tension? Call out one of those forum loudmouths such as myself and give them what for.
Throweck

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks mrt1212. I'll give it a couple of days and then come up with a more solid format.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 20:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think in open format you'd need to have a scoring system not dependent on games played. Something like best 20 results min 1 per coach for example.
Throweck

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I think in open format you'd need to have a scoring system not dependent on games played. Something like best 20 results min 1 per coach for example.

Yeah good point. I think the scoring system would need to be well thought out.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/help:StableCoaches
Throweck

Post   Posted: May 29, 2015 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
https://fumbbl.com/help:StableCoaches

Ahem...yes something like that.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 30, 2015 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The simplest thing would be for mrt1212 to move to the East Coast. Even better move to Europe.

Jump to: