23 coaches online • Server time: 07:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

So after abandoning Blackbox almost two years ago, I've heard things have changed. Rather than sit and ignorantly cast stones at the box coaches, I decided to take them up on their offer... and play 20 games of blackbox and see if my pre-conceived notions about the box, and its coaches are true.

The Team
I decided on Wood Elves for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I'm pretty good with woodies, although by CR they are actually my worst of the four elf teams. Secondly, I'm assuming there won't be a ton of tackle or sure hands in the box, and I think I can get some favorable matchups with blodge and strip ball. Lastly, I really like having a treeman against bash, and we're expecting a good amount of bash. We start with both wardancers, the treeman, and a catcher. This leaves us with just one reroll, so the first few games will be chancey.

Game One - Eternal Greenskins Champions - Orcs - JohnDaker - Star (158.75)

Well, we didn't really want to see Orcs. Wood Elves match up really well against just about any rookie team, except Orcs. Four Block, sure hands, St4... it's a nightmare matchup for any rookie Wood Elf team. The only consolation is that his sure hands doesn't mean anything, because we don't have strip ball. This isn't his first game, he's got a MNG blitzer and is able to hire a merc goblin.

Result - 2-1 Elves

First-turn blitz ends up with the ball in a wardancer's hands. Touchdown. The next drive doesn't go much better, and the same wardancer scores again to end the first half. The elves stall for a while in the second half, but fail to score. Damage was done, and all the orcs can do is score a pride touchdown.

Casualties: -AG lineman, retired
Skills: Wardancer, Strip Ball

Game Two - HokusPokus - Goblins - iena - Super Star (160.27)
We manage to afford an apothcary after the first game, but continue with just the one reroll. We're pretty happy to see goblins game 2.

Result - 5-1 Elves

Game goes as you would expect elves vs goblins would, except the elves get three blitzes. We lay 10spp on each wardancer and move on.

Casualties: None
Skills: SB WD = Tackle. Rookie WD = Mighty Blow

Game Three - Lammer Hammers - Chaos Dwarf - strikereternal - Super Star (163.9x)
With the second reroll now purchased, we push up to 1150tv. Team three is chaos dwarves with a guard blocker and a block bull. No minotaur.

Result: 2-0 Elves

Again we start the game with a blitz, and although the CDs recover the ball, our shiny new MB blitzer and the tree do their thing and we're ahead by two players after two turns. The CDs get pretty badly diced in this one, and I'd be upset if I were the other coach.

Skills: MB WD = Tackle. Two Block Linemen

Game Four - Prendisole - iena - Super Star (161.1x)

It's the revenge of the greenskins as we meet the goblin coach we beat 5-1 on his orc team. Our elves are up to 1250tv, and have to face 1410 Orcs with a couple of mighty blow and two block BOBs.

Result: 1-0 Orcs

Wizard stalls the orc opening drive, but the elves falter in the second half. An orc blitzer pows a wardancer on the 2 yard line and the orcs come back from a really poor position to win 1-0.

Skills: None

Game Five - Walkers Dead - Nurgle - bladten - Emerging Star (151.04)
Nurgle is next on the menu, and these come packing 3 block warriors, one with mighty blow. Guard on the beast and block on one of the pestigors round out the team.

Result: 1-0 Elves

The elves pressure the Nurgle drive the whole first half, but can't run away with the ball. The nurgle can't make it to the endzone though, and the elves get the ball to start the second half with 8 players. Even a turn one rooted tree can't stop the elf drive though, and blodge keeps the wardancer ballcarrier upright long enough to eke out a 1-0 win.

Casualties: -MA lineman

Last edited by Rat_Salat on %b %04, %2015 - %04:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
pubstar

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 03:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I've always thought that blitz with/against a fast/agile team was one of the most unbalanced single events in the game, but from the information you've provided, I would put the games into 3 buckets:

Games with a blitz: 2 (2-0)
Normal games: 2 (1-1)
Games against goblins: 1 (Who cares)

It's an interesting project that will become substantially more interesting with more matches played.

huff

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Summary of the next 5 commin? Interesting read. Well done.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Game Six - Les Hyènes du Mont - Dark Elf - Triton - Veteran (149.51)
Elfball lives in the box! Well... if you consider DE proper elves. This one features an AG5 blodge blitzer with mighty blow, a blodge tackle blitzer, a blodge blitzer, a kicker, and a wrestle lineman. We're outclassed and outgunned, but we DO have tackle on our mighty blow and he does not.

Result - 2-1 Wood Elves

The woodies force a turn 3 touchdown from the Dark Elves, and get to work applying mighty blow in some hot elf on elf action. The Darkies are left with only 3 players on the pitch from fouls and hits, and never see the ball again in a 2-1 Wood Elf grind.

Casualties: Catcher RIP; niggled lineman, retired
Skills: Treeman = grab. Bought thrower

Game Seven - yo the matho - Orcs - JohnKsena - Super Star (163.07)
Man. Orcs again? Fortunately they are 60tv down this time instead of 160 up. Still, they come equipped with an AG4 sure hands ball carrier, two mighty blow blitzers (one with blodge), a guard troll, a sidestepping BOB, and a block BOB. We're badly outclassed and outgunned.

Result - 2-0 Orcs

Not much to say here. The woodies finish up with two elves on the pitch, opponent trash talking the whole way. Not an enjoyable match.

Casualties: -MA SB/T Wardancer, retired. Loner RIP

Game Eight - English Nurgle - Nurgle - Ohwatch - Star (158.83)
More nurgle, this time with no beast. Two block pestigors (one niggled), one dodge pestigor, a block warrior, and two block rotters. Anytime you bring more mighty blow with elves than the bash team does...

Result: 2-0 Elves

The treeman is a nurgle magnet and stands tall in the middle of the pitch with three opponents around him. The remaining elves swarm the ball and despite some nice positioning and play by Ohwatch, the outcome is inevitable. The elves go into the second half up 1-0. A seven-turn elfstall closes out the game, and Ohwatch was pretty unimpressed. Good coach, bad team, worse matchup.

Skills: Rookie WD = strip ball, Block Lineman = Blodge

Game Nine - Into Infinite Obscurity - Chaos - gustavdore - Emerging Star (150.03)
Wood Elves feed on underdeveloped bash teams, and we meet another one here. Two block warriors, three block beastmen and another with block/tackle. Well, he has tackle at least...

Result: 3-0 Elves

The elves take the ball to start, and our MB wardancer badly hurts two beastmen in quick succession. The elves smell blood after KOing a warrior, and score quickly to get back on defense. A second touchdown ends up with things 2-0 at the half. Strong elf dice lead to a second turnover, and a third defensive touchdown. We leave the chaos coach a bit demoralized.

Casualties: Thrower = RIP
Skills: SB Wardancer = +MA

Game Ten - 'Roid Rage [B]abes - Chaos - Calcium - Star (154.21)
Oh boy... here comes the spam. Our now 1320tv wood elves are matched up against Calcium's 1450tv facerolling chaos, fresh off an apparent haircut and down to only two killers. Still, he brings a Jump Up killer Warrior, a wrestle/guard killer beastman, an +AG sure hands block tackle mighty blow beastman, a piling on/jump up beastman, a dirty player, and a mighty blow warrior. Two babes are small consolation.

Result: 1-1 Draw

Calcium took a while to show up for this one, and I think we had about 16 spectators at peak. Bit of a grudge match, and my opponent was in no mood to be nice. A thrown rock on the kickoff leave him in a bad spot, with too many players hugging that delicious tree. Still, he manages a turn-one -MA, which the apothecary attends to. The elves look to pin the chaos deep in their own half, but a handoff lets the killers turn the table, and they surf one wardancer and foul out another on turn 4. Unfortunately, the chaos are carrying with a rookie chaos warrior, presumably to use the tackle beastman as a hitter. This comes back to haunt them, as a bothdown block by the carrier results in a turnover and near score. First half ends uneventfully, albiet with an intermission for my opponent to compose himself.

Second half, the elves get both wardancers back, thanks to their bloodweiser babes. The plan was to stall out the whole half, but after killers take out two elves in quick succession, two more leave the pitch via foul and tripping. After the tree goes down for a second time, it's time to score. with five elves out and three turns remaining, the chaos connect with a rookie beastman for the tying points on turn 8.

Casualties: Lineman niggled, retired
Skills: Lineman = dirty player

Last edited by Rat_Salat on %b %04, %2015 - %04:%Jun; edited 2 times in total
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 03:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't see this.

But looking at the teams, you either had bad luck, or played poorly. I think a rookie wood coach would have won this 4-1.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
I didn't see this.

But looking at the teams, you either had bad luck, or played poorly. I think a rookie wood coach would have won this 4-1.

Which game, bill?

pubstar wrote:
I've always thought that blitz with/against a fast/agile team was one of the most unbalanced single events in the game, but from the information you've provided, I would put the games into 3 buckets:

Games with a blitz: 2 (2-0)
Normal games: 2 (1-1)
Games against goblins: 1 (Who cares)

It's an interesting project that will become substantially more interesting with more matches played.

Well this is a lot less about what my team does and more about what teams I am playing against. It's not a brag thread, it's my story of my return to box.

Also, numbers can say whatever you want them to say. You could easily say that the team is 1-2 against orcs and 6-0-1 against everyone else. I've noted the blitzes, and games where dice or lucky removals were a factor.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting to read, though probably should be a blog. Doesn't look like your matchups have been too bad overall so far.
It is always good to see match reports, bar ones just with a sentence complaining of rolls. I find reports are not only good for interest/amusement but partly also they can be good to have a quick look back on if you are about to play someone you have played previously.
I would love it if more opponents did reports but it all takes time..

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 04:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I was referring to the Calcium matchup. He didn't really have anything for woodies to fear.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno... surehands/ag4 and two killers isn't exactly fun when you've got 5 loners. Did my best, but he made the turn 8 touchdown pass.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
I dunno... surehands/ag4 and two killers isn't exactly fun when you've got 5 loners. Did my best, but he made the turn 8 touchdown pass.

we were laughing our asses off when that happened
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:

We must tell markor that! Very Happy
By the way, entertaining match reports, welcome back to the Box!
Never give up with your Wood Elves! Very Happy
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

4+ 3+ with no reroll... what you gonna do?

Works a third of the time I guess.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

Yes, 33.33 % success chance.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats on rejoining the box! Definitely enjoyed the reads
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2015 - 06:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Rat_Salat wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

That's the hardest thing to appreciate about this game sometimes - unlikely events happen and are absolutely part of the game and can sometimes seemingly make a mockery of the preceding turns played.

I've kept my sanity by rooting for longshots to pull through - they hit just often enough to be delightful no matter the side I'm on.
 Jump to: