32 coaches online • Server time: 10:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fidius

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

You know, we complain about the rules, and we all know the incentives, but at the end of the day the Box's high-TV problems are caused by the behaviour of only a few coaches who activate a lot. Legends playing exclusively high-TV bash are parasites: win-at-all-costs, sore-losing, damn-you-and-your-fun, centre-of-my-universe parasites. The thing to do to protect the site (meaning playerbase) is to police these few actors. As long as the incentives exist, it's the only answer. It's obvious who they are, and it's mainly a problem in NA evenings, because the bad actors tend to be North Americans, or European vampires. ("Location not disclosed" is often a giveaway as well.)

Sometimes I think the issue never gets addressed simply because Europe peak has always been mostly healthy, and NA is out of sight, out of mind. Other times I think Box is this way on purpose - we feel the need to give the parasites somewhere to play for some reason. I don't agree with this thinking.

[Edit: This came off more forcefully than I intended, so to anyone like mdd31 who took it personally I apologize. It was directed at only a very few coaches -- please read the first part of the second sentence carefully. I do however think it's important they be made aware how their behaviour affects the community (especially newer players), so if it took a forceful statement to make the point, and to discourage other players from adopting their approach, so be it.]

Last edited by fidius on %b %11, %2015 - %20:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
mdd31

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:
You know, we complain about the rules, and we all know the incentives, but at the end of the day the Box's high-TV problems are caused by the behaviour of only a few coaches who activate a lot. Legends playing exclusively high-TV bash are parasites: win-at-all-costs, sore-losing, damn-you-and-your-fun, centre-of-my-universe parasites. The thing to do to protect the site (meaning playerbase) is to police these few actors. As long as the incentives exist, it's the only answer. It's obvious who they are, and it's mainly a problem in NA evenings, because the bad actors tend to be North Americans, or European vampires. ("Location not disclosed" is often a giveaway as well.)

Sometimes I think the issue never gets addressed simply because Europe peak has always been mostly healthy, and NA is out of sight, out of mind. Other times I think Box is this way on purpose - we feel the need to give the parasites somewhere to play for some reason. I don't agree with this thinking.

WOW.

Could you be a little more discriminating and stereotyping of people??? Sure hope you are not someone of influence around here or anyone with a NA IP address might soon find themselves unable to log on as you disable access to everyone you see as a "parasite".

There are many ways to play this game, just because you don't like some of them do not make them wrong or the people involved bad people or as you say parasites.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

mdd31 wrote:
fidius wrote:

WOW.

Could you be a little more discriminating and stereotyping of people??? Sure hope you are not someone of influence around here or anyone with a NA IP address might soon find themselves unable to log on as you disable access to everyone you see as a "parasite".

There are many ways to play this game, just because you don't like some of them do not make them wrong or the people involved bad people or as you say parasites.

You play in an anti-social way, you reap anti-social rewards.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The box is not conducive to playing much other than resilient teams over a long period of time, because of the heavy penalties associated with recovery.

If my Nurgle have a bad couple of games, they have cash and regen, so they can take the damage and repair.

When my Wood Elves took damage, they had no cash, but because of the 15/30 game rule, they were matched against much higher teams, because they are a 300 game old team (even though the oldest player on the roster is 7 matches).

If you want coaches to play other races over a long period of time, you need to remove the barriers that have been placed in their way.

Of course, the rule was brought in because of one min-max coach who was abusing new teams, but the damage of the fix has damaged old fragile teams, who now have a difficult time recovering.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

The Law of unexpected consequences always does it's magic.

Well put Duke.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lead by example. If you want more diversity, be more diverse.

Last edited by BillBrasky on %b %09, %2015 - %20:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
mdd31 wrote:
fidius wrote:

WOW.

oo, are they cookies?

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Though some people would whine about fouling & stalling.

BillBrasky wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lead by example. If you want more diversity, be more diverse.

How is that working?

Last edited by koadah on %b %09, %2015 - %20:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
The box is not conducive to playing much other than resilient teams over a long period of time, because of the heavy penalties associated with recovery.

If my Nurgle have a bad couple of games, they have cash and regen, so they can take the damage and repair.

When my Wood Elves took damage, they had no cash, but because of the 15/30 game rule, they were matched against much higher teams, because they are a 300 game old team (even though the oldest player on the roster is 7 matches).

If you want coaches to play other races over a long period of time, you need to remove the barriers that have been placed in their way.

Of course, the rule was brought in because of one min-max coach who was abusing new teams, but the damage of the fix has damaged old fragile teams, who now have a difficult time recovering.

indeed. should just have banned the one unmentioned coach. instead the whole system got distorted.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
How is that working?

Nowadays you're more likely to draw one of Bills Helf/Welf/Delf teams than you are of drawing the one high tv basher.

Even before WMD's got stuck in the FC; )
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:

Wasn't it suggested at some point to change the 30 game team age to actually looking at the oldest player (or players) age instead?

I kind of liked that suggestion to keep the min/max issue at bay, but still make rebuilding with squishy teams actually doable.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Timetis wrote:
koadah wrote:
How is that working?

Nowadays you're more likely to draw one of Bills Helf/Welf/Delf teams than you are of drawing the one high tv basher.

Even before WMD's got stuck in the FC; )

Are people following suit?

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

Wasn't it suggested at some point to change the 30 game team age to actually looking at the oldest player (or players) age instead?

I kind of liked that suggestion to keep the min/max issue at bay, but still make rebuilding with squishy teams actually doable.

I don't remember that, but it is a very good idea.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Are people following suit?

Aah, you meant it in that way.

Nope - seems like bb2 has drawn in more chaos teams: )
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The SoB have also had a three game run of same coach, same team draws. Mrt1212's Jumbo Franks and Weenies BBL (with one of those games including a glorious 5 cas 11 foul rampage). Does this mean mrt1212 is ruining diversity in the box with his Ogres? Or is it me with my humans?

Join the Human League Premiership!
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2015 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

You should both feel ashamed!