51 coaches online • Server time: 21:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2015 - 21:58
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I’m really excited about the Aussie Team Champs being held in Christchurch next year and fully intend to fly down for it. The concept of playing alongside friends, and representing city/state/whatever really appeals to me. So, how about an online team tournament in a similar vein?

This is just a discussion thread, not an announcement thread. Really looking for input here.

Proposed Mechanics:
It would run on FUMBBL in an “open tournament” setting. This will generate an auto table on coach placings. A Team table will be manually constructed and maintained on the front page of the group.

Each Team will have a captain who will nominate a fixed pecking order at the start of the tournament.

Six rounds. Swiss system for matching Teams. Weekly rounds, deadline midnight Sunday.

On Monday mornings the Team matchups will be announced. First pick (Team 1) will be drawn randomly, then in order:
Team 1 has his #1 coach from the fixed pecking order listed for the 1st fixture
Team 2 captain, nominates which of his coaches will play the 1st fixture.
Team 2 captain, nominates a coach for the 2nd fixture
Team 1 captain, nominates a coach for the 2nd fixture
3rd fixture is the remaining two coaches
So basically, two actions need to be completed before Monday midnight. Team 2’s nominations, followed by Team 1’s nomination. Nominations will be made publicly on a FUMBBL forum thread.
As soon as the fixtures are set, teams are free to play.
If the two captains don’t come through with their nominations by the deadline, the process will be completed on pecking order.

Team win: 3, Draw: 1, Loss: 0. (-1 mod for any forfeits)
First tie breakers on tallied individual team points: 3, 1, 0 as above. -2 forfeit

Resurrection vs progression? I prefer progression, even in a short tournament like this one. Going resurrection with skill packs will require input and assistance from FUMBBL admins and tech support, and they have plenty on their plate already.

NAF or not? I’m leaning not. For the same reasons as not resurrection

Team restrictions? I’d say three different races per team – nothing more restrictive than that

Admin: I’m happy to give it a go. I’ve run one trans-Tasman tournament on FUMBBL (Big Star Cauldron) which ran OK, and required a bit of manual admining. I’d hope to bring in an admin from Aus as well – any volunteers?

So who’s keen? Realistically based on the turn outs for the past two online-NAF tournaments in the Aus division (~20 players), I don’t think we can expect more than 7 teams. But let’s dream big:

From NZ, I think we can get three teams from the table top community (NZBBN): WBBL, ChriBBL, and a barbarians team. I’d also hope to recruit a FUMBBL only kiwi team.
So that’s 4 (12 players)

The Aussie scene is more of a mystery to me. So at a guess:
Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide TT community, one team each. Maybe an extra from Victoria and NSW. That’s 7 (21 players)
Let’s say 2 FUMBBL only Aus teams: 2 (6 players)

And we’ll chuck in a FUMBBL East Asian team for fun (3 players).

Total: 14 teams (42 players)

When? I’d like to have it finished well ahead of the World Cup. Maybe kick off after the Dutch Open finishes.

Feedback please. I’ll post this on NZBBN and Ausbowl as well.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2015 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello!

Good luck in setting this up, I look forward to seeing how it goes! Smile

Just a quick reminder that it is intended resurrection functionality eventually becomes open to all to play with as they choose, but that doesn't exist yet. Similarly, online NAF sanctioning is restricted to the tournaments the team and I run via the process you're familiar with. I know you're leaning non NAF and progression, but I wanted to chip in early incase someone swayed you. Wink

My proverbial door is always open to anyone that wants to partner their tabletop tournament up with an online version. I'm sure you're aware of our current restrictions (essentially, we cannot yet do tiers), but if your tournament is relatively vanilla, you know where I am!

Anyway, enough of that. Sorry for jumping in, I look forward to spectating some of this. Very Happy
cdwat

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good if it's resurrection. I'm not keen on a progression tournament at all.

I'm the only SA SWL representative (afaik), but we might be able to drag along some of the TT community.

Bio template here.
Toonie

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I don't think progression would work in this setting, as it is better for leagues or even groups like the Fringe.
This sort of comp focuses more on the coaches, whereas leagues etc. mainly are based on teams and their fluff.
And for the Aussies, i think it will NSW team/s of coaches, Vic team/teams of coaches, SA, WA and Qld coaches bundled together lol.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

GIVE 'EM A TASTE OF KIWI!
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I quite like the idea, and would probably be interested, time permitting.

I don't know enough about non-progression/resurrection to input anything useful though...

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 07:58
FUMBBL Staff

Progression vs Resurrection

I think resurrection is the major mode in tabletop tourneys for three main reasons.
1) Nobody likes to have their team ripped apart
2) You can't get too much natural development over 5-6 games
3) Logistically it's difficult to oversee and keep track of the skill ups, of many teams with a short game turnaround time.

For the online team champs, we don't need to worry about the paperwork headache as FUMBBL does it for us. If a team does get ripped apart, well they have two team mates who can carry the wins. And most importantly, it must be progression for the reason Purplegoo has set out above - it's the only option (for now)

We'll see it there's any buy in from Ausbowl and NZBBN to this idea. If there is, it's a great opportunity to introduce them to FUMBBL, and perhaps recruit for continued online leagues.
bigbullies

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Also folks atc 2014 in melbourne last year was progression and was awsome though they also had a ruling which while vague to me now loosely went " if you are the sole player of that race here are two cards of either misc mayhem or ......."(it was all decks i believe and you could choose any 2 cards from any deck/decks )
And the other was "Oh there are only two of you playing ......race here have a card each" (same thing as above re cards)
There were of course other rules etc but the main thing was progression and cards it worked splendidly for racial variations and diversity 30players no one took welves hahahah if but one person had then they would have dominated !!

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Oops, suppose I didn't read Purplegoo's post.

Well, not overly excited about it then :/
bigbullies suggestions are interesting though, that could improve things.

Put me down as a maybe.

Bio template here.
BeefyGoodness

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

Awesome idea. I'm all for team tourney's. I ran the first one in Australia 3 years ago in Canberra and it was fantastic Smile Running the tourney was actually quite hard because of the scoring etc. For those reasons resurrection was favored. If you were to use FUMBBL then as mentioned, all the work would be done for you...so its just a flavor thing then.

Progression is a very loosely used word in tabletop tourneys. Whether its the choose MVP at the end of every game (Cancon) or a resurrection/progression mix that grumpsh pioneered at the 2014 ATC. Either of these require a kind of custom progression that represents the same current technical barrier as resurrection tourneys in regards to FUMBBL.

The scoring system is also important in the team setting. You can see a lot of discussion on that on ausbowl.com

Good luck with it. I know I would try to support it and sign up for it if you can organize it. I would suggest you look at round robin (depending on numbers of course) and a fixed draw (generated for all players randomly by the admin at the commencement of the tourney) to start with just for simplicity sake.

3 man, progression, no duplicates is also quite simple.

Anyway my advice is keep it simple and achievable and then try to build on success.

cheers,

beefy

Go the Count!
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 10:29
FUMBBL Staff

Thanks for the input. I think the whole nomination process I touted would be dropped in favour of a fixed pecking order for simplicity.

The bonus cards inducement thing is possible with the current FUMBBL options. It just needs clear guidelines so that those not entitled to take them don't. We had a big bonus pot of inducement money to make the Big Star function and nobody abused it.

I'll have a trawl thtough the old ausbowl discussions. I am new to the team concept... but it's one I like very much.
bigbullies

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2015 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
Thanks for the input. I think the whole nomination process I touted would be dropped in favour of a fixed pecking order for simplicity.

Dont do this as once the number ones twos etc are all known you effectively just have 3 conferences instead for simplicity at the draw of each team say which number will play which eg team a 1 plays team b 3 ,team a 2 plays team b 1, team a 3 plays team b 2
So they are seeded but it isnt so predictable
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2015 - 04:00
FUMBBL Staff

Ok, so where are we at with this?

3 man teams
5 round Swiss
Fixed pecking order. Mix'n'match each round (e.g. 123v123, 123v321...)
Progression (technically restricted to this)
Bonus inducement cards to unique teams.

I think it'll work. But only if we get the teams. Recruitment needs to be done by team captains. I need volunteer team captains to go forth and try to assemble teams. Anyone want to put their hand up for:
[WBBL]
[ChrBBL]
[NZBaba]
[NZFUMBBL]
[NSW]
[VIC]
[QLD]
[SA]
[WA]
[ACT]
[AUSBaba]
[SWLBaba]
[Asia]

If I can get 6 captains signed up by this time next week I'll progress the idea. Otherwise I guess I might park it for a while.

Last edited by ramchop on %b %02, %2015 - %04:%Jul; edited 2 times in total
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2015 - 04:01
FUMBBL Staff

... and a name. It's not the ATC, that's somebody elses baby.

Update (7/7): Idea parked due to a general lack of interest
Redgum

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2016 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't see this in JUly, but if I can have a fringe team play in a tourney representing the Big V vs you scumbags from all the lesser states, then I'm in.
Resurrections, cards, NAF, whatever. All details. Who cares?
I'm in.

Jump to: