28 coaches online • Server time: 01:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should I do?
Quit whining and take your lumps
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Quit whining and Rebuild your team
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Quit whining and Play a different team
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
Quit whining, quit the league and eat more PIE
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

with another loss this season, and the near repetitive nature of the matches, ( if i kick, i get mauled, even by non bash teams. if i receive, i do the mauling, then maybe win, or more likely tie) i am quickly approaching a nexus and implore the Fumbbl community for some guidance on my current team, the Miami Krakens

The league is a 14 game season with high and very high TV teams. my division is currently Chaos dwarves, Khemri, and dwarves, all played by very competent to skilled coaches, so coaching skill is on parity. I fear the meta has evolved around my team, which is feared as a "Cheese CPOMB team". I don't want to get into the CPOMB skills discussion side of things, other than if it relates to this build and improvement of either my play or team structure.

Unless i am missing something obvious, I see 4 options

1) quit whining and keep taking my lumps. I am not playing them correctly. Play this way more.

2) quit whining and restructure the team. I have/Don't have enough of X. Insert advice here.

3) the meta has evolved around your team and you need to change it up. Play insert team here.

4) Quit the league and eat more Pie

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get pie jokes...I guess pastry-based humour is just beyond me.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't play Pact and so have no real advice for you there.

I would like to +1 Gozers comment though. Let's retire this stupid pie thing.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

There really isn't a "pie" option here, because "pie" says "quit the league" and that's a distinct choice to make. "Pie" is a way of voting "present" and abstaining from the vote.

Don't quit the league, whatever you do. If you make a new team, play elveses.

I think you need some pizzazz to make your team work. Maybe you can draft a freak next year. Maybe you can get +MA or +AG on your Skaven. You lost your +AG+ST guy, now you need a new AG player. Maybe an AG5 one. I know that's not what you want to hear, because you can't deliberately build for it, but that's what you're missing. (Welcome to the club: I'm missing that element too.)

Also, your TV is crazy. Yes, it's a good team, but you're eating a Wizard every game and no matter how many superstuds with CPOMB you have they're still all AV8 and if you get bad dice they go sploot. And the big guys are all very expensive: they're good players, 5/6 of the time, but still. Not sure if there's anything to be done about all that though.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the Mino might well be due to retire. MA4 Frenzy PO? Not great.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As another coach in your conference, I'd suggest skilling up a couple ballers, replacing the Mino, and building the rest of the team to support balling more. You need to be able to steal drives from opponents
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

you need movement.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems you concentrate too much on the bashing and forget about the balling. You're team is great at beating up the opponent, don't forget to score and win. To practice defense maybe you should choose for every match from now on to kick first. That way you'll get practice how to defend. Always remember: offense wins game, defense wins championships.

Most important advice: don't take the game to seriously! Whining looses games that you might win, you're just getting jealous about your opponents luck and forget about your possibilities.
Chaos pact is one of the hardest teams to coach in my opinion, they are one of my favorite opponents. Winning against them is easy. Your big guys fail in 1/6 of all cases, if you use a mino you should build him into your killer-blitzer doing blitzes with him every round. Unfortunenately you've got enough chaos pact humans to do the job. Another problem is animosity that doesn't help passing/handing off the ball.

But most important factor: have fun whatever you do, get your opponents doing risky stuff trying to get the ball from you. Let them burn rr, trying to dodge, taking extra steps etc. Then when they fail actions early on and cannot rr anymore, almost all will be in your tacklezones. Now you can start the bashing. Also don't forget about fouling, foul when you've got a high chance to remove their best players. Don't foul, if you only have a slight chance to remove an umimportant player.

And never forget smile: nuffle isn't always so onesided, what starts out good might turn bad, what starts bad might change in the second to great dice. Always expect failure, but also be ready when luck turns in your way. Good luck with your team!
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2016 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a member of the league but I do enjoy watching the Krakens play from time to time. High TV big guy pact are still rare enough to be a novelty. I'm not sure about how new players are recruited (they come skilled don't they?), but it seems like there is a missed opportunity for spamming guard stand firm marauders to support your key players.

That, and a scoring big guy would be the changes I'd make.

Join the Human League Premiership!
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2016 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Your skaven is what... a ball retriever blitzer? No idea. Fire. Get guard on your marauders that aren't DP/Killers/Ballers.

Other than that, the team doesn't look bad.
PainState

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2016 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Any team that represents Miami, even in a fantasy alternate universe, is doomed. The glory days happened way before you where the head coach of this sinking ship.

Retire the team, beg the comish to give you a franchise that is not stuck in the mud and will be losers for a very long time.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2016 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with all NickNutria has said. Sound analysis and advice IMO.

Just a question: how are you Gaurds working out? You have 4 on the team, but 3 on them are big guys, who are slow, drop turns, not good at dodging and hopefully busy most turns pinning someone down, bitzing, or blocking.

If you're getting pushed around by teams with equal strength levels, this is often because of assists with guard. Maybe consider more guard on Marauders?
licker

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2016 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

You're not wrong, the meta in the AFC generally has evolved around how to beat CPOMB teams, whether it's NA, or Miami or Cincy (and Pit before) these are the top dogs who you know you will see represented in the playoffs (I didn't forget Jax, Jax just hasn't had the same sustained success).

What this means is you have to keep on fighting fire with fire (as you are doing) or switch it up and play something to counter the hard core bash. The problem with the later is that nothing really counters high TV hardcore bash in a 14 game environment. Sure every now and then some elf team will pop up, but they just can't last due to the number of casualties they take over the course of the season. Even with the draft, even with 6spp rookies... It just doesn't last.

It used to, but the AFC kept on drifting more to bash, and even if you say your AV7 sides get an edge on the claw teams, there are still orcs and dwarfs running around who you don't get that edge on. There is also high TV nurgle which neutralizes some of the advantage AG4 teams enjoy naturally.

So it's a tricky situation. Because you have to consider the other 15 AFC teams (and certainly the other 3 AFCE teams) you wind up locked into certain builds to be able to simply get to a .500 record and a chance at the playoffs. There really are no push over coaches (just push over divisions, I'm looking at you AFCW...).

So, while I am likely your prime AFCE competitor, and my advice is taken with a larger grain of salt than most, believe me when I tell you that skaven are the ticket. If you don't think you can do the skaven thing (and it's not easy to do), then Pact is probably the hardest M team to do it with, because your TV does bloat to insane levels with the 3BG build. Nurgle is favored, and after them Chaos, and then CD, though CD have better matchups outside of the M battles, but again, you're going to go through CD 2x a year (3x if playoffs) and Nurgle probably in the playoffs. So you have to be able to beat them consistently, and right now, I think your games vs. me are slightly in your favor, but basically just CAS dice coin flips.

I know I've considered retiring the Bulltrots a few times, because as much as I like playing them, the games become a bit stale after a while. Still, up until we WON THE SUPER BOWL, I couldn't move off of them. Now that we have? Well they secured their legacy, the motivation to get them a championship has been sated, so who knows.

Maybe you and I should lead an AFC revolution and switch things up. I'll go gobbos if you go halfers Wink
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2016 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure I'd fire a 7437 Block guy, but would keep the squad to 13-14 players. As a Dorf coach, I'd say that your TV is too damn high!

Watching Sutherlands' Joplin Disasters may help you find your mojo back.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2016 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Joplin is in a different league with a cap, so that team cannot really get to massive TVs since they have to cut to 1750 every season anyway.

Also NWFL has team limits which NBFL does not, so again, Joplin doesn't have to run into the kind of cpomb monsters that Miami does.

But, the Krakens TV is pretty damn high. I'm not convinced that's a bad thing though, Pact can carry that TV without it being total bloat (depending on your opinion of the BGs). So can Nurgle, so can Chaos. Other teams who have crappy linemen can't afford to carry as many skills on them since their value limits pretty quickly. I know that NA feels a lot trimmer after losing our AG4 hobber. Great as he looked on paper, he didn't actually add that much to the team, but cost us 120k TV, and... kept a dirty player hobber off the pitch.

If Bullroarer wants to stick with Pact I think his team is built pretty well. The issues are more of how it competes in the meta, and the 'problem' is that it is overly reliant on removal and lacks utility. But you know what? That 'problem' is natural for M teams who build to beat other M teams. I'm chalking up his record this year as bad luck, I know I've had a couple 2-4 win seasons with NA which happened simply because the dice didn't cooperate and then you're left trying to make elf plays with guys who are not elfs.

The ultimate question really is how much does he enjoy playing the Krakens as they are currently configured? How much does he enjoy the kind of game play which is governed by playing Pact (and 3BG pact) in the first place? Sometimes you just get tired of it (I got tired of the Midnight for example) and switching to something else will restore your desire to play.

So, like I said, I think you could do really well in the AFC with Skaven (though you are at the mercy of AV7...) I think Woodies also can turn out some incredible performances. If you are good enough with Vamps I think that's a really interesting high TV team as well, though a harder one to win consistently with.

If you stick with Pact then you already know how they play, and what they need to be successful, so it's not about changing the team wholesale (though dumping the Mino seems wise), it's about refocusing on the strengths, and trying to punish everyone else who takes advantage of your weaknesses.
 Jump to: