25 coaches online • Server time: 01:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is pass blocking cool?
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 30 ]
No
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
As cool as bow ties
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Macavity for U.S. president 2016! (hey, if Cruz can run, why not Mac?)
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 44

Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Fumbbl,

I have two teams in tournaments right now that each have a pass blocker. I had a non-tourney game awhile back where the pass blocker failed a dodge before reaching a legal destination. As a result, the game froze and had to be abandoned.

I can imagine this would be extremely frustrating if it ever happened during a tourney game (especially if one team was ahead).

So

#1: Is this bug fixed?

#2: If not, are there specific conditions known to activate it. Only failed first move? Or is it any failed dodge? Failed gfi? etc

#3: Should it just be a rule that one cannot use pass block unless reaching your destination requires no risk?

Perhaps we should have a sticky in the tournament forum on forbidden game crashing actions or added to official tourney rules.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you replicate in test client? Wink
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried but couldn't remember any of the commands to add skills to your team or to demand a particular result (i.e. to fail the dodge)

Wouldn't mind finding out if testing is still needed etc...

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 01:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Still happens sometimes, not sure on frequency or replication of the bug. Best I can say is that at least some of the time when you fail a dodge during a pass block it will freeze. Not sure if it always happens or if there's a specific set of circumstances that cause it.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

From the bug report, it seems (so far) to be on any failed dodges, nothing more specific.

There's also a separate game-breaking bug which won't let you select or move a pass blocker (or do anything else) if the thrower rerolled a failed animosity test to make the pass.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Pass Block must be pretty damn cool if it makes the client freeze!

I have one on the team I've just entered into the UI. Could be a good psychological weapon: 'pass that ball if you dare - I'll freeze the game if you do!' Lol! Smile

Btw, I don't think you can gfi on a pass block - you get 3 squares, that's it.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried around in test mode. Dalfort, all commands are available in the help menu of the client.

It seems that the client doesn't end a pass block action when the pass blocking player falls over. It waits for the pass block action to end, but you can't give commands to your prone player - it's frozen.

However, if the pass blockers av is broken when falling, the resulting stun automatically ends his move AND the pass block action - no freeze!

So when it comes to falling during a passblock, do like Yoda says: do or do not. But don't just fall a little or the client will freeze!
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so it seems like we shouldn't use PB unless we're very confident the player won't fall over. Mine is an AG5 with dodge, so dodging with him should be v low risk. There's also a bug that it doesn't work on dump-off - is that correct?

Is Kalimar still fixing bugs, or if not, is the source code available for someone else to have a go? Just wondering what the prospects are of this getting fixed anytime soon .. ?

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

One (relatively) straightforward way to at least prevent the game breaking might be to add in a 2-minute time limit for the PB action, so if something does lock up, the opponent can eventually time it out anyway ..

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Pass Block is all great and all but probably not a good idea to stress the client to such an extent.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if we're going to discourage people from taking/using it, then perhaps PB should be removed from FUMBBL as a skill option? I took it on my line elf because the option was there & I intend to use it.

I agree with Arktoris that it would be good to have an official ruling re. tournaments. If I freeze the game by attempting a passblock, will the win be awarded to my opponent? Thing is, I might still choose to take that 1/36 risk, if I'm in a losing position anyway ..

pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2016 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

official ruling would be good, cos if i have PB in a tourny, I'm gonna use it if there is any chance of it helping to win...

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2016 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I just tested it and I was unable to make the client crash due to a pass block trip. I tried numerous times, both with and without armour breaks, and it seemed very robust.

I can also confirm that pass block doesn't work against a dump-off pass.

Rawlf

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2016 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, forget what I posted before, I was far off the mark.

When you fail a dodge during a pass block turn and your armour holds, a 'continue' button appears which does just what it says when you use it. If your armour breaks, the game continues automatically.

BUT when you fail a dodge during your pass block turn and end up prone in a square that is outside of the pass block area, you get the following message upon clicking the continue botton: 'End turn not possible. You cannot end the turn before the acting player has reached a valid destination.'
Which he obviously can't, because he is prone and you can't even select him any more.
edited to answer the questions in the OP: it makes no difference if the failed dodge is your 1st or 2nd step. The 3rd will always put you in a valid square. No GFIs possible during pass block.

So to prevent the game from locking, a rule should say something like 'You are not allowed to dodge into a tile that is not a valid destination for a pass block during a pass block turn.'
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2016 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm ... I'd swear when I tried it, the game continued automatically, whether the armour broke or not, and I thought I had tried failing the dodge outside of the pass block zone at least once or twice. I'll try it again later and report back (have to go to work now).

Jump to: