28 coaches online • Server time: 01:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes fascinating history Harvestmouse! I think I left Gw shortly after those squat choo - choo trains came out lol. The tie-in between lizardmen and Jurassic Park may be true, but to be fair it probably also goes back to Games Workshop 's roots. GW was founded by Ian Livingstone, who previously wrote many of the great Fighting Fantasy books. One of the famous ones was Island of the Lizard King - and the blue sauri look remarkably similar.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 13:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Maybe a licencing scheme would be better (but that's not the GW way).

See, this is the way I'd go with it. It's at least worth consideration. I sometimes thing GW can be a bit short-sighted with their plans.

I'd investigate a strategy where they offer licencing to 3rd party figure makers. Anything they lose in figure sales they make up in free advertising and increasing the value of the IP. Then they release their own models on Kickstarter using the same model as others seem to be succeeding with - only producing what people want to buy. Finally, with the game wider spread they sell off the (now more valuable) IP rights to a bigger/better company than Cyanide once the licence comes up again.

I'd at least investigate that model anyway. Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDeath wrote:
Yes fascinating history Harvestmouse! I think I left Gw shortly after those squat choo - choo trains came out lol. The tie-in between lizardmen and Jurassic Park may be true, but to be fair it probably also goes back to Games Workshop 's roots. GW was founded by Ian Livingstone, who previously wrote many of the great Fighting Fantasy books. One of the famous ones was Island of the Lizard King - and the blue sauri look remarkably similar.

They may have, but GW changed an awful awful lot when Ian Livingstone left. Actually while he was still there in fact as the company moved in a direction he wasn't interested in or his speciality.

They always had Lizardmen, but they were more troglodytes. In face I couldn't really see the difference between the 2.

The look was very very different to the Lizardmen of the early 90s and onward. What I meant by it though was more how they brought in the dinos and the character/feel of the army.
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well.........let's say the game did die off. Which is better for GW? I don't know, it might have been better for them that it had died and when it came back it was nice and fresh.

In fact rulewise it most certainly would be. The amount of negative feedback GW have already got and that's only going to get worse.......much much worse from the established community isn't going to be good for business. I think the community is going to be a non profit making pain in the butt for GW.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point and agree partly. However GW owe us nothing (it's their game), and I doubt they'll gain much from the community.

I also think that to some extent the 3rd party industry is a bit of a sore. It's all for profit, very few companies actually invest or enhance the game (Impact and FF Fields are 2 companies off the top of my head that do invest and enhance the game).

We'll have to see what happens. Maybe a licencing scheme would be better (but that's not the GW way).

I don't think 3rd party is better for the game if GW do it properly and really invest in it again properly. And yes they are are all about proft, though I think these days GW are no better. But from the point of view of the people who have spent the last years still playing the game and making the best of a situation GW themselves created it would be the right thing to do.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2016 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it's a fair point. I don't think they owe the 3rd party manufacturers anything, after all they're mostly jumping on a ship for profit.

However it is a kick in the teeth to the supporters of the game. GW do have to do something to make this worthwhile for them though, and BB has never been that profitable due to the small amount of figures you need.

There is absolutely no way they can allow the game to be played at their HQ with 3rd party figures though. That said, it's not clear how much of an affect it'll have on the BB scene.

I mean if the NAF carry on as they are, so with BB. The GW events are going to be amateur compared (amateur not in organisation but in the product being played). So I don't know how appealing it'll be for NAF members. Uni students attending a middle school football match springs to mind
PeteW

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/the-bugmans-xxxxxx-league-cup/

Tournament pack and rules are out.

1300 TV and you can buy leader for 30 on any player.
1 skill for 1 player after each game. D6 roll and a 6 gives you a double. Doesn't say you can't stack skills...

3 points per td, 2 per CAS, 2 for an int, 1 for cpp and 1 for being sent off.
Only benefit for winning is +1 ff!

I'll go as I live in Nottingham. Anyone else?

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/the-bugmans-xxxxxx-league-cup/

Tournament pack and rules are out.

1300 TV and you can buy leader for 30 on any player.
1 skill for 1 player after each game. D6 roll and a 6 gives you a double. Doesn't say you can't stack skills...

3 points per td, 2 per CAS, 2 for an int, 1 for cpp and 1 for being sent off.
Only benefit for winning is +1 ff!

I'll go as I live in Nottingham. Anyone else?

I think I probably will Pete now I have picked up the TT bug again.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quick peruse and the skills are all CRP (I think) not LRB 5. Interesting what they've done with the apothecary though. No idea whether that is stronger or not!
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I am going. Off to check out the rules now, and decide how to win with that crazy points system! A gentleman's agreement with the opponent seems to be the way to go...

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul every turn, pass every turn, two-turn every score, one sided defense sweeping across behind the ball trying to force the quick scores and set to immediately pass and score on any ball turnover. Blitz and base the softest targets in hope of a couple cas. It's basically victory by SPP, so High Elves are really good at all that pointless passing on the way to quick scores, only your opponents all have a big incentive to try and keep up and play the same way! Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
and 1 for being sent off.

And if Sneaky Git was already not a completely useless skill...

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Quick peruse and the skills are all CRP (I think) not LRB 5. Interesting what they've done with the apothecary though. No idea whether that is stronger or not!
It's stronger than CRP, I think.
Nothing is more than a BH and a 66% chance to bring back any one player under these rules. CRP apo is 50% chance.

Although stated as a change "for the tournament" I think a slight buff like this is interesting.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

dode74 wrote:

Nothing is more than a BH and a 66% chance to bring back any one player under these rules. CRP apo is 50% chance.

Although stated as a change "for the tournament" I think a slight buff like this is interesting.

Slightly stronger than 50% I think, as it works automatically on a BH? Tournament apo has always worked differently to league apo, so the stats are different.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely you can work out which is better Dode?

crp auto works on all BH's which is half of all possible injuries. On anything else if you use the apoth you have a 50% shot of getting that player back. Compare that to 66% chance on every injury.

I had a look at the example teams, some nice conversions and paint jobs, but it is a bit of a struggle to tell some positionals apart. Also half the teams appear to be orcs, who are the easiest team to convert.

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2016 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhh yes, it is simple (new apoth) when you think about it.
 Jump to: