21 coaches online • Server time: 01:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
thoralf

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, I just checked the calculator, and against non-Block menz a Norse 2D with Pro is 84.375% without the Re-Roll, and 89.063% when Pro is taken before, compared to 75%/93%. Comparable to Mighty Blow, sometimes for half the price.

We'd also need to take into account that double-SKULL's can cost.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

pro/fend on norse LOS is good. Done it before, got good results.

Pro just bumps him in all respects. It makes the player a bit awesomer at everything instead of great at one thing. He's the jack of all trades guy.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll definitely try Pro on an Elf or two.
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I opened a thread discussing the pros (pun intended) and cons of Pro a while ago: Pro: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Some random facts that may explain why I like this skill despite its important shortcomings:
- An AG3 Pro player dodges out in the open like an AG3.66 player.
- A 2D block with Pro is very close to a 3D block in terms of knocking the opponent down.
- Wrestle+Pro slann linos rock.
licker

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro is another one of those skills that is great if it comes for free, but if you are spending a skill slot on it you better really have thought through what you are giving up by taking it.

So yah, at super star or legend if you run out of other options, why not.

Any time before that? Just can't see the value in it, other than maybe for Vamps, and maybe 2nd or 3rd double BGs.

Saying all of this, have never taken pro on any player ever. I have taken fend though. I've also taken +AV once (and didn't regret it). I've taken sneaky git (on A access only players). I think I was very close to taking pass block once too.

But I've never even considered pro seriously, and nothing said here has changed my mind.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I played the Woodhead Wonderers when they had a Block Pro Tree. I wouldn't have thought what a pain he was. A normal Tree is useless half the time. He gets rooted, or he gets knocked down at one point and doesn't come back up. With Pro, that's only 25% of the time. And then with Block and Pro, he can routinely throw 2d Blocks without much risk of causing a turnover. Or, in non-critical situations, he can even use Pro to reroll pushes (though happygrue's point about that particular application is well made, but it only half applies to Loners).

The question hadn't been about Big Guys though, has it? Sorry. Got carried away. Wink
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I forgot. Pro is good on players with G-access only, Block or Wrestle, and AG4 or better, like a +AG Lineman with Block. Makes your dodges and pickups about as good as AG3 skilled even without a TRR (slightly better, even). And it can be used on pushes when you really want a pow.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

So...

Pro is a skill you never want to take, but when you have to take a skill because some useless lineman kept on getting MVPs you take pro.

Got it.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue has rather nailed this thread. What he says.

(Also, I like 'Say no to Pro' because it rhymes, like)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
So...

Pro is a skill you never want to take, but when you have to take a skill because some useless lineman kept on getting MVPs you take pro.

Got it.
And 2nd double on big guys. And 3rd or later on Vamps. And 5th on TPOMBers (esp after Jump Up).

I was sorely tempted to draft Pig Howard (TPOMB/Jugg 51 SPP) over Jonathan Anderson (TPOMB/Pro 70 SPP) in the NBFL. I finally chose Anderson because I would have taken Pro or Grab 5th on a normal roll after Juggernaut, and Juggernaut after Pro, but would rather have Pro if I doubled or rolled +AG on my 5th roll. And Anderson is only 3 Cas away from Juggernaut anyway.

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2016 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I am in Licker's camp on this one, I have never taken it and never even considered it. To me it seems like half a skill.

I think all Pro Elves should have pro. As in the whole team. Goes with the theme.

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2016 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro belongs on big guys and THAT'S IT. If you find yourself needing a 50/50 out on each player and willing to pay for it in bloat and a generally undeveloped team for the TV, you should reexamine your life. And look into girl scout cookies.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2016 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

DarthPhysicist wrote:
Pro belongs on big guys and THAT'S IT. If you find yourself needing a 50/50 out on each player and willing to pay for it in bloat and a generally undeveloped team for the TV, you should reexamine your life. And look into girl scout cookies.
Works REALLY well on any player with Dauntless, Jump-Up, Hypnotic Gaze, or Blood Lust. None of these are Turn Ending rolls (by themselves), but their typically not things you wanna use a team RR on (with some exceptions on Dauntless and Blood Lust, but those are more situational moments).

It's also good on any player with Loner, who already has a 50% chance to RR, to save team RRs
Dach

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2016 - 05:34 Reply with quote Back to top

For me, it's a standard on 2th double on Big Guys. Block being the first.

For Vamps, I know how good this can be but I'm always tempted by Block & Dodge first. Undecided.

Then you have the case of guys who make too much roll in one activation. Mainly Right Stuff OTTD, also Leaper. Right stuff OTTD can take the skill as soon as it hit cause it's a double. Leaper usually need other skill first but on the 4th or 5th skill this become tempting.

And lastly, killer or lineman that already have all the skill they need.

This is where I use pro. Hope it help.
Kahvie

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2016 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Only time I take pro over block for a big guy is with treemen. Cuts the stand root almost in half.
 Jump to: