52 coaches online • Server time: 11:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VonManson

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 09:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all,

I have just started a slann team and am becoming somewhat frustrated. I have come from pro elves where life is pretty sweet and easy.

Not realising how frustrating ag3 and no inbuilt reroll skills was is killing me. Does anyone have any advice on how to weather this early storm or is it a case of trying to push through and get people up levels beofre the magic can happen?

Thanks
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 09:55
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

If you were starting again I'd perhaps say lose the blitzers early on and get a 4th re-roll, but your team is looking pretty good after 6 games. 2 catchers are skilled already and the blitzers are close. I'd stick with it. You need to fire the injured players ASAP though. I'd probably get rid of both injured linemen (definitely the -Str one) and take journeymen. Maybe keep the catcher until you can afford to replace him, but try not to score with him Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
okostomi

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann is very complicated, i would not start with them. When I played them, i avoided the blitzers, took catchers, linefrogs and Kroxy. Catchers score very well. Scoring many TD wins games. This was my strategy. If you plan for very long term, you will need the blitzers and pray for ag+
VonManson

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for your quick and helpful replies. My main apprehension about firing them is that in the three games I have played with journey men they have ended up mvp and it has lost me out on team upgrades.

If I was to purchase a journey man that got mvp do they lose loner?

Also I have lino on 5spp should I try and force a completion to get him a skill?

I am looking to run the team for a while as I am painting up models to play in a league at home so want to learn how to use them.

Thanks
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 10:39
FUMBBL Staff

I'd argue that MVPs are just as wasted on injured dudes as they are on journeymen. Neither has a future.

Yes, purchased Journeymen lose Loner and become regular linemen.

I'd always try and skill a 5spp player, but only if it's really safe or there's nothing to play for.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello! Welcome to Slann. Great fun, but tricky. Wink

There is a well-established, long argument around these parts about how to build a Slann team. It has two camps:

1) Blitzers are incredibly expensive, useless and will inflate your TV like Billy-o. Never buy one of these, focus on Catchers, Linos and Kroxigors

2) Buy all four Blitzers instantly. Try not to get too many Catchers, or if you do, don’t let them swallow all of the spps, when those Blitzers skill up, they are the beating heart of the team and fill many roles to keep the team competitive – focus on them

Regardless of which school of thought you subscribe to, I would recommend that you pick one and go at it. I don’t feel that Slann work terrifically well as a halfway house of ideas, which is odd for me because I’m normally a very team-focussed, sum of the parts, spread the spp around sort of a coach. In the case of Slann, I am absolutely happy to let Catchers be the stars of the show, have a big guy anchor and let the Linefrogs come along at their own pace.

It’s often overlooked quite how fragile Slann are, especially in the early days. Yes, they have AV8, but consider that you have no survival skills off the bat. No Block, Wrestle, Dodge. If you are not careful, your AV8 players will be suffering several blocks a turn, and with every escape a 3+, sometimes you might have to stand everyone up for them to get hit again, which isn’t good. Consider your positioning, and take contact very seriously. Try very hard to dictate tempo with Slann; if the other guy is in control and you are reacting to him, your numbers will thin quickly. Yes, every turn you have a simple 3+ to hit the ball, but that 3+ should be one of your options, along with defending more passively. When you’re reduced to one plan, that plan is orders of magnitude less threatening.

Most of all, just enjoy it. Slann play differently to a lot of other races. They are a challenge, even for an experienced coach. Take your licks, learn and get stuck in. Wink
VonManson

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys. There is some pretty sound advice there. I will have to go catcher heavy as I love the flair style game. I am really wanting a big guy though as the line sucks and 3+ dodge also sucks ha ha.

Like I said I think I was spoilt by pro elves pass, catch, and nerves of steel makes for a pretty easy passing life, I often feel that I am having to force the game with slann.

Sorry for the neewb question but I selected ready to play with my team and now want to fire some players. Any easy way to do this?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:03
FUMBBL Staff

You need an admin to unready the team for you... which I've just done Smile

PGoo explained it best. I didn't really know how to word the slann 'schools of thought'.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
VonManson

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Which schools do you guys subscribe too?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

1) for me, but there are coaches who I think are great who go 2). I suspect it might be influenced by the TV at which you like to play BB. Coaches that prefer very high TV tend towards Blitzers, as a vast generalisation.
VonManson

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. So you wouldn't try and end up with a team with four of each on it? I guess if you take the blitzer route you have to play a running game.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd not have passing on my list of plans with Catchers either, to be honest. If needs must, but nothing more.

No, I'd personally probably never aim for four Blitzers. I might occasionally get the odd one or two when I felt that I had the numbers, rerolls and TV to facilitate, but four is too rich for my blood. Other, perfectly acceptable opinions are available. Smile
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:31
FUMBBL Staff

I'm 1 too. I did have a Blitzer but he died early on and I never re-bought him. I like the balance of the Krox with the catchers.

I think Wreckage is the classic example of a 1. Happygrue is a great example of a 2. Apologies to other great Slann players Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, don't expect too much. Slann are hard. And starting Slann are double hard.

If you want to spec some games or watch some replays, one might recommend checking out Wreckage for school 1), happygrue for school 2). (There are several more great Slann coaches but these two are the most well known I think.)
VonManson

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2016 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The amount of advice and helpfulness I have received so quickly is epic. Thank you all.

Lessons learned so far. Stop trying to throw the ball, I do seem to fumble the pass nearly everytime.
So looking at how the team should play I am guessing a lose screen will be better than a cage as it will provide space to move in.
 Jump to: