40 coaches online • Server time: 20:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Skillz
+MA
63%
 63%  [ 19 ]
Block
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
Kick Off Return
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Other (in comments)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Approx 22/7
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 30

jdm

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Not as impressive as the legend that is Little Lord Lucan but Beryllium of the Large Ogre CollidARRS has rolled 5,5 for his superstar skill. Currently he has sprint, sure feet, catch and the all important sure hands. He is my ball carrier.

The team he plays for, the LOC, are a 0 reroll ogre team. I don't know if this changes skill suggestions but it is the reason I carry with a snotling other than an ogre and why I went with sure hands as first double.

Currently torn between +ma, block and kick off return. Leaning more towards block but suggestions and advice are much appreciated.

Edit: Just noticed he's my oldest player too. How odd to have snotlings outliving ogres.

Last edited by jdm on %b %02, %2016 - %09:%Jun; edited 4 times in total
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

+MA

..add a poll, maybe?

paradocks

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome snot.. making this a really tough decision. i quite like KoR for your team, block would be solid, but KoR has more synergy with the legend skill choice which would have to be diving catch on a normal roll I assume? +ma would be so sweet too. I would have to ponder the wisdom for a lengthy time
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go Block.

Gives him a better chance to make Legend!
paradocks

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Had some further murmurings..

Long term I think the best developmental choice is +ma for him, leaving him capable of making ma7 at legend. I think block depends on how often he gets blocked, if this is almost never then you're almost never getting value from the skill.
Danish_Dan

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like Paradocks idea, KoR and diving catch, with him already having catch. It'll give you a good chance of a free catch every kick-off, and potentially saving re-rolls. Block may be safer, but if you protect him in the cage, then not needed.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't really save rerolls though, as he has Sure Hands and Sure Feet. Maybe if he fails two gfis. But even then, you have no rerolls to save, unless you get one from a kickoff result. Which all makes that very specific.

Slightly less specific is how much difference MA makes to TTM and two turn scores. Plus, of course, it combos well with Sprint & Sure Feet, and makes him the fastest player on your team, which is always a good reason to take it. MA all the way for me.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

just curious, why did you forgo RR in this team?

I'd go +Ma considering the kind of player he is he whould most benefit from that. Anyway everyone gets a 3db when hitting him so probably block is less useful than usually (numbers anyone?)

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Block is mostly useful for that turn when the ogres bonehead at critical points and the carrier can't be protected.

You basically have to weigh up whether at that point you're usually able to screen with snots or whether the +MA would make it easier to deny a block on him.

Block is pretty much purely a defensive skill here, you'll need to weigh up whether your positioning allows you to forgo it if you want the +MA.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
just curious, why did you forgo RR in this team?

I get asked this a lot. Purely fluff and fun reasons. I originally ran this team in ranked with 0 rerolls and 6 ogres as my starting build. Had a bit of success (relatively speaking, they are ogres after all) and enjoyed the high risk/high reward playstyle. Yes, it all falls apart more often than not. That's one of the reasons I have such a strong team fluff, so that I have something to fall back on when the team fails time and time again.

I do have other ogre teams in the box that have rerolls and conventional builds.

Also does seem like +ma is the most popular option. Extra move does a similar job to kick off return anyway. And if I can protect the little guy then he doesn't need block. Plus if he's getting hit, then it's usually 3 dice with my opponent being willing to use a rr if he's carrying the ball.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

+MA. Block is not that great on a ST 1 player, and for a ball carrier +MA is better.
Olgrot

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

+MA for those times when you just need that 1 extra space on a TTM Smile
jdm

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty unanimous poll results so I've gone for the + movement. Also treated the little chap to some new player art

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers! \o/
jdm

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2016 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

First game with new +ma snotling, and he's fouled and suffers -ma.

Next question: do I take this as an omen to retire him?

He costs 140k at the moment :s