68 coaches online • Server time: 20:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think to be really efective it needs two on a team to be able to cover most of the pitch. Then it is much harder to play around than just isolating one player with it. Is it worth the 40tv+ to have it on two players minimum? Probably depends on the teams one normally plays against and the coaches.

DLE College 7s
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

yep
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jun 19, 2016 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Elf catchers.

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2016 - 08:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Ask Nerdbird how he likes Larson grabbing Passblocking Dwarves. Go ahead, I'll wait.
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=11323483

I got a pas block interception in my last game against woodelves (although the roll of a 1 on the subsequent dodge meant it didn't matter). I've had it work against me (I forgot he had the skill) and I've put it on a blitzer, but a lot of teams don't pass - its risky in terms of dice and a lot people only want to win 1-0 or 2-1 and will grind and stall and make the game dull as hell.

If you want to score lots and that means in 1,2 or 3 turns then handoffs / passes are needed and then it'd be more useful. I'd like to score loads but my defensive play is questionable...

The skill would be much better if it allowed you to stand a player up (if he was in the path of the ball obviously) as having a pass blocker in place and not knocked down is often the skillful part of them.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
I think to be really efective it needs two on a team to be able to cover most of the pitch. Then it is much harder to play around than just isolating one player with it. Is it worth the 40tv+ to have it on two players minimum?

Nope, it's not worth 20 TV either, it's a terribad skill if you play to win.
Maybe it could be useful if the Pass Blocker could use their full MA instead of just 3 squares.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It can also trigger a game breaking bug can't it?

Maybe that got fixed.

Anyway, it's not super horrible on legends who run out of other skills to take I guess. It might be useful in certain metas (probably leagues) where you face more elf/pass happy teams.

But generally for R or B? Nah, have fun with it if you like, but most of us try-hards are going to call you a sucker Wink
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Pass block, but I've only taken it on Slann Catchers. I pegged about 3 INTs with one, using the skill. For other teams, it doesn't help unless you are able to apply pressure to force some passes.

Jeffro
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

In the thousands of games I've watched, I only recall a Major game where Eldril stopped a pass by adding a -1 somewhere. That play won the game.

That's about it.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 20:45 Reply with quote Back to top

To me... if you really want to use Pass Block properly you need to have it on at least 2 (and maybe 3) players. That way you can effectively cover the entire Defensive Backfield. I do this with a Norse Team (that I almost never use anymore) that I used to play exclusively against Elves. I would use those 2 to split the difference in the backfield and to man-mark Catchers or to play just behind the Linemen in support.
It worked pretty good (or it seemed to at least) because the implied threat of Pass Block made opponents stay with the run even in situations where a Pass would have been an easy escape. I like the way it allowed me to play with my other 9 defenders to shut down the Run. The Blitzer/Berserkers would take away the Sidelines... the Pass Blocker the Deep Ball and the Ogre (at the time) and other players would clog up the middle.

The 3rd player (in theory because I have never used a 3rd player with Pass Block) would have been used closer to the Cage or Screen hoping to get a shot on the Passer.

I don't think I have ever had Pass Block on any other team. I don't find it useful enough to use most of the time. But if you wanted to build a team around it to play only Elves the way I did it could be good. But I wouldn't think it would be worth it in Ranked or Box if you want to play everybody.

Back when I played this team I had a POOR CR because I was trying all kinds of crazy builds with teams. A team utilizing Pass Block would be good for "reverse cherry picking" because it makes you look like a Noob based on Skill Choices.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

it tends to be taken as 5th or 6th skill choice since it requires a lot to be good.

It's good for shutting down passes and affecting OTS.

It has good synergy with shadowing.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2016 - 23:35
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

What i like most about it is that it usually removes the option to pass from a large portion of the field. TBH i only have one player with it right now.

And that is on Box Cheater Zons.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2016 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
It can also trigger a game breaking bug can't it?

If your pass blocker also has hypno gaze (read Eldril), and if he falls over in an illegal destination during his pass block action, the game will be stuck in limbo.
No way to recover the game from there.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2016 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, as far as i can remember it doesn't need to be hypno players... Tents will also cause a bug. I'm sure Stonetroll's Nurgle had an issue playing Rabe's Agility Monsters a while back.

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2016 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

What I posted about hypno players is correct.
In the situation I described there will be no problem without hypno.

Since I never heard about problems with tents/pass block, I tried around in test mode. Wow tents make a mess out of a pass block!

Most importantly: if your passblocker ends his pass block move in an illegal square because he is held by tents, the game freezes and has to be abandoned.

But the whole move action is bug ridden.

IF the passblocker is in a legal square when he tries to dodge the tents but is held - no problem, the game continues, you can try to intercept.

IF the passblocker is in an illegal square and tries to dodge out but is held, the passblock action should end right there.
Instead, you get your remaining (1 or 2) moves, but now you continue your move as if you had succeded the tents roll, possibly beaming yourself 2 squares away towards the INT zone, rolling for the move as if you were leaving the square you failed to enter in the first place.
Unfortunately, you cannot work around this by clicking the continue button, because you are in an illegal square.

So a siterule should state: Do NOT use passblock with a player next to tents outside the INT zone.
 Jump to: