33 coaches online • Server time: 10:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Coach_Cool

Post 22 Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I just want to hear how you experienced guy actually plays the game on FUMBBL.

I'm usually playing TT or Cyanide BB, but wanted to try FUMBBL as well.

I have only played two games (and watched a couple too), but I find it really hard to see/know what's going on. It goes so fast, that I can't seem to figure out if I should watch the pitch or the text to see what's happening.

My last game was against an experienced FUMBBL coach, and he knew a lot about what was going on, while I even managed to miss a turnover completely.

So I guess my questions are. How do you see who is blocking who, and what the results are so quickly - and at the same time writing messages???

Bonus question. Is it generally accepted to use approx. 3 minutes pr. turn? My last opponent was usually finished within 1 minute - witch didn't make it easier to keep up.

I do not what to play with coaches new to BB (since I mainly want to use online play to help me getting better in my TT league), so I'm looking for tips or recommendations to how to do it Smile

Cheers
Peter aka. Coach Cool Wink
Beanchilla

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you'll get used to the interface as you play more. When a block is made you should see characters cards of the guys blocking on either side of your screen that shows their skills and names.

A helpful way to keep track of things is to mark the players with what skills they have. If you press shift and click on the icons you can label them.

As for the 3 minutes per turn that's fine. Some people are faster than others. At 4 minutes the opponent can time you out but most people are nice enough not to do that anyway.

As for where to look I'd say don't worry about the log at the bottom left unless you feel like you need to see what you rolled or go back and see what happened previously. Almost all the information you're going to need is on the pitch.

Hope that helps bud! Welcome to fumbbl and have fun!

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, watch the pitch, the dice show up there as the action happens. Have players marked so you don't have to check the side panels too often.

There's a trail of numbers behind a player that's moving, which lets you see where they started, and players shade over as they finish their turn. If you watch, you'll get to understand the actions pretty quickly.

I sometimes glance at the action log, see if people are passing or handing off, every now and then scroll up to check the exact numbers if something looked strange, glance at the reroll icon to see if it's been used, or check how many they have left (always check my own, along with the turn count, at the start of my turns).

Personally I can type while watching the pitch, touch typing is a handy skill like that. If you can't, just type quick things, grats, gg, emotes, and stuff, it's all good.

My turns are mostly up near 4 minutes, especially with 22 on pitch, but I'm only a few hundred games in and still learning the ropes. But I'll get there. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll get the hang of it in no time Smile don't worry

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Watching replays of good players playing the teams I play as helped me understand some basic tactics, and I downloaded the living rulebook so one can look up the skills, though there probably is an online version.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Desultory wrote:
Watching replays of good players playing the teams I play as helped me understand some basic tactics, and I downloaded the living rulebook so one can look up the skills, though there probably is an online version.

Just here in the help section is skill cheat sheet mate its been helpful for me many times

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah sounds to me that watching some games would be beneficial. Either spectate mode, replays or.......youtube? Sann for example explains what he's doing, which I think would be beneficial to you.

Regarding time. You should take as long as you need. No more, no less. If you go over 4 minutes, it's not a crime, but your opponent may end your turn. For newer players it is expected that they'll need longer than experienced players.

Another issue with time is that if there is a disparity in playing speed. This will become magnified. I.e. the faster player will need less time (as he's already worked it out in the slower players turn) and the slower player will need more time (as he didn't have time to work anything out in the faster players turn).

Lastly, playing speed should not be used as a tactic. E.g. deliberately playing slow.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Peter,

to get used to the interface you can launch a game in test mode.

Click play next to one of your teams and enter gamename that starts with 'test:'.
Repeat for another team of yours.
You now have two clients open to play vs yourself in hotseat mode.
A test game is a virtual game, so all spps, casualities or other results will be deleted afterwards. It doesn't count for anything. You can abandon a test game any time you like.
Desultory

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

^ brilliant

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all your advice.

Maybe I'm too focused on the specific dicerolls (which you need to be when playing TT). I guess it’s really not that important online, the important thing is whether something succeeds or not - and that info is visible on the pitch.

The possibility to mark players are great - I will definitely do that.

The same with a testgame against myself. I think that will be really usable for me.

And I guess I should also learn take my time, and not be too stressed about how fast my opponent is. That is going to be hard for me - but I think that will really help (I'm not talking about spending more than 4 minutes, just that its ok to use more than my opponent, and more than 2). Laughing

P.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I would also spend some time watching other games. Spectating games is both fun and very informative to both new and veteran players (you can spend more time watching what other coaches do without being distracted by trying to plan your own moves). Welcome!

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
Hi Peter,

to get used to the interface you can launch a game in test mode.

Click play next to one of your teams and enter gamename that starts with 'test:'.
Repeat for another team of yours.
You now have two clients open to play vs yourself in hotseat mode.
A test game is a virtual game, so all spps, casualities or other results will be deleted afterwards. It doesn't count for anything. You can abandon a test game any time you like.

Just tried this, but I couldn't get it to work Sad

When I enter the game name (I used Test:1) on the second team, it tells me that there already is a game with that name.

If I try to enter the game by pressing "List open games" and "play" it says "you're already logged in" or "wrong password".

What do I do wrong??
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

You need a space after the colon. And maybe the word "test" needs to be in lower-case.

test: 1

If you did that correctly, and just mistyped it here, maybe someone is already playing a test game called "test: 1".

I recommend something you can easily differentiate from other people playing their test games. Like test: coachcool or something.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not pay attention to the text (log or chat) during your turn. It's more for reference after the fact. Don't let reading that slow your turns down. But *Amen* to those who suggested spectating more. That's the best way to watch for patterns, armchair quarterback, as well as chat with other folks spectating and learn more. Tournament games and games with a popular matchup are great places to do that.

Welcome! Have fun! Nuffle will still hose you over... don't take it personally Wink
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2016 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll pick it up at your own pace. The client can be a bit odd at first, but after a dozen or so games you should start to not notice the things you noticed when you first started to notice things.

I'm not sure that spectating makes that much difference either, but spectating is a nice way to have some conversations with other spectators.

Replays are even less valuable for this, though if you want to just focus on game tactics they can be a good source of information.

test: matches are really nice to screw around with the UI without having to worry about irritating your opponent.
 Jump to: